Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Appropriate 400 for an Old codger?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Appropriate 400 for an Old codger? Reply with quote

I've had R1,s, 1200cc barges and also an R6. But my penis is small.

I've decided that all of these go way beyond my skill level.

I've decided light is best, which it is. So I'm thinking about getting an approx 400cc sporty bike.

I like the Duke and the RC390. Can a 52 year old get away with riding one of these?

In general, will a 400 be quick enough for spirited riding through the country roads of the Borders? Can they manage small trips on the motorway?

Going to start from scratch on a 'less likely' to kill myself type sporty bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:03 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't go near the KTMs, maybe something '500' like the Honda 500s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:12 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an ER6.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:20 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Try an ER6.

Is an ER6 a 400?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Is an ER6 a 400?

No. It does however tick the boxes of what he describes as needing.

ie. "quick enough for spirited riding through the country roads of the Borders... ...Small trips on the motorway... ...a 'less likely' to kill myself type sporty bike.".

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Try an ER6.

Is an ER6 a 400?

CB400N super dream it is then. Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike is up for debate. I'm currently riding a single cylinder BMW F650GS and that is rather dull.

I've got a dealer only 30 miles away so would be ok with that for the KTM. I had a Honda CBR650F and that would be ideal again except I can't afford even a second hand one. CBR 500's are again quite expensive although definitely worth consideration. I like the new Kwak 400 but again too pricey for now.

Can get a brand new 2018 KTM RC390 for less than £4k that's why I was thinking about one.

Thanks for the replies.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mash 400, Herald 400 or new Jawa 350, all based on the Shineray XY400. Based on my Mash, lovely bike to ride, comfortable enough for long distance trips, quick enough for motorway stints, very frugal fuel wise. The only bike I'd suggest above those, would be a new Royal Enfield 650, either Interceptor or GT. I love mine, it's light and manoeuvrable, will easily ride above 80 2 up, lovely smooth gearbox, and, fuel wise, very frugal as well.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the ER6 or its derivatives. For a smaller bike, its got enough zip to enjoy yourself. I loved having a GPZ500 and would have one again any time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:47 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I've got a dealer only 30 miles away so would be ok with that for the KTM.

You'll become very good friends. It is not a good bike to buy.

SV650/Gladius would be fine, pretty good but semi budget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a GPZ500 too, they're just getting a bit old now. Great wee bikes. It's effectively what I immediately thought of when I read what was required. They can hussle along at a fair nip but they only do it if you ask them to. Otherwise they are a fairly sedate ride. If you want to sit at a steady 80 on the motorway, they'll do that too with minimal stress, and do mid 50mpg while they're at it.

The ER6 was the successor to them and can hussle too. A few more ponies, better brakes and suspension and a lovely gearbox. You just need to remember to rev them if you want to be in "sports" rather than "commuter" mode.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Mash 400, Herald 400 or new Jawa 350, all based on the Shineray XY400. Based on my Mash, lovely bike to ride, comfortable enough for long distance trips, quick enough for motorway stints, very frugal fuel wise. The only bike I'd suggest above those, would be a new Royal Enfield 650, either Interceptor or GT. I love mine, it's light and manoeuvrable, will easily ride above 80 2 up, lovely smooth gearbox, and, fuel wise, very frugal as well.

Main service intervals on the interceptor are a fucking joke. Whenever one gets recommended without mention of that I have to lol. I'd be doing nearly seven valve checks a year, maybe as many as eight if it was a half-decent summer. Fts.

Maybe they don't need that level of fettling. Could it's just a ruse on the part of RE to recoup some of that (artificially) low price tag. But still. Big meh.

Anyway, getting to the nub of the OP's question - and yes, my rec is 100cc over max stated size - '90s cb500. I went out on mine for the first time in a good while this afternoon, the others were on 1200GS, K1600 and Tiger 800. So - completely different bikes. And there was an emphasis on more minor roads. A bike like the 500 was a much better proposition imo. They're fucking rubbish - but bloody hell, way more agile and nimble than the tall, heavy and comparatively ponderous company it was in. Don't get me wrong, the 500 is fidgety, boingy, and feels like a lardy push bike after something even a bit bigger. But it'll take a sound thrashing and you never really feel like it's trying to ride you rather than the other way round.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:50 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Appropriate 400 for an Old codger? Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Can they manage small trips on the motorway?

Yes in the same way you could manage it on a 250, would you want to is the question in my mind - probably not.

Go for at least a 600 even if you're only doing small trips on the motorway.

What about a carbed ZX6? 98 - 02, great little bikes and could do all of what you've asked for

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt-03/ninja 300?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Main service intervals on the interceptor are a fucking joke. Whenever one gets recommended without mention of that I have to lol.

42000 miles per year?? Valve checks every 6000 miles, fluid changes etc, every 3000. Still realtively often I guess, but not unduly so, also, should you want to service it yourself, valve checks etc, noddy job

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Appropriate 400 for an Old codger? Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
struan80 wrote:
Can they manage small trips on the motorway?

Yes in the same way you could manage it on a 250, would you want to is the question in my mind - probably not.

Go for at least a 600 even if you're only doing small trips on the motorway.

What about a carbed ZX6? 98 - 02, great little bikes and could do all of what you've asked for

My friends Ninja 250 topped out in 3 figures, just. So as you say they are capable but why would you want to push it to it's absolute limit?

The ER-6 is not a bad shout, never ridden one but I have had a go on the Versys 650 and had fun on it chasing it's owner on my MT-10, he quickly pissed off into the distance though Laughing

Another fun and quick enough 600-ish is the Street Triple 675, the R version has upgraded brakes and suspension but the normal version is supposed to be more comfortable and good enough on the brakes (I had the R so can't confirm).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a 100bhp 600 is the absolute lower limit of bike for the shortest of motorway hops, and trips down quiet back roads. Probably not enough power for two up riding though, or carrying a bag of luggage, so you might want to start your search at 1000cc and go up from there IMO!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/71495417/oh-you.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still struggling with the notion that codger-dom starts at 52 Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Feck! And there's me thinking I had a mid-life crisis to look forward to @ 47....

Wait...

It's happening now isn't it Shifty

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few olds with bikes in this capacity class, 400ish cc and a few with 125's and 650's too so it definitely is possible be 52 and ride a small bike contrary to BCF wisdom.

In fact a 66yr old mate of my dad has just bought a KTM 125, and was considering the RC but decided that they didn't need a fairing for short fun rides, despite preferring the look of the sports machine.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER6/SV650 (new ones)/Hornet.

Decent weight, enough power for motorway work and enjoyment, not intimidating.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:15 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Anyone over 40 to me is old. I am still a spritely 30 year old though.... Mr. Green

Ancient is 70+ though.. Wink

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT380.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Appropriate 400 for an Old codger? Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I like the Duke and the RC390. Can a 52 year old get away with riding one of these?

In general, will a 400 be quick enough for spirited riding through the country roads of the Borders? Can they manage small trips on the motorway?

Can't speak for the RC, but the Duke felt like a BMX with an engine. When I researched, I found it had the highest output / weight ratio available at the time. A2 bikes are the new 'norm' now so there's more choice than when I looked.

Motorways? Well yes, but I wouldn't want to. I had to do a 2 hour journey once, in the pissing rain and it was highly unpleasant. Highly.

Twisties? Up to about 50mph it was an absolute hoot. Through city traffic, there is no quicker bike [provemewrongkids.gif]. But, it still feels like a BMX.

R1 for the win.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2