Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what is the best budget track bike - novice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: what is the best budget track bike - novice Reply with quote

as per title
what is the best budget bike for minimal outlay and minimal running costs, that can still keep up on with other novice group riders on their r6/r1/gsxrbusas

long story short, i bought a 4xv r1 to track. turns out of absolutely love it to bits and after crashing my last bike on track i dont want to repeat it as months later im still rebuilding it Sad

I've considered sv650, er5/gpz500(which ive owned before a few years ago) but can't help thinking i'd get bored of being left behind on the straights time after time

as above. am 'novice' on track, maybe 2 or 3 track days a year so don't want to invest too much into it at this point.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:21 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been making CBR6's for a long time, they are superbly competent motorcycles and they hold many lap records. Steel frames are reputed to be tough as old boots. You can get cheap chinese plastics for them, as well as a full range of R&G survival aids.

Not necessarily an RR, you'll get a better condition F in the budget market.

The bike will be more competant than the rider for a very long time but without trying to murder you.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is finite, things are replaceable. Use the R1.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:37 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap sportsbike. Doesn't really matter what. I'd probably avoid ZX7R's and stuff due to the weight, but CBR600, Thundercat, ZX6R, GSXR600 or 750 SRAD onwards... things like that.

Don't look for a specific type of bike, just look for something cheap that's been well maintained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been watching ebay and faceache pages for a few weeks to gauge prices.
The steel frames cbr600s look to do well, i hadn't considered those.

Am still undecided on whether a cbr600 or 750 srad would be that much more expensive on consumables like tyres, chains n sprockets etc than something like a cb500.

As an example ,the R1 C&S was ~£150 vs my old gpz500 C&S at £70. Same with tyres. If i can keep the consumable cost down it would be ideal as i already have 2 bikes that empty my wallet on a regular basis.

I know doing anythjing on track is expensive but its just a bit of fun for me. The money saved on cheaper consumables would mean more track days

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:40 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
have been watching ebay and faceache pages for a few weeks to gauge prices.
The steel frames cbr600s look to do well, i hadn't considered those.

Am still undecided on whether a cbr600 or 750 srad would be that much more expensive on consumables like tyres, chains n sprockets etc than something like a cb500.

As an example ,the R1 C&S was ~£150 vs my old gpz500 C&S at £70. Same with tyres. If i can keep the consumable cost down it would be ideal as i already have 2 bikes that empty my wallet on a regular basis.

I know doing anythjing on track is expensive but its just a bit of fun for me. The money saved on cheaper consumables would mean more track days

Both are just as hard on consumables on track. Don't think like this. You'll get bored of a CB500 unless you're a front runner in the CB500 cup. Anything less than a sports 600 will be frustrating on track because you'll get passed by the world and his wife.

Honestly, forget consumables, forget MPG, forget heated grips. This is the track. My CBR600 has been on the same tyres, the same chain and sprockets and the same brake pads for two years. The most maintenance is oil changes, and tweaks to things like the brakes, on mine the manual camchain adjuster and things like that.

If you manage to burn through a chain and sprockets on a 600 in a year, then you probably should be racing. But you won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Also... it's a trackbike. If you need chain and sprockets and can't afford it... miss a trackday. It can sit in the garage until you're ready. This is far better than having a slow bike and just getting your confidence ruined by people blasting past you on S1000RRs. A CBR600 has enough power to stop that ruining the experience.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Also... it's a trackbike. If you need chain and sprockets and can't afford it... miss a trackday. It can sit in the garage until you're ready. This is far better than having a slow bike and just getting your confidence ruined by people blasting past you on S1000RRs. A CBR600 has enough power to stop that ruining the experience.

That is a good point :facepalm:

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so continues the ridiculous attitude that you need a minimum of 600cc for a track bike...

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
And so continues the ridiculous attitude that you need a minimum of 600cc for a track bike...

Depends how good you are. I've done a few trackdays in inters on 50bhp and it can get frustrating, but maybe if I was at a higher level it wouldn't be. I tend to agree that 100bhp for your average person would be more enjoyable.

It's a trackday at the end of the day, not racing.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a trackday, not racing then the bhp shouldn't matter. But realistically all trackdays turn into some kind of race. If you feel the need to beat the 50bhp blokes in the inters but don't have the skills buy an ex track CBR steely. If you want to just get the best out of you and a bike get a CB500, great fun bikes.
Just buy something for fun, 'race' the people the same speed as you and have a good time.

OGR.
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:41 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evotion wrote:
Do you think one is better off buying a new, say, CBR650R at 8k or a second hand R6, or similar, at the same price?

Thinking of longevity, running costs, etc, balanced against fun and thrills.

Neither, but to indulge you for a moment, the R6 is a better track bike in every way. The CBR650R is a Hornet in a frock, not a full on supersport machine.

I would always recommend people to do what I did and buy a secondhand 600 from around the 2007/2008 mark. No catalytic converters, no ABS, less weight. You can get something decent for about £2500-£3000 and will embarass people on their HP4's and things when they can't get around corners.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1