Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Central Heating overhaul..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Central Heating overhaul.. Reply with quote

The 12kW 1970s Baxi Bermuda in my three bed semi can just about take the chill off in winter. Most of the rads though are only getting luke warm and rudimentary flushes have little effect. So I call in my boiler mate for an appraisal. His verdict new 30kW Vaillent (combi) boiler (fair enough) and new rads all round (seven) and new Hive controller (a must have he says).. Total 4k ish

The price I think is fair to essentially completely renew the system however as I may have stated in the past I am pathologically mean and in any case I don't have 4K.

My starting point was going to be. Cheapest 25-30 KW boiler I can find with an SS heat exchanger. Powerflush and magna-clean fitted.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Glowworm 30kw recently went kaput after only 4 years in my 2.5 bed ex council semi.

Replaced it with a budget Ideal Logic 25kW from Travis Perkins for £550 and got a local plumber to fit it with a new flue for £300 cash.

I have no idea why plumbers charge so much as he was in and out within the morning, so £300 for half a days work!

I wouldn't say 4k is particularly good or "mates rates"...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutely standard practice to recommend renewing the whole system in these circumstances because it's the only way the engineer can guarantee its going to work properly afterwards, whether that's due to clogged-up radiators, knackered radiator valves, inefficiently fitted pipework, etc etc.

I can relate my own experience about 15 years ago of converting from a low pressure to a mains pressure central heating system like your proposed one... we kept the old radiators and everything was fine for a few days... but then, one of the old bedroom radiators developed a leak, right in the middle of a panel at the back, where a rust pinhole had formed due to the higher pressure in the new system. By the time we found out, gallons and gallons of water had leaked and soaked the bedroom carpet, dripped through the ceiling and trashed the sofa in the room below. Not pretty.

My neighbours replaced their boiler recently, kept the old radiators against advice, and all was absolutely fine. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:19 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask that all pipes are checked, had a more powerful one popped in and a pipe shat itself above the clothes cupboard... tasty.

Seems a lot though, non-mates rate 6 rads, new boiler and 1.5 days of 2 people was £2600.

No hive or any of that BS, I have a timer that does 2 hours of hot water a day and when its cold does heating from 4am till 8am and 5pm to 8pm. I dont care about ambient temps and having it controlled from my phone... its all pre-set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
It's absolutely standard practice to recommend renewing the whole system in these circumstances because it's the only way the engineer can guarantee its going to work properly afterwards, whether that's due to clogged-up radiators, knackered radiator valves, inefficiently fitted pipework, etc etc.

I think that was his angle..

One thought I had was to power-flush the system as it stands today - about 100 quid to hire the kit for a weekend - connects to pump flanges. This may uncover any obvious flaws in the current system

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

No hive or any of that BS, I have a timer that does 2 hours of hot water a day and when its cold does heating from 4am till 8am and 5pm to 8pm. I dont care about ambient temps and having it controlled from my phone... its all pre-set.

Quite - I was somewhat irked by his insistence on that aspect.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Central Heating overhaul.. Reply with quote

DIY everything except the boiler installation.

You used to be able to get a "Baxi Bermuda BBU HE" to replace your old boiler (a friend had one to save re-doing the pipework and ripping stuff out), but I think they're now discontinued.

If your old rads are sound, keep them, you don't have to change the whole system. If you know they're clogged, unbolt them, take them outside and just flush them with a hosepipe, IF you need to.

Edit: your old system is reliable? It'll "save" you about £250/year at a guess to switch to a new condensing boiler (and I'd keey the cylinder IIWY).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Central Heating overhaul.. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

If your old rads are sound, keep them, you don't have to change the whole system. If you know they're clogged, unbolt them, take them outside and just flush them with a hosepipe, IF you need to.

I've done this in the past, but I'm a bugger for spilling dirty rad water onto light carpets Rolling Eyes hence thoughts to hire a powerflush.

Riejufixing wrote:

Edit: your old system is reliable? It'll "save" you about £250/year at a guess to switch to a new condensing boiler (and I'd keey the cylinder IIWY).

I'm also a fan of the conventional boiler, however I'm consider a loft conversion in the future so to do away with header tanks will be a bonus.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Central Heating overhaul.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
but I'm a bugger for spilling dirty rad water onto light carpets Rolling Eyes

Yes. That is not what we are wanting!

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Central Heating overhaul.. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
DIY everything except the boiler installation.

You used to be able to get a "Baxi Bermuda BBU HE" to replace your old boiler (a friend had one to save re-doing the pipework and ripping stuff out), but I think they're now discontinued.

DIY the boiler too, just leave the gas for the gas fitter, it's the only bit by law you can't touch.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
I dont care about ambient temps and having it controlled from my phone... its all pre-set.
Quite - I was somewhat irked by his insistence on that aspect.

Yes that's complete BS; there's no reason at all to foist Hive-type kit on an unwilling punter; even if you're not quite as stone-age as Paddy it's perfectly fine to use conventional thermostats and programmers.
A100man wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
I've done this in the past, but I'm a bugger for spilling dirty rad water onto light carpets Rolling Eyes hence thoughts to hire a powerflush.

Powerflushing is also a damned sight more effective than a hosepipe, too
t121anf wrote:
DIY the boiler too, just leave the gas for the gas fitter, it's the only bit by law you can't touch.

Fine, providing the fitter is happy to take responsibility for the whole boiler installation; but the vast majority of them wouldn't touch an arrangement like this. Far too much chance of something going wrong and having to diagnose the customer's dodgy workmanship etc. If yer man won't entertain the prospect of keeping the old plumbing and radiators, he surely won't be happy with the customer doing his own plumbing.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Powerflushing is also a damned sight more effective than a hosepipe, too

If as I said the radiator is removed, I do not think it is as effective.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1