Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fuel consumption

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: fuel consumption Reply with quote

Sorry for being a muppet but at a steady 55mph what would be more economical,1 cyl,2cyl,3cyl or 4 cyl?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those hypothetical engines have the same power output?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:28 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: fuel consumption Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Sorry for being a muppet but at a steady 55mph what would be more economical,1 cyl,2cyl,3cyl or 4 cyl?

It's not that simple. Generally, the more power from a given amount of fuel means more cylinders but at a constant speed?

The one with the fairing...

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

within reason.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

within reason.

In that case, definately the one with the most slippery fairing.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: fuel consumption Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the other thread you started, I wrote:
Back away from the spreadsheets...

Still holds. Just ride the fucking thing.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fuel efficiency you might want to start with the power to weight ratio rather than the number of cylinders.

For example, of the bikes I'm looking at the moment:

Honda Rebel: 33.5kW for 190kg = 176W per kg

HD Street 750: 43kW for 223kg = 192W per kg

Kwak Vulcan S: 45kW for 229kg = 192W per kg

This is only a basic starting point but it gives you a ball park before you get into how well the engines are tuned.

Also consider that every bike has a certain amount of unavoidable "dead weight" (e.g. the rider but also little niceties like wheels and fuel tank, brakes etc.) before considering the engine weight. The proportion of dead weight vs engine power mostly favours the bigger bikes but lets have a look at something much bigger:

HD Fat Boy: 64kW for 304kg = 210W per kg

So for almost 100kg more weight there's barely any substantial usable power gain. It still looks like the Fat Boy might be a better bet from just the numbers but then you have to take into account it wants high octane fuel...

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:05 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerodynamics and rolling friction is the bigger factor on cruising fuel economy than weight. It's why a lot of cars cruising on the motorway are more economical than many bikes.

Weight affects economy when you are braking and accelerating.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 06:42 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late 80's, piston ported 100cc 2-stroke should return considerably in excess of 100mpg at 55mph.

A C90 would also be well up there pushing 3 figures too.

A "vanilla" 350 bullet would be returning mid 80's mpg and should mamage to do 55mph under most circumstances.

So on that basis, a single cylinder.

But do you want to ride one of those bikes?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: fuel consumption Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

no

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:25 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with the most efficient engine, that is working at its optimum efficiency around 55mph.
I could now spout all kinds of barely understood shite about peak torque, pumping efficiency and specific fuel consumption. Even if I was accurate on the numbers, it wouldn't translate into real-world use.

At 55mph, just about anything you might be considering will return in excess of 70mpg. Fuel burn not worth measuring beyond that point.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help / confuse you more, if this is in ‘whats cheapest to go to work on’ you need to start considering running costs too.
Are you able to service it yourself? Are tyres cheap? What’s the depreciation like? Insurance?
A brand new bike that does 80-100mpg but costs you a large percentage of the total purchase cost over a couple of years and which you had serviced by a franchised dealer (for the warranty) would most likely be more real world money out of your pocket than a bike a few years older that does say 50-60mpg but only loses a few hundred pounds at most in depreciation (if at all) and is serviced by Fred the local motorcycle dealer...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel has a fixed quantity of energy available per litre (or gallon if you prefer). The majority of fuel burned in even the most efficient engine is still waste heat, but this proportion increases with inefficiency.

I'm not convinced that number of cylinders is the biggest factor, but typically 4 pots tend to be more performance orientated than 2 pots (not always, but typically).

Fuel injected will be more efficient than a carb'd bike as the former should provide the fuel quantity needed more accurately. Faired bikes should be more slippery in the air, so should be better. Weight is largely irrelevant at a constant speed on the flat.

Just look at the book figures and see what they suggest . . . don't expect to get the figures they quote, but they're reasonable for a like-for-like comparison.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Leopussy Smile

How do you propose to get any fun out of life?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Hello Mr. Leopussy Smile

A couple of hours on Fuelly.com, some Swarfega and a box of tissues.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Green Swarfega. Not orange.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
* Green Swarfega. Not orange.

Worrying how that occurred to me, too Pale
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Leopussy Smile

in all honesty im just trying to fill the time until death happens, i like to think that life is deaths waiting room and a bit like a doctors appointment your never sure when your going to called in.There is no fun to be had in waiting.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:36 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
There is no fun to be had in waiting.

Nor spreadsheets or querying the mpg. Ride it, enjoy it, don't look too much into it.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

its painful spending a fiver in 30miles though i thought id achieve much better than that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Hello Mr. Leopussy Smile

in all honesty im just trying to fill the time until death happens, i like to think that life is deaths waiting room and a bit like a doctors appointment your never sure when your going to called in.There is no fun to be had in waiting.

Just killing time, till time kills me Smile

Take your own book or magazines to read Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
its painful spending a fiver in 30miles though i thought id achieve much better than that.

Shocked I thought you had an MT07, not the fuckin Space Shuttle!

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:46 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

Shocked I thought you had an MT07, not the fuckin Space Shuttle!

exactly!!!!! i thought it was a bit juicy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So given we know that you're not caning it everywhere (not even faintly close Laughing ), have you considered your bike might have a problem that needs addressing, rather than you going off and considering a different bike to reduce your fuel consumption?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2