Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Virtue Signalling Top Trumps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Virtue Signalling Top Trumps Reply with quote

Getting inspiration from another thread I was thinking this might make a good game in the same vein as Cards Against Humanity.

The original Top Trumps had a "thing" (e.g. speed boats) and various metrics like top speed, engine size, etc. and the players would call a metric and the winner was the one with the highest.

I'm not sure that format would work so well. Maybe something like pairs of cards like you could lay down:

"Somalian Refugee" and then play your "Race Card" and that would beat "White Van Man" + "Daily Mail Reader."

Needs some work obviously but open to suggestions Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:22 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7fUQXskvA
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-binary
Animal kin

The worst scoring card you can have would clearly be a cis-gendered white male

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... I'm thinking you could easily win a round if you played these cards together:

Black + Woman + Feminist + Lesbian + Single Mother + Paraplegic

But then you might leave yourself some really crap ones like:

White + Male + Heterosexual + Middle Class + Stock Broker

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It's looking like the current scoring system categories, in order of points goes something like..

Gender re-assignment
Cross Dresser
Gay
Muslim
Black
Refugee
Climate not staying identical year to year
Plastic waste
Disabled
Ginger
Feminist
Vegan
Teacher.

That only leaves Jeremy Clarkson.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about special cards like:

"White Knight" - double the points of one selected card and discard another...

So you could do White + Male + Feminist and double your feminist points and discard either White or Male.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
How about special cards like:

"White Knight" - double the points of one selected card and discard another...

So you could do White + Male + Feminist and double your feminist points and discard either White or Male.

You could add:

Religious bigot (any religion)
Homophobe (extra point for self-confessed queer-basher)
Woman hater (any race)
Racist (from any race)
Climate change denier
Smug bastard
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

You could add:

Religious bigot (any religion) Other than Islam
Homophobe (extra point for self-confessed queer-basher) except if Muslim.
Woman hater (any race) except any race made up of mainly Muslims
Racist (from any race) as above and also include any black skinned race.
Climate change denier (unless accompanied by high scoring SJW points)
Smug bastard (except left wing remain patronising smug bastards)

Hand

I've corrected your fatal flaw.

No, all you've done is reduce the number of people who can play...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Or any other white, British, able bodied, heterosexual male, or as we're known to leftie - racist gammon Nazi.

Has it occurred to you that it is possible to be a white male and not feel threatened by everybody on that list?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

No, all you've done is reduce the number of people who can play...

I'm not sure you understand Top Trumps. This is the scoring system only.

Back +10
White -10

Gay +20
Straight -20

Muslim +40
Athiest -20

That sort of thing.

Perhaps it should be described as 'uni-directional' Top Trumps...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many points for racist piece of shit?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Black or White, Gay or Straight, Muslim or Athiest. How is that uni-directional?

Because you describe it as 'virtue signalling' with the highest scores going to people furthest from your view of an ideal human. Using your scoring system, the cards would go from Tommy Robinson up to a black Muslim disabled homosexual cross-dressing refugee teacher who believes in the idea of climate change and recycles.

It is uni-directional therefore because it goes from one end of your spectrum to the other with no allowance for, say a kiddie-fiddling Catholic priest who likes to wear women's clothing but drives a monster truck and hates immigrants.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammon
Nazi
Antisemitic
Corbyn Supporter
Val
IRA sympathizer
Women's World Cup fan
Daily Mail Reader
Christian
Donald Trump
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think we need some cards that have positive & negative points e.g Black +10, White -10. And then others would be multipliers so Protester x2 is pointless to play for White (think NF marches) unless you can wipe the negative points somehow...

Like play the Hypocrisy card to ignore Has Trust Fund and Travels By Jet.

Somehow we also need cards to clash like what happens if you play Muslim followed by Gay?

Hmm... so let see what metrics we have:

Biological sex
Identified sex
Sexual preference
Race
Culture
Nationality
Religion
Politics
Able bodied / fitness
Job
Living arrangements
Diet

Special cards:

White Knight
Milkshake
Hypocrisy
Triggered
Protester

I think I'll be having a long hard look at "Demarginalizing The Intersection Of Race And Sex: A Black Feminist Critique Of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory And Antiracist Politics."

and Magic: The Gathering Shocked

The good news is that there is already a "points system" of sorts in that there are plenty of "for 1 dollar earned by a white male a black woman only takes home 64 cents" etc.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top trump cards wouldn't have a +10 or -10. They would have a score. because with cars it was things like top speed, bhp, 0-60 time and stuff like that.

So if it was like top-trumps you'd need categories like:

"Gender certainty"

"Heterosexuality"

"Disability score"

"Slap factor"

"Stridency"

Then if say I drew Janet Street-Porter and my opponent drew Abu Hamza. If it was my call, JSP would the the "top trump" on stridency (pretty much anywhere in the pack) where as Abu Hamza would score fairly highly on that but would trump JSP on disability.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:01 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your privilege top trumps.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Then if say I drew Janet Street-Porter and my opponent drew Abu Hamza. If it was my call, JSP would the the "top trump" on stridency (pretty much anywhere in the pack) where as Abu Hamza would score fairly highly on that but would trump JSP on disability.

Yeah, that would work really well for the traditional "Top Trumps" we all knew of old but the kids want something with more depth these days like "Cards against Humanity" or "Exploding Kittens" Wink

I worry that the subject matter being what it is that after a couple of plays old skool Top Trumps would lose its shine. "This isn't as much fun as when I was a kid" sort of thing.

I picture it being a two player game where you lay down one card at a time and a few cards into the hand you think "fuck it, I'm not doing well here, I'm gonna have to play the Race card..." or "Dammit, Tarquin, why'd you have to go and spoil it all by throwing a milkshake at my commune-dwelling vegan social worker?!"

Another thought...

Extra points for something like "Youth Club volunteer" but they turn into negative points if someone lays down a "paedo" card Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2