Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sky News on the North South divide

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Sky News on the North South divide Reply with quote

A lady on there from some part of Manchester said her services weren't good enough. She used Collyhurst as the representative of the North, and Brighton as the representative of the South. No mention of Cheshire though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Manchester inner city suburb v the gay capital of Britain. A shithole v a rather pleasant place. Good choice lady Laughing

I would have thought Harrogate was a better comparison to Brighton. Both Regency towns, both on the coast, but I suppose that wouldn't have created such a nice divide.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A Manchester inner city suburb v the gay capital of Britain. A shithole v a rather pleasant place. Good choice lady Laughing

I would have thought Harrogate was a better comparison to Brighton. Both Regency towns, both on the coast, but I suppose that wouldn't have created such a nice divide.

She seemed to forget that the GDP per capita of Brighton is going to stomp her part of Manc, so services are easier to afford, and probably more of them have private healthcare. Funny thing is that major northern cities actually get more infrastructure investment than most of the south coast does. The real issue though is not one of North vs South, but London vs Not London.

mpd72 wrote:
Brighton has a pretty sizeable homeless and drug community. It’s public services are sh1te too as the Greens really don’t have a clue what they’re doing.

It’s quite common to have mountains of rubbish piled up in the streets.

Especially when the Greens were in charge and refused to pay public sector workers more money so the binmen went on strike. Another brilliant Green party "success" you'll never hear about again on the BBC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Harrogate on the coast?

Your TomTom needs an update Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Harrogate on the coast?

Your TomTom needs an update Smile

Yes, I have no idea why I wrote that.

Mind you , this is the person that thought Pontefract was in Wales.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The real issue though is not one of North vs South, but London vs Not London.

Yes, ppl take it for granted but London is one of the two triple A class cities on this planet the other being New York. If you then compare the city to the country it's in the UK is obviously completely unbalanced compared to 'murica.

Personally I like to think that London is more important than New York given that it is both a financial and administrative hub (Washington D.C. is the administrative centre of the US.) And that puts its status as the de facto Centre of the Known Universe.

People naturally gravitate to great wonders.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This argument is in part why I believe that the UK government, its ministrys and Parliament should relocate to a more geographicly central city.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and 0 longitude goes through London.
For some reason the French wanted it to go through Paris.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Ignoring the blatant error of the coast link Laughing

From being in Brighton last year on holiday it is a darn sight better than Harrogate which is just down the road from me.
Harrogate is fast becoming a dead town.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there some grooming going on there?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
This argument is in part why I believe that the UK government, its ministrys and Parliament should relocate to a more geographicly central city.

By being central geographically, they won't be central to the most of the people, infrastructure, airports or business.

It's not about moving London, it's about increasing the use of other major cities such as Manchester and Birmingham. HS2 would help this, but is very unpopular from the same people whining about everything being about London.

They can each be sent to a different city. There is no reason for the MoD, Home Office and Dept of Health to all be next to each other, and plenty of reason to spread them out. The only reason they are in central London is because the civil service feel entitled to live in London on the taxpayers dime.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
] HS2 would help this, but is very unpopular from the same people whining about everything being about London.

I'd love to be able to use public transport for work, a train down to London... I've seriously not managed it this Millenia, some of us drive estate cars and vans and need kit and gear.

Regarding the divide, I've visited many shxt holes down south. There are some nice places up here, as said before Harrogate, Ripon, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Cumbria..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of the mod isn't in london.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The vast majority of the mod isn't in london.

I suspect thats a Cold War strategy to spread military resources around in the event London was A-bombed.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:58 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking 12 thousand on a site in Bristol sort of defeats the object of moving them out of London to spread them out. Bath was a known cold War target due to 'the admiralty' being based there.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

It's not about moving London, it's about increasing the use of other major cities such as Manchester and Birmingham. HS2 would help this,

So knocking 30 mins (here's hoping) off a trip to Brum. Will encourage companies etc to move north... Is pie in the sky joke land.

They can move now and save a fortune in costs. Staff would get better housing.
If anyone thinks that people will just hop on a train and commute from London to brum & other cities... They should be locked up.. Rolling Eyes

But remember that other cities are starting congestion charging soon.... Karma

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, everyone forgets what the true North is..
Oi Scotland! Can we join you? (Those Southerners can keep Middlesbrough though)

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HS2 makes little sense and is just an EU vanity project.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9015342/The-continent-is-the-final-destination-for-HS2.html

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for bringing this to public attention.
PC Khan will be most interested to hear of this matter...

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As someone who lives in a town where a high speed link
halved the travel time to London, I can categorically tell you that you’re wrong.

If anything it’s now too convenient and we’ve become a government dumping overspill for London.

I thought you were Huds based?

Wakey? Brighouse?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

As someone who lives in a town where a high speed link
halved the travel time to London, I can categorically tell you that you’re wrong.

If anything it’s now too convenient and we’ve become a government dumping overspill for London.

So just where is the town that offers 50% saving?

HS2 is not going to deliver a 50% time saving on a trip.

Quote:
the first phase from London to Birmingham coming in at £27bn.

So expect that to at least double.
They could throw that amount at a lot of companies to move out of London.... Then give us all a nice tax cut with the saving from the overspend.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3