Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is Royal Mail first class now a tracked service?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Is Royal Mail first class now a tracked service? Reply with quote

I order a lot on Ebay.
Sometimes I have to do a signature when I get a parcel, other times I dont. Instead on the other ones, the postman scans the square barcode thing on the parcel the just hands it over.
Is this a form of tracking and proof of receipt? If so i'll switch to first class when I sell stuff instead of first class signed for, if standard first class has a recorded proof that the item was delivered. Thats usually enough for Ebay, signature not really required

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate, im a postie
The square thing is known as a 2d scan and is a very basic form of tracking, Ask at your local post office when you send something for this service, it is the cheapest form of tracking and shouldnt be costing more than 1st class

Then there's signed for ( which most posties sign themselves when they get to the address)

Then there's tracked 24 and 48 which you can have with or without signature proof.

Then the most expensive option is special next day before 9am/1pm which we guard with our lives as we could get dismissed if they go missing/go wrong.

Thankyou for keeping a fellow biker in work.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
hi mate, im a postie
The square thing is known as a 2d scan and is a very basic form of tracking, Ask at your local post office when you send something for this service, it is the cheapest form of tracking and shouldnt be costing more than 1st class

Then there's signed for ( which most posties sign themselves when they get to the address)

Then there's tracked 24 and 48 which you can have with or without signature proof.

Then the most expensive option is special next day before 9am/1pm which we guard with our lives as we could get dismissed if they go missing/go wrong.

So if, say, a postie were to sign for the cake that I was having delivered and doesn't *actually* leave it, because you can't leave a cake on a front doorstep or behind a dustbin/garden wall ... what happens to it?

No card, no proof of attempted delivery, no idea my cake has even arrived, been and gone again...

Surely that can't be right.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
leolion wrote:
hi mate, im a postie

So if, say, a postie were to sign for the cake that I was having delivered and doesn't *actually* leave it, because you can't leave a cake on a front doorstep or behind a dustbin/garden wall ... what happens to it?

No card, no proof of attempted delivery, no idea my cake has even arrived, been and gone again...

Thanks Leolion.
Hellkat have you ever had a postie do a signature for you? I never have, after thousands of parcels. Either someone from the household signs or it goes to the sorting office. Postie would be in deep trouble if he signed it himself and the parcel never got delivered

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think they're allowed to be more flexible about leaving stuff and signing themselves due to the increased number of small packets from online purchase I guess.
The local guy will generally have a good idea what are the chances of stuff going missing from the back porch or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
hi mate, im a postie

Ooh, well I've got another question for you!
What happens to mail that I put back in the postbox marked "Gone away - please forward to [address]"? I've done this, and had this done for my own mail, for years; however from my recent experience (following my son leaving home) it looks like this isn't happening any more? It's seemed to be completely hit and miss whether stuff gets through so I've stopped doing it

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find works for names that are different to the regular household but the same still gets delivered.

I.e. it won’t work for junk in your name or your surname, but will for a previous owner of the house

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the quality of your postie is highly dependant on your local depot.

My local depot: I literally know the posties - at least two live in my road! Everything is fine and rarely does anything go missing.

My office depot: bunch of useless twats. If you have anything that needs signing for they will not under any circumstances deliver it. They will deliver everything else though.

How does it make any sense to go to all the effort of writing out a card (and lie that there was no one in) and post that through the letter box and scarper off in the van?!

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:27 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
leolion wrote:
hi mate, im a postie

Ooh, well I've got another question for you!
What happens to mail that I put back in the postbox marked "Gone away - please forward to [address]"? I've done this, and had this done for my own mail, for years; however from my recent experience (following my son leaving home) it looks like this isn't happening any more? It's seemed to be completely hit and miss whether stuff gets through so I've stopped doing it

we return to sender now. if you dont want that mail cover the delivery address and write rts on it, either hand it to postie or pop in post box.

its because royal mail run there own redirection service now which is very good for revenue.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
In my experience the quality of your postie is highly dependant on your local depot.

My local depot: I literally know the posties - at least two live in my road! Everything is fine and rarely does anything go missing.

My office depot: bunch of useless twats. If you have anything that needs signing for they will not under any circumstances deliver it. They will deliver everything else though.

How does it make any sense to go to all the effort of writing out a card (and lie that there was no one in) and post that through the letter box and scarper off in the van?!

your spot on mate, be friendly with your postie!

In training we are taught to knock on the door/and or ring the bell, then start to write the card out if the door is not opened or contact made via a window or shouting then we post the card and take the package back.
You can however contact your delivery office and make arrangements to have it redelivered on a day you know you will be in.

Posties tend to be on the same street everyday at roughly the same time as well.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
leolion wrote:
hi mate, im a postie

contact your local delivery office and ask for the proof of delivery, we are tracked every step now so if its been scanned and signed for hq can see who where and when it was scanned then investigate.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:44 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Think they're allowed to be more flexible about leaving stuff and signing themselves due to the increased number of small packets from online purchase I guess.
The local guy will generally have a good idea what are the chances of stuff going missing from the back porch or whatever.

we're not allowed to leave any packages anywhere other than if it has a stated safeplace on the address label, even then its at posties discretion.
More than two complaints in a given time then we are generally dismissed and with the best will in the world your not going to pay posties mortgage for him if he gets sacked because he was nice and left your parcel unattended are you? Very Happy

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What happens to mail that I put back in the postbox marked "Gone away - please forward to [address]"?
we return to sender now. if you dont want that mail cover the delivery address and write rts on it, either hand it to postie or pop in post box.
its because royal mail run there own redirection service now which is very good for revenue.

