Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can boots be re-waterproof'ed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:46 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Can boots be re-waterproof'ed? Reply with quote

My 2-3 year old RTS Adventure boots are getting a bit worn now... And sure I should probably get some new ones, the ankle shield is cracked right up.....

However monies a bit tight...

Ive had to do some riding in the heavy rain and my feet were utterly soaked, These things have lost what ever water resistance they had before.

Is it possible to treat the leather to reproof them?

As money is tight I really rather not just buy a new pair...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikwax.

Unfortunately they're not giving away the waterproofing conditioner for leather footwear at the moment. Sad

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old (proper!) NikWax, either in a tin or dissolved in solvent in a metal can, was excellent. The new stuff is a bit rubbish IMO.

I use this for my mountaineering boots which are subject to trudging around in slush and snow for up to 12 hours a day on climbing trips;

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15915087/scarpa-hs12-cream-15915087/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=2755fba0-7dfe-46a9-bfd0-09b37aed8b93&istItemId=wapiwltqq&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJzrxsHm4gIVT77tCh3vRQrlEAkYAiABEgLcivD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take a look at both, i just brought a tin of wax to redo my jacket....

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying out homemade dubbin.

Base recipe is 25% lard, 25% beeswax, 50% tallow. There's other things you can add.

Now i know this isn't anything fancy pansy or chemical pinnacle, but it's the traditional method, even my grandmother agrees they did it back then. Also, if you care for chemicals/environment or shit, this is 100% natural, and before they were in your feet, fat was attached to that leather keeping animals comfy.

Now, I haven't gotten beeswax yet because I couldn't find where, but I tried mixing the other two, and can say today's boots got less soaked/saturated than Monday's. Now, that I forgot to do up the laces might not have helped.

I was planning on getting moto boots because I figure where leaks happen is either the tongue (unless it's a bellows type) or between boot/sole, but Monday my a bit worn/untreated boots got completely soaked, are still drying, so I'm not sure how long "waterproof" moto boots last in heavy rain as I've never had any. I might consider some plastic boot covers instead.

I can give some updates on how the dubbin goes once I get the beeswax and apply it properly.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melting candlewax will work just as well

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:27 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Base recipe is 25% lard, 25% beeswax, 50% tallow. There's other things you can add.

Now i know this isn't anything fancy pansy or chemical pinnacle, but it's the traditional method, even my grandmother agrees they did it back then. Also, if you care for chemicals/environment or shit, this is 100% natural, and before they were in your feet, fat was attached to that leather keeping animals comfy.

Now, I haven't gotten beeswax yet because I couldn't find where, but I tried mixing the other two, and can say today's boots got less soaked/saturated than Monday's. Now, that I forgot to do up the laces might not have helped.

I was planning on getting moto boots because I figure where leaks happen is either the tongue (unless it's a bellows type) or between boot/sole, but Monday my a bit worn/untreated boots got completely soaked, are still drying, so I'm not sure how long "waterproof" moto boots last in heavy rain as I've never had any. I might consider some plastic boot covers instead.

I can give some updates on how the dubbin goes once I get the beeswax and apply it properly.

I was with you all the way up untill lard.... The trouble is unless the bees wax does something to the lard, it would just never set. So the boots will always be greasy and that grease will always soak through... Im not so sure about that one...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:49 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

From looking around online at details of such concoctions, there's loads of information about what types of lard to use, how to prepare the mixture and how to prepare the leather before application.

If anyone is going to try making something like themselves then I'd recommend they do some reading up on how to get the best results from it. Thumbs Up

Here's a straight forward enough page about it https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-your-own-leather-condioner-and-use-it.559003/ and there's plenty of other pages with further information.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I haven't gotten beeswax yet because I couldn't find where.

Pretty sure I have loads kicking around. PM me.

Edit: Yup, that's not even half of it Laughing

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/bees_wax.jpg

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh nice Very Happy you got hives?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Can boots be re-waterproof'ed? Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
My 2-3 year old RTS Adventure boots are getting a bit worn now... And sure I should probably get some new ones, the ankle shield is cracked right up.....

