Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passenger pegs and the law.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:27 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Passenger pegs and the law. Reply with quote

Are passenger pegs a legal requirement in UK or just for MOT? If I take mine off along with the bracket am I ok? I have a passenger seat of sorts but never carry a pillion. Is the law only broken if you actually carry a passenger? New bike so no MOT for nearly 3 years. I gues no one really worries but anyone know the actual law as I can't seem to get to the bottom of it other than an MOT requirement? Ta!

Ps I have just fitted short exhausts so no need for brackets or pegs. I suppose useful for bungees but they look silly with short exhausts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, if you've got the pillion seat, then you have to have the pillion foot pegs.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a dual seat you must have provision for a pillion to put their feet. The seating is the bit that determines the number of pegs. You could cover the back half with a fibreglass cover, a la racing style, which should enable peg removal otherwise they have got to be there.

Edit: Not sure what you imagine it to be but the MOT is the minimum required to make your machine road legal. If you don't meet the requirements of the MOT then your vehicle is not considered roadworthy and , therefore, illegal. None of which is a problem until a copper in the know or a bolshy insurance evaluator say otherwise...

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
IIRC, if you've got the pillion seat, then you have to have the pillion foot pegs.

That's actually true, my Mechanic told me about it, however there is a way around it, strap a top box on the pillion seat.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
the MOT is the minimum required to make your machine road legal.

No it's not.

The MOT doesn't mean much, there are loads of construction and use regulations which aren't checked in an MOT.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
the MOT is the minimum required to make your machine road legal.

No it's not.

The MOT doesn't mean much, there are loads of construction and use regulations which aren't checked in an MOT.

And, perhaps more importantly, it's only a test of the machine at that particular moment in time - a simple brake light switch/horn/oxygen sensor etc. failure, as you leave the testing station, can render your bike/car illegal for road use, despite having passed an MOT test minutes before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is a seat a pillion seat? You could probably fit three on a KTM 500 EXC seat but it has no rear pegs.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
When is a seat a pillion seat? You could probably fit three on a KTM 500 EXC seat but it has no rear pegs.

Enduros are special. Most don't even have rear pegs.

When it's designed for 2. Most bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know how many its designed for? Doesn't say anything about that on my V5

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:32 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Ste wrote:

No it's not.

And, perhaps more importantly, it's only a test of the machine at that particular moment in time - a simple brake light switch/horn/oxygen sensor etc. failure, as you leave the testing station, can render your bike/car illegal for road use, despite having passed an MOT test minutes before.

Ste: Perhaps that's why I said 'minimum'!

And why I said that 'if you don't meet the requirements, etc, etc', obviously I didn't mean just when you wheel it in to be tested - as the OP pointed out his bike has yet to have its first MOT test but that doesn't make it any more legal if it doesn't meet the standard in any way.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:37 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
How do you know how many its designed for? Doesn't say anything about that on my V5

Does everything nowadays need an App to tell us how we must use it? Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll come in from the side - mines a supermoto but never had rear foot rests from the factory.
Sure it 'can be' a dual sport but in the current trim does it now need foot rests? I could fit 3 backsides on the seat though the springs wouldn't be happy!

(I hate MOTs)

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I'll come in from the side - mines a supermoto but never had rear foot rests from the factory.
Sure it 'can be' a dual sport but in the current trim does it now need foot rests? I could fit 3 backsides on the seat though the springs wouldn't be happy!

(I hate MOTs)

I don't know about C&U regs, but this is what the MOT test manual says:

"Some motorcycles first used on or after 14 June 1993 which are designed to carry a passenger may not be fitted with pillion footrests. Instead, they are fitted with hand holds attached to the frame or seat."

I would take that to mean either a seat strap, or something that looks specifically like a grab rail or hand hold, not just that you could hold on to the rear mudguard, if you really had to.

But then I would also have to take a view on what constitutes a pillion seat - a KTM 500EXC has been mentioned and although you could conceivably fit a passenger on it (particularly if you're involved in motorcycle based crime) that strip of foam barely constitutes a rider's seat, so I don't think I would fail it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. No straps and no footrest brackets though it does have a tiny rear carrier and if your fingers are small could be classed as a grab rail!
I'm fine for MOTs but the whole regulations thing can sometimes be a nightmare.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snarley's got rear footpegs but no pillion seat.

The number of guys who have tried to chat me up by asking if I will take them home, and then I tell them I've got no pillion seat Rolling Eyes

I just haven't got round to getting them taken off yet.
They may just end up being something that will grind off when I finally get my knee down far enough ... Shifty

Laughing Laughing

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:22 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took my pegs off but now i have to go pick up a young lass id better put them back on >.<
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1