Brilliant. Nice of RM to tell their customers that was happening now; it would explain why my son has got into a load of completely unwarranted grief with his credit card company as they must have received RTS mail addressed to him Rolling Eyes

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:04 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Brilliant. Nice of RM to tell their customers that was happening now; it would explain why my son has got into a load of completely unwarranted grief with his credit card company as they must have received RTS mail addressed to him Rolling Eyes

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
doggone wrote:

we're not allowed to leave any packages anywhere other than if it has a stated safeplace on the address label, even then its at posties discretion.
More than two complaints in a given time then we are generally dismissed and with the best will in the world your not going to pay posties mortgage for him if he gets sacked because he was nice and left your parcel unattended are you? Very Happy

Here they sent out a letter a couple of years ago stating unless you opted out they would have more discretion with items that won't fit through letterboxes, for example leaving in a safe place or with a neighbour.
So the default option if signature is not specifically required will be to leave it in a sensible place out of site such as shed or porch.
Some areas this won't be practical but generally most are happy enough, who wants to trek off to a main office miles away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

national agreement that only safe place items are left at the discretion of the postie and we have to take a pic of it in the safe place, i do work for them so am well informed.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Hellkat have you ever had a postie do a signature for you? I never have, after thousands of parcels. Either someone from the household signs or it goes to the sorting office. Postie would be in deep trouble if he signed it himself and the parcel never got delivered

No, I haven't, but as leolion has stated that this is a thing they do, it makes me wonder how often my parcels which have gone astray have done so because of this reason.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo dear, I see since I composed that post, a bit of mansplaining and overthinking has gone on Laughing

Not to worry.
I have no major complaints.
Royal Mail is legendary in most respects.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Oooo dear, I see since I composed that post, a bit of mansplaining and overthinking has gone on Laughing

Not to worry.
I have no major complaints.
Royal Mail is legendary in most respects.

Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
your spot on mate, be friendly with your postie!

In training we are taught to knock on the door/and or ring the bell, then start to write the card out if the door is not opened or contact made via a window or shouting then we post the card and take the package back.
You can however contact your delivery office and make arrangements to have it redelivered on a day you know you will be in.

Posties tend to be on the same street everyday at roughly the same time as well.

Very rarely have I been at home and missed a knock... maybe once a year.

At the office you can literally camp by the letter box, see the card pop through, bend down to pick it up, open the door.... and they've gone Sad No attempt to knock let alone deliver!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:04 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
we are tracked every step now

Isn't it only Special Delivery where it's tracked every step of the way when it's in the Royal Mail system? That's what I've been told by my postie and the post office counter guy. The tracked service just shows you that it's been delivered, signed for recorded just gets you a signature on delivery, those items are just in with everything else, it's only Special Delivery that are treated with extra care and are kept track of every step of the way when in the Royal Mail system.

Quote:

My postie is awesome, they know that I'm almost always around and that I try to be awake and almost waiting when I'm expecting something that will require a signature or the door opening.

They don't just ring the bell and then start writing the card, if there's no immediate sign of life then they'll ring the door bell lots of time to get my attention aka wake me up. Laughing Plus they know I'll take stuff for neighbours if needed.

People love complaining about Royal Mail but they provide a great service. I can go and put something in the letter box today with a 67p stamp on it and the chances are it will arrive at its destination tomorrow. I'd struggle to think of anything to complain about, be nice to your postie and they'll be nice to you. Mr. Green

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection

My point exactly, Leolion. Why doesn't it mention on that page that "oh, by the way don't think you can avoid purchasing our highly expensive redirection service by readdressing mail yourself, because if you do we'll just ignore that and return to sender instead".

I have no idea whether over the past few months I might have forwarded anything of monetary value to my son without any sender address inside, but I guess now we'll never know, will we?

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 13:37 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both my posties, once a nice young blonde girl, and the other a bloke. He will leave anything in the panniers of my bike, if too big for the letterbox.

At present, he sticks it in the shed for me and leaves a note where it is. He even brings treats for the dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
leolion wrote:
we are tracked every step now

Isn't it only Special Delivery where it's tracked every step of the way when it's in the Royal Mail system? That's what I've been told by my postie and the post office counter guy. The tracked service just shows you that it's been delivered, signed for recorded just gets you a signature on delivery, those items are just in with everything else, it's only Special Delivery that are treated with extra care and are kept track of every step of the way when in the Royal Mail system.

No ste, us posties are tracked nowadays!
You know the little computer the postie hands you to sign things? it also doubles up as a tracker to see where the postie is, if we stop for more than five minutes if your in a bad tempered office you will get pulled in the next day by your manager to ask why you werent moving!
Data is viewed the next day by management to see where the 2d parcels/tracked/signed for and specials were scanned as delivered.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about tracking items of post.

Special Delivery is kept track of every step of the way through the Royal Mail system so they can see where a Special Delivery item last was and who had it.

Tracked delivery just tells the customer when it's been delivered, it's not tracked through the Royal Mail system. Same deal with recorded signed for. Those items just go in with the rest of the general post, Special Delivery are the only items which get taken special care of.

Right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2