Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This weather is getting ridiculous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: This weather is getting ridiculous Reply with quote

I've actually put my bike away now - I'm just cooking when I try and ride it, probably bearable if I lived/worked in the sticks, but trying to commute through Manchester in these temperatures . . . urgh. I can see why so many decide to ride in shorts and t-shirt (although I still think they're cockwombles for doing so).

On the other hand, the thunderstorms on Tuesday night were incredible (never seen so much lightning in quick succession) . . . might be more of the same later with any luck!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global warming, innit. All that energy has to go somewhere.

Should anyone care to discuss the matter, I think there's a more appropriate thread elsewhere....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many muzzies, or is it mozzies around. Thinking

The one that likes sucking your blood, Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Too many muzzies, or is it mozzies around. Thinking

Oh, God, no. Just don't, the thread will immediately be polluted.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:41 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Global warming, innit.

Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of Spirograph and the rise in global temperatures?

Think about it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a very similar spell over England in 1990, only I went to Scotland for a week - where it was 15C and drizzly most days.
Early August 2003 it was impossible to drive one day, as the steering wheel was too hot to hold.
Today seems quite pleasant here hovering round 30C with low humidity and stiff breeze.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try riding in a t-shirt and shorts. Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:06 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Agreed, however today was literally fucking roasting in anything. I welcomed the torrential downpour we had for 2-3 minutes on my ride home.

doggone wrote:
Today seems quite pleasant here hovering round 30C with low humidity and stiff breeze.

It was closer to 40 and a hot breeze without the breeze here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 30°C in my office, no A/C because of budget cuts. I don't quite mind as much. My boss does not require any dress code, so shorts and a t-shirt all day long, I even take my shoes off. The only time I have got to dress up is for a meeting with the clients/public, which is rare during summer.

What I do not enjoy about the yet another heat wave is the public transportation. There must be above 45°C in the trams and the air is just so thick and full of smells, that I tend to walk home, rather than taking the tram.

It could be worse though. This year it is very dry, so there are at least no mosquitos and other annoying insects.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: This weather is getting ridiculous Reply with quote

Today was actually quite bad, doing motorcycle courier work in this heat can't be good for the bike as well as myself.

Sadly many people, mostly the food delivery lot were wearing just jeans and a t-shirt, no protection at all.

However I survived the day, people offered water at many places I went to today.

Got caught in a couple of 30 second downpours, dried out in 20 minutes.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was tropical out there today. I did actually get out for a ride (no gear, T-shirt) and it was pretty bad. Headaches despite constant water drinking, etc. Saw a couple of couriers and food delivery guys and they seemed understandably grumpy despite the T-shirts and shorts. It did bring me back to my days in an equatorial country - motorcycle taxis, etc. All depends on what you're used to. At least we don't get the smog and insane levels of traffic.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Global warming, innit.

Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of Spirograph and the rise in global temperatures?

Think about it.

Tut tut. Beware of assuming causes when correlating data.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:31 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirograph denier.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Spirograph denier.

I could never get those sodding things to work, nothing like on the adverts,

prefrred etch a sketch

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, today every customer said "I bet your hot" or words to that effect Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Ste wrote:
Spirograph denier.

I could never get those sodding things to work, nothing like on the adverts,

prefrred etch a sketch

Both of those, you could guarantee that you'd be 95% into your masterpiece, then one of your pens/wheels/hands would slip and draw an unerasable line straight through the fucking middle of it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday it felt like I drank my body weight in water. Started the day at 7am and didn't have a piss till 4pm Shocked

Chatting to a guy doing his CBT and he reckoned from the morning to the late afternoon he'd shed 6 pounds in weight (he'd nipped home for a shower half way though the course!)

Now I'm back in the office I'm like "can we turn the aircon off, bit chilly in here!" Very Happy

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:17 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was horrific yesterday, I really need to get myself something cooler than my commuter special jacket, I was pissing sweat on my way home yesterday.

Still, it was better than being on the train, I think all of the trains from Birmingham to Hednesford were cancelled from lunchtime yesterday to well after I got home and cracked the top off a bottle of cider.

This bike commuting lark is definitely the way forward.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I removed the weather app from my phone and it does help, a bit. Just got home, and the thermometer at home says 32°C, but it sure felt like fewer degrees lower. Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the weekend it's going to lag it down, no doubt those complaining it's too hot, will then be complaining about the rain over this coming weekend !!. Wednesday & yesterday I've ridden over 300 miles, including getting caked in crud from the remnants of the thunderstorm overnight Tuesday/Wednesday morning, and, it's been fine, had to give the bike a good clean on Wednesday evening, but that's been about it

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I do regularly

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

t-shirt yes, shorts, not with these legs ! Laughing Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: This weather is getting ridiculous Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Record low temperatures in parts of Germany including Saxony last week, also on Finland's eastern border on 8 July. I don't remember Al Beeb screaming about global cooling.

Come now, we all know they changed it from 'Global Warming' to 'Climate Change' when statistics proved there was no noticeable warming going on.
Now they can have it both ways. It's still strange to me that the highest spells and the lowest spells can often be found 100+ years ago, well before we were firing carbon into the atmosphere at a ferocious rate.

I'm not suggesting it does nothing of course, that would be foolish. It's just that if you collate all the data and trim off 10% outlying temps, the mean temperature of the earth has hardly changed in that 100 years.

That wont stop them putting another tax on your flights though:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-and-allowances-for-air-passenger-duty

I wonder what they are going to do to prove the income goes directly to cleaning our atmosphere.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It surprises me that the earth has such stable temperatures really. When you consider how much closer the Sahara is to the sun than the UK is, and the temp there is so much higher.
However Solar flares can be much greater than that distance (I'm not sure if they even track such small occurrences) but when one is aimed towards us the temp doesn't suddenly become 200c.
If it did I'd definately get a home aircon unit...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2