Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Means tested TV licences for the over 75's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Means tested TV licences for the over 75's Reply with quote

Fury at decision to means-test BBC licence for elderly.

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/fury-at-decision-to-means-test-bbc-licence-for-elderly-11364368820552

Although it seems the government is getting the sharp end of the stick rather than Al Beeb.

I know this won't directly affect anyone here because TV licence? What's that? Laughing

Is it time to let the BBC sink or swim in the real world and scrap the licence fee completely or is it worth twice the price of Netflix or Amazon prime, more than BTTV and for half as much again, the basic Sky or Virgin package.

The Tory party, the party of freedom of choice and private enterprise still support the BBC. Weird.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the government subsidised the free licences so the BBC got the money for them from the government.

Now they have to either lose that revenue stream or come up with a different way of doing it, hence the means testing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the BBC still occasionally make a cracking documentary, but generally, their slip in quality is huge.
They were never entirely impartial, but it has got ridiculous. 'Fraid I think it's time to scrap the whole thing. I would just like to think that something better could replace them, but all MSM seems to be going the same way. They're fast becoming an irrelevance.

A BBC equivalent to the National Geographic channel could be good. That would be BBCFour I suppose.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
No, the government subsidised the free licences so the BBC got the money for them from the government.

Now they have to either lose that revenue stream or come up with a different way of doing it, hence the means testing.

I didn't know that. I wonder if the government actually pay them the total fee or if the BBC just get away with a £5M lower tax bill? Does it even pay tax?

You don't know much about the TV licence, you keep telling us it's compulsory to pay it.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of its faults, I trust the Beeb more than the rest when it comes to daily news. There are people at the extreme ends of political, social and religious spectrums who call it biased, but you can't please everybody.

Perhaps in this era of on-demand viewing, the Beeb should follow suit for most of its content. Anything to do with 'celebs', DIY, baking, Kirsty Allsop, hospitals or any other repetitive nonsense should go 'on demand', and real programmes should start at 21.00. We could have a nice, reaasuring test-card of a girl, a toy clown and a blackboard up until that point. At 21.00 we could have the news followed by a decent drama and a documentary narrated by David Attenborough. 'Urban poetry' in trailers needs to go. Programmes should shut down at midnight followed by a receeding white dot, a gentle whistling noise and a faint crackle of static.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
For all of its faults, I trust the Beeb more than the rest when it comes to daily news. There are people at the extreme ends of political, social and religious spectrums who call it biased, but you can't please everybody.

Perhaps in this era of on-demand viewing, the Beeb should follow suit for most of its content. Anything to do with 'celebs', DIY, baking, Kirsty Allsop, hospitals or any other repetitive nonsense should go 'on demand', and real programmes should start at 21.00. We could have a nice, reaasuring test-card of a girl, a toy clown and a blackboard up until that point. At 21.00 we could have the news followed by a decent drama and a documentary narrated by David Attenborough. 'Urban poetry' in trailers needs to go. Programmes should shut down at midnight followed by a receeding white dot, a gentle whistling noise and a faint crackle of static.

You forgot the National Anthem!

As for 'on demand', I find the i player bloody annoying in that most of what I want to watch isn't there or won't be there for ages. It's the worst of the major tv channels 'catch up' services by far.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't afford to pay for any sport, except the Women's World Cup.
But still wants more money
K then Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Of course you trust it. The organisation is full of people who share your overly liberal fantasy outlook of the world. Wink

More repeats than Top Gear on Dave, you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Can't afford to pay for any sport, except the Women's World Cup.
But still wants more money
K then Thumbs Up

What's wrong with the women's world cup?

There are some very delectable ladies on view. OK, they really can't play football for sh1t but who's looking at them for that reason. Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
For all of its faults, I trust the Beeb more than the rest when it comes to daily news.

That's because their web pages have a link: "i Why you can trust BBC News" at the bottom of them.... so it must be true.... Snort!

Like hell. When they are left to their own devices, they spew their own agenda; when the government tell them what to say, they do exactly that.

Yes, look at their news if you like. Then look at the same stories in the global press, and take an average.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:11 - 10 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Diggs wrote:
For all of its faults, I trust the Beeb more than the rest when it comes to daily news.

That's because their web pages have a link: "i Why you can trust BBC News" at the bottom of them.... Snort!

Like hell. When they are left to their own devices, they spew their own agenda; when the government tell them what to say, they do exactly that.

Yes, look at their news if you like. Then look at the same stories in the global press, and take an average.

Hate to break it to you, but Sky has the very same.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Diggs wrote:

That's because their web pages have a link: "i Why you can trust BBC News" at the bottom of them.... Snort!

I did say 'for all its faults...'. What would you prefer - Rupert Murdoch?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even Rebel Media? Popular with some on here I don't doubt but not necessarily impartial...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Why do you "hate to break it to me"? Bizarre.

As I said, take an average.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I did say 'for all its faults...'. What would you prefer - Rupert Murdoch?

You're due a visit to the sin bin.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Is there a single mainstream news source which is biased to the right of Centre now?

Sky has gone pretty left wing and pro EU of late, as has ITV. The local ITV news where I live is terribly left wing now and has very little news content anymore. It’s all propaganda, project fear and every night we have a sob story of some poor disabled people being downtrodden by the nasty Tories.

Al Beeb is notoriously left wing and Channel “fuck the Tories” 4 is embarrassingly Liberal. I’ve given up completely with TV news.

Stop paying your tv licence then, as there mustn't be anything left that you do actually watch.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Why do you "hate to break it to me"? Bizarre.

You said it after I had posted.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Is there a single mainstream news source which is biased to the right of Centre now?

Sky has gone pretty left wing and pro EU of late, as has ITV. The local ITV news where I live is terribly left wing now and has very little news content anymore. It’s all propaganda, project fear and every night we have a sob story of some poor disabled people being downtrodden by the nasty Tories.

Al Beeb is notoriously left wing and Channel “fuck the Tories” 4 is embarrassingly Liberal. I’ve given up completely with TV news.

Stop paying your tv licence then, as there mustn't be anything left that you do actually watch.

I saw what you did there.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still pay the fee, my kids like CBeebies and my wife would most probably be uncomfortable with not paying it, although I've never actually raised it with her. Pretty much everything we watch as adults is online. I'd much rather use the licence fee for another online subscription, and that might be something we do in the future.
The licence fee is very poor value for money across all broadcast channels, and the BBC output is dogshit.
Scrap the licence fee. Thumbs Up

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring all the arguments about left wing / right wing bias, does anyone think that the BBC is good value?
At some point over the next few decades the BBC is going to transition as the majority of people stop watching live TV, and stop paying a licence fee.

Maybe the question should be, when will the BBC have to go commercial to survive?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4