Carr's leather oil then Cherry Blossom dubbin.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Pretty sure I have loads (of beeswax) kicking around.

You too, huh?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
ohh nice Very Happy you got hives?

Nope, I (assistant) manage a workshop - the wax would have been used for polishing/coating at one stage.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out the last few nights green laning and my wulfsport enduro style boots are shit at keeping the water out unless you ratchet strap them so tight you get gangrene. Solution is simple though - put carrier bags over socks.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:50 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang that's a load of beeswax.

Ste wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Here's a straight forward enough page about it https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-your-own-leather-condioner-and-use-it.559003/ and there's plenty of other pages with further information.

Funny, I found that one too!

NutsyUk wrote:

I was with you all the way up untill lard.... The trouble is unless the bees wax does something to the lard, it would just never set. So the boots will always be greasy and that grease will always soak through... Im not so sure about that one...

You weren't with me for too long then Laughing

If you polish it enough the heat will help the leather absorb it, and it will then cure to a nice polish-able surface. I was reluctant at first, but my boots aren't greasy at all. Unless you have some coating that will prevent the leather from taking it in, I suppose. I'm no expert though, and my granddad isn't around to clarify, but people did do it and they sure weren't walking around with greasy boots.

I got tired, so I wrapped a big drill bit in a microfiber cloth and put some hairbands on the ends. It's not a cotton buffing wheel but it did the trick.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:59 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse saddle stuff works too

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pair of the newer sealskinz merino lined waterproof socks.

They come up to your knees, it's like wearing wellies under your boots, you can (literally) ford a river in them and have dry feet. Nowhere near as sweaty and uncomfortable as they used to be.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks Wax. It's superb stuff - I use it on my boots and gloves. It even smells nice Thumbs Up

https://www.duckswax.co.uk/

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:54 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Get a pair of the newer sealskinz merino lined waterproof socks.

They come up to your knees, it's like wearing wellies under your boots, you can (literally) ford a river in them and have dry feet. Nowhere near as sweaty and uncomfortable as they used to be.

That sounds nice. Is it a breathable waterproof membrane like xxx-tex.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

That sounds nice. Is it a breathable waterproof membrane like xxx-tex.

More breathable than the old ones that were like a plastic bag between two pairs of socks but no, I wouldn't call them properly breathable.

They are however merino lined so they wick moisture really well which keeps things comfy and don't stink.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant you just spray them with that nano waterrepellant spray?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-WATERPROOF-SPRAY-SHOE-PROTECTOR-Clothes-Fabric-Boots-Tent-Fishing-Camping/163605429104?hash=item2617a4bb70&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVLUh7BrPM%2BvRcsCSp2EAxoKbKhCoXbd1JIIQnHnlxxCUO2FcpPqNUHAMfhGRTRaiRGyHzpNNShBPO7lRbh1b9wrZ8krFIkaX8zJyZQsm6sE7myLO6TZIQZE1XULpvgr5arYWNbHQQfb39%2BoZ6PWb1hcXDJTyvtFH95aoRsnGBNVkb2E317LDB0cDFKVpOaxOP1wtj6aOx6Pa%2FgrHVYa6H71FTJlgUBhPqPB7QT3HXroYfuLYTx6blqGN8Uv2dlH1IZkelVJqItqzfCi0X2d23uX447eO7yQjdvnR%2BJciApxvUBQdAgM24lTB%2F25y0%2BIU3OHZIar0Dw8gEb1MYa71fRxLkIjIwsTKyVUQdg0%2B32tgSP9WgguEFkI4j%2FXkpTQ%2BMAoYzOtTsE9mZYkRFBCWw5Ah1x%2FR41wi3TZ2sOZQ58y2AJMUY%2Bj%2B%2BGugviDM1mOLCG4Gcj3Skg5d8djYnoqfLxubAWwQVDY80BPqrMXcRTh5JUvNghIynzhrgdxRGNHMRGPVpNUvG54NaB%2FheMXxCyVA9P9nxC%2BfnPeAhtkRek%2FRvP%2F1CSulxADD1FBNitf67U8M8NWxq2I43YOpxeMT8EIe4V3DW1UMHQb6VCJSSou%2B9EHu7DUXIvrl5mRQjJ2FUKKMvpLFM0yptWijGvGTxAomB5oeytkqjoLGZWcEaQAG3h6OYAxlt5lp%2FT8QOjKFpSJZB1EJ85PQK%2BrYpf4IsoYmnLYy2ktvbkAOhWvfWvVSgqb4qNZOuo0laMqZJCJolT%2BKk%2BgupbozMT0FmoS3WV9VQ0xTbUXkpHTgzc9zJXV%2FBGmcOreWq7MhrWpSV1OYSzCUvT4BnYY3q1uZ84p8ecM8%2FHPvVHPaoGVGh2jfgXKTjwhasQvwMkwmz%2BQKEFFp1y9eHYajICh2BkDiocKUpUyqgKbWkK9rny6eO1W50UwXmcp68uh4bgw7GI36uJEnp1oKevyEzNHlMglr%2F922EZg%3D%3D&checksum=1636054291049e0d7bd94035489cbe3855d4cdd7f329

