Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

big bikes cost less to insure than 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:02 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: big bikes cost less to insure than 125? Reply with quote

Hello people,
I was checking out a few big bikes as my current YBR125 is showing some signs of being near end of useful life. I was a little surprised that the insurance quotes I got for a 600cc Hyosung GT650 started at under £120 TPO compared to about £150 for my current bike. Is it common for some big bikes to cost less than 125s to insure? Goes a bit against intuition (and if that's the case I'd certainly consider a big bike from now on)...

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with a full license, having been through several more tests and training to pass said tests, tend to stuff bikes into the scenery a lot less less than someone that's wobbled around cones and avoided crashing for a few hours. 125 riders simply crash more, hence the loading on premiums.

My 125 costs more to insure than my 750. However, it's a 4 mile run to work and the 125 does north of 100MPG, so it's a no-brainer to run a tiddler locally and keep the VFR for weekends and long runs.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:35 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it would depend on the rider more than the machine but oh well Razz

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
Thought it would depend on the rider more than the machine but oh well Razz

S

If there are lots of claims on 125cc bikes, those bikes are more costly to insure.

Simples, as Sergei would say.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ROSPA, the number 1 cause of motorcycle crashes is rider inexperience.

125 riders tend, on the whole, to be less experienced and as such are higher risk.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a weird statistic if correct. I say this because bikes above 125cc must outnumber 125s by about a hundred to one. Hmmm - that might be an overstatement. I suppose there are loads of scooters in big cities all around the country. Still, I'd shocked if bigger bikes don't outnumber them significantly. So next, you control for the disproportionality - and find that 125s have more accidents per hundred riders than the hundred riders of bigger capacity bikes.

Okay - seems reasonable. Not saying I believe it, but just that it could well be true. However, you then do a bit of qualitative research and quickly discover that although more people crash 125s because "inexperience". Thing is, these riders are in town, rarely doing more than 30mph - not doing a Connor Cummins into the scenery off Snake Pass or whatever. The scootercommuter gets a bruised cock and ballbag and we never hear from them again. But the big bikelist is totalled. Doesn't matter though because far less of them.

I dunno. I've no idea how dem rospa numbers crunch, but I can't help thinking "inexperience" isn't the best conclusion to draw.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red cars used to cost more to insure that any other colour...

...because red was one of the basic, no cost factory colours meaning there were lots of red cars. (IIRC black was the next most costly, then white.)

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistics do weird things with insurance, but given the number of L-plate 125s I see riding like tools around here it doesn't surprise me. Don't get me wrong, you see the odd tool on a big bike too but they seem to be the exception. Probably doesn't help that virtually all 125s are ridden on L-plates either, don't have ABS, are an easy steal as they're light and there's a big market for them etc.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think again though, in that how many people are hacking around A-B on 125 cc bikes compared to 1000cc commuters?

It's also a conveniently popular engine size, as 125cc is able to realistically go outside of towns or city's unlike 50cc's
(and don't all you funny fuckers get on your high horse and say I ride my 50 cc in the country and down NSL A-roads everywhere just to be argumentative.) Wink

It's also a natural convenient capacity because:

1, you don't need a full licence or one of the higher licences to ride one.

2, There's these days pretty much nothing offered in between 50 and 125cc, and not much just above it like 175's, 200, 250's etc. This is due in part to manufacturers deliberately aiming at A2 targeted power/capacities after 124cc.

I'd expect there's a relative tonne of 125's compared to bigger bike capacity segments like 600, 1000cc etc and all these and the in between capacity segments are all in decline as newbies get older and young people turn away from bikes.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Thing is, these riders are in town, rarely doing more than 30mph - not doing a Connor Cummins into the scenery off Snake Pass or whatever. The scootercommuter gets a bruised cock and ballbag and we never hear from them again. But the big bikelist is totalled. Doesn't matter though because far less of them.

I dont see that as being true at all unless you live in some big city. I cant even think of a time i've taken a 125 out and havnt at some point gone above 50mph. Infact I'd say that half of the bikes I see on my commute along a dual carriageway are 125's and during the winter they are pretty much all I see.

It probably does come down to 125 riders having more accidents proportianally. The innexperience thing does seem odd as insurers would figure that out using the license type and other info and not from the type of vehicle. it could be that they know most of them are 17 and more than happy to pay £300 a year for a bike instead of £2k for a car Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:24 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their big table of statistic tells them who cost them what. It's nothing more complicated than that.

If you're young and wobbling around on L plates then the stats aren't good because you're lumped in with all the L plate riders who crash their bikes as a hobby.
Quote:

...because red was one of the basic, no cost factory colours meaning there were lots of red cars.

No.

Drivers of red cars cost insurance companies more than drivers of whatever other colour cars. How many of them there are on the roads is beside the point.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Their big table of statistic tells them who cost them what. It's nothing more complicated than that.

If you're young and wobbling around on L plates then the stats aren't good because you're lumped in with all the L plate riders who crash their bikes as a hobby.
Quote:

...because red was one of the basic, no cost factory colours meaning there were lots of red cars.

No.

Drivers of red cars cost insurance companies more than drivers of whatever other colour cars. How many of them there are on the roads is beside the point.

Are you saying ppl who choose red cars are liable to take more risks in life? Shurely shome short of waysism there?!

Colourism at the very least Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wub

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Are you saying ppl who choose red cars are liable to take more risks in life? Shurely shome short of waysism there?!

Colourism at the very least Wink

A new *ism

I'm happy

I like *isms

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

No.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOnesGoFaster

Quote:
Red things just seem to go faster. In fiction, make something vermilion and you can almost guarantee it'll move quicker, as if the color itself reduces drag, lowers inertia and increases forward momentum. A visual shorthand for getting the point across that an object is zippy.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:00 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this risk is dealt with using things called 'actuarial tables' that is tables of statistics and data about different vehicles , occupations, postcodes and stuff like that to arrive at a final premium.

The 125 dearer than 750 is also borne out with cars . A young bloke in our village found it cheaper to insure a 2.5litre Merc estate than a 1.3 Corsa. Few young men crash big Mercs, it's a "Dad's" car. Lots of young men crash Corsa's , so I guess it makes sense.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
My 125 costs more to insure than my 750. However, it's a 4 mile run to work and the 125 does north of 100MPG, so it's a no-brainer to run a tiddler locally and keep the VFR for weekends and long runs.

For a 4 mile commute, surely the no-brainer would be a bicycle! Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1