Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie to Green Laning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

cameron1590
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Newbie to Green Laning Reply with quote

Hi All,

Looking to get myself two wheels again after a good three or four years stuck with four! Fancy trying some green laning and have been recommend the following bikes:

CRF250 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-honda-crf-250-x-road-regesterd/123793148855

WR250 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-WR-250-Road-Legal-11-Months-MOT-Electric-Start/323823156674

I have seen these on eBay, the crf250 has no record of mileage or hours ran which is a little alarming for me, it’s a 2005 and the asking price is £1,950 the WR250 is a 2007 covered 5k miles and price £1,800. How does these prices weight up?

Just wondered if people recommended these bikes or something else?

Thanks

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your shoes a little while back.
Started with KLX 250 loved it.
Then DR350 - still have it.
Now KTM 250f Freeride. That is my go to bike. Daughter just got one too. They are light, nimble, forgiving and great in technical stuff. They are less good at ripping along or fully pledged enduro .... but that’s not what I come across very often on the green lanes.

The wr got an alloy frame around 07 so check it’s one of those not the steel frame predecessor. Both the wr and crf are a bit heavy for my tastes. Both tall if that’s an issue. I think it depends on the type of riding and rider. There can be a bit of macho nonsense about power output and suspension travel .... try as many as you can before you buy and buy what suits your use.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably either of those would have done to get a taster.

Are like me and want to pootle about on mild green lanes on a bike that doesn't slip from under you on wet grass.
Or do you imagine bouncing over boulders and fallen trees?
Racing about trying to stay with a group, pointlessly revving, doing wheelies and throwing mud everywhere... Rolling Eyes

You need to try it for a year or two to find out more.
Maybe it's your only bike and you also might ride it to work or to the supermarket.
You don't need to go full hooligan to be able to ride lanes outside depths of winter when mud is axle deep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Or do you imagine bouncing over boulders and fallen trees?
Racing about trying to stay with a group, pointlessly revving, doing wheelies and throwing mud everywhere... Rolling Eyes

This is the best bit.

I've just moved from a 450 4T to a 200 2T, and I'm loving every minute, though it's probably the absolute worst bike on the road, ever.

I paid just under the 2k mark for my 07 200EXC, 60h, years MOT, 99kgs, batshit loopy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Newbie to Green Laning Reply with quote

cameron1590 wrote:
Hi All,

Looking to get myself two wheels again after a good three or four years stuck with four! Fancy trying some green laning and have been recommend the following bikes:

The first sentence sounds like you want a road bike that can *maybe* tackle some light off-road duties. The second sentence, and the bikes you link to, are more like you want an off-road bike that can handle some on-road work.

Regardless, the choice of bikes in either camp is limited.

Also, one consideration is how far away from green lanes you live - also, the kinds of lanes you have access to. Are you sure you have a decent network of routes to go at? If you'll have to ride a distance to get to them, you might have to think about getting a tow bar and a dedicated bike trailer. I have to ride best part of 16 miles to get to the lanes I prefer to tackle (I can string a route together from stuff starting almost literally on my door step, but some of it's naughty, none of it's challenging, and I know it too well). So further afield wins.

However, although 16-17 miles is nowt, the prospect of getting on the klx and riding there is - after several years - starting to lose its allure. Don't underestimate the need for comfort. Even if you'll be up on the pegs for 75%+ of the time once the tarmac ends, realistically speaking, most of your miles are going to be on road. And there on seat. Yes, you can get seat foam re-profiled by your tame local upholsterer for not much monies, but eh - it's probably not going to make much difference.

One other thing - having a trailer is all well and good, but you're then committed to routes with loops, or retracing you steps back to the start point. So the convenience can bring its own restrictions.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I limit myself to riding my Beta Xtrainer 20 road miles to a meet point.

My CRF250L I sometimes rode that 100+miles and then green laned it, even on motorways it was okay, and then would go trail riding.

The Xtrainer just isn't great on the road. Though I did once ride it 95 road miles, just before I got new tyres and pistion, and it sucked, got off for a rest every 20 miles or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:52 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere near Manchester? I would be up for selling my '96 XR250. £1k including spare new tyres, brake pads etc. Can even throw in my off road gear if you want it.

I can't play out often enough to justify the space in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1