Can use it on your leather jacket too

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-WATERPROOF-SPRAY-SHOE-PROTECTOR-Clothes-Fabric-Boots-Tent-Fishing-Camping/163605429104?hash=item2617a4bb70&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVLUh7BrPM%2BvRcsCSp2EAxoKbKhCoXbd1JIIQnHnlxxCUO2FcpPqNUHAMfhGRTRaiRGyHzpNNShBPO7lRbh1b9wrZ8krFIkaX8zJyZQsm6sE7myLO6TZIQZE1XULpvgr5arYWNbHQQfb39%2BoZ6PWb1hcXDJTyvtFH95aoRsnGBNVkb2E317LDB0cDFKVpOaxOP1wtj6aOx6Pa%2FgrHVYa6H71FTJlgUBhPqPB7QT3HXroYfuLYTx6blqGN8Uv2dlH1IZkelVJqItqzfCi0X2d23uX447eO7yQjdvnR%2BJciApxvUBQdAgM24lTB%2F25y0%2BIU3OHZIar0Dw8gEb1MYa71fRxLkIjIwsTKyVUQdg0%2B32tgSP9WgguEFkI4j%2FXkpTQ%2BMAoYzOtTsE9mZYkRFBCWw5Ah1x%2FR41wi3TZ2sOZQ58y2AJMUY%2Bj%2B%2BGugviDM1mOLCG4Gcj3Skg5d8djYnoqfLxubAWwQVDY80BPqrMXcRTh5JUvNghIynzhrgdxRGNHMRGPVpNUvG54NaB%2FheMXxCyVA9P9nxC%2BfnPeAhtkRek%2FRvP%2F1CSulxADD1FBNitf67U8M8NWxq2I43YOpxeMT8EIe4V3DW1UMHQb6VCJSSou%2B9EHu7DUXIvrl5mRQjJ2FUKKMvpLFM0yptWijGvGTxAomB5oeytkqjoLGZWcEaQAG3h6OYAxlt5lp%2FT8QOjKFpSJZB1EJ85PQK%2BrYpf4IsoYmnLYy2ktvbkAOhWvfWvVSgqb4qNZOuo0laMqZJCJolT%2BKk%2BgupbozMT0FmoS3WV9VQ0xTbUXkpHTgzc9zJXV%2FBGmcOreWq7MhrWpSV1OYSzCUvT4BnYY3q1uZ84p8ecM8%2FHPvVHPaoGVGh2jfgXKTjwhasQvwMkwmz%2BQKEFFp1y9eHYajICh2BkDiocKUpUyqgKbWkK9rny6eO1W50UwXmcp68uh4bgw7GI36uJEnp1oKevyEzNHlMglr%2F922EZg%3D%3D&checksum=1636054291049e0d7bd94035489cbe3855d4cdd7f329

Smile That's the stuff they've just been selling in Aldi for £1.99 a can.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Smile That's the stuff they've just been selling in Aldi for £1.99 a can.

Dont see it on their special buys? Absolute steal at that price though. Worth it just for the simplicity, quick spray and done. OP though would be best off with some over boots for £10, glorified plastic bags
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1