Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:22 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

Hello, You're probably wondering why my dumbass is thinking of getting a 600 as my first bike, but I'm not. I'm 19 and have been riding since I was 11. The first bike was a 70cc then the largest was a 125cc. And I've ridden these bikes on public roads with traffic. (not in the UK) Now I want to get my first "legal UK Bike" I'm 19 and will get the bike restricted. It's a Triumph Daytona 600 2003. Bikes in very good condition and in my budget. The insurance is also great, especially for an 18-year-old. So what I wanted to ask was, am I making a good decision? I want a supersport. What other options would be a good budget up to £2500 And the reason why I'm opting to get a larger bike and then restrict it is that I'm 6'4 140 kgs (22 stone) And I've sat on a couple of 125ccs and yeah no that's not an option Laughing

Last edited by HannibalCorp on 11:27 - 19 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:59 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

HannibalCorp wrote:
Hello, You're probably wondering why my dumbass is thinking of getting a 600 as my first bike, but I'm not. I'm 18 and have been riding since I was 11. The first bike was a 70cc then the largest was a 125cc. And I've ridden these bikes on public roads with traffic. (not in the UK) Now I want to get my first "legal UK Bike" I'm 19 and will get the bike restricted. It's a Triumph Daytona 600 2003. Bikes in very good condition and in my budget. The insurance is also great, especially for an 18-year-old. So what I wanted to ask was, am I making a good decision? I want a supersport. What other options would be a good budget up to £2500 And the reason why I'm opting to get a larger bike and then restrict it is that I'm 6'4 140 kgs (22 stone) And I've sat on a couple of 125ccs and yeah no that's not an option Laughing

are you 18 or 19?

good luck doing your tests on a supersport.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the Daytona can even be restricted? It says A category only on the .Gov website...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/801806/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.csv/preview

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:29 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
HannibalCorp wrote:
Hello, You're probably wondering why my dumbass is thinking of getting a 600 as my first bike, but I'm not. I'm 18 and have been riding since I was 11. The first bike was a 70cc then the largest was a 125cc. And I've ridden these bikes on public roads with traffic. (not in the UK) Now I want to get my first "legal UK Bike" I'm 19 and will get the bike restricted. It's a Triumph Daytona 600 2003. Bikes in very good condition and in my budget. The insurance is also great, especially for an 18-year-old. So what I wanted to ask was, am I making a good decision? I want a supersport. What other options would be a good budget up to £2500 And the reason why I'm opting to get a larger bike and then restrict it is that I'm 6'4 140 kgs (22 stone) And I've sat on a couple of 125ccs and yeah no that's not an option Laughing

are you 18 or 19?

good luck doing your tests on a supersport.

I'm 19 sorry, typo. I just turned 19 so lol

And don't the test centers have bikes you can do the test on? Or am I a retard because I have done zero research...

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Are you sure the Daytona can even be restricted? It says A category only on the .Gov website...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/801806/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.csv/preview

Yes I called up a well known motorbike garage near me and explained the daytona situation, and they said yes it can be restricted and it will cost £250 in total (including labour etc.)

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HannibalCorp wrote:
DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Yes I called up a well known motorbike garage near me and explained the daytona situation, and they said yes it can be restricted and it will cost £250 in total (including labour etc.)

Are you sure they're not just incompetent... I'd trust .Gov more than a local garage personally.

Rules state that... "Any motorcycle more powerful than 94bhp in standard manufacturers trim cannot be restricted down. The power to weight ratio must be no more than 0.2kW after restriction"

And according to google, the daytona is 110bhp from the factory.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

HannibalCorp wrote:
And don't the test centers have bikes you can do the test on? Or am I a retard because I have done zero research...

You are a retard. Test centres do not provide bikes.

Also, as stated, the Daytona is 110bhp as standard. It may well be possible to restrict it to 47, but it still won't be a legal A2 bike as it will require restricting by more than 50%

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

HannibalCorp wrote:

I'm 19 sorry, typo. I just turned 19 so lol

What makes you think a test centre will have a bike for you to do the test on? Have you even done your theory? cbt?

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds unlikely that you can use that bike legally for yourself.

At that height and weight though is a Supersport the best/most comfortable option for now. There should be a good choice of middleweight bikes from that age and a bit cheaper that are easy to restrict and still have plenty of oopmph.

Does the 22stone include much lard (I know it might not, have met a number of beasts in the past also had my own lard battles). If so cutting back on that will make a significant difference to your riding experience. I have cut back from almost 17st at the most to 14.5st and aiming to lose another 0.5. Even that made riding noticeably more fun.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a sporty-ish bike to do your tests on (supplied by yourself) you could look at the FZS600 or SV650, I recently did the A2 tests on my own FZS600, but the examiners didn't make it easy on me... Rolling Eyes

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:52 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Sounds unlikely that you can use that bike legally for yourself.

At that height and weight though is a Supersport the best/most comfortable option for now. There should be a good choice of middleweight bikes from that age and a bit cheaper that are easy to restrict and still have plenty of oopmph.

Does the 22stone include much lard (I know it might not, have met a number of beasts in the past also had my own lard battles). If so cutting back on that will make a significant difference to your riding experience. I have cut back from almost 17st at the most to 14.5st and aiming to lose another 0.5. Even that made riding noticeably more fun.

I was fat before at around 34% bodyfat now I'm at 21% body fat and have been training changing my life for the better so my overall body is not a problem its just that I'm big. I'm in good shape, the only thing I could do to reduce my weight is lose muscle or cut down my body fat from 21% but I'm no bodybuilder or really crazy about fitness so I'm fine with 21%. the supersport shouldn't be a problem.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still going for the Daytona then? Laughing

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Still going for the Daytona then? Laughing

Actually thinking of getting an R1 and riding it without insurance, or a license and just growing my beard out and only using the bike to go to my uni which is a 10 minutes ride from my Home SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sockerrific

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
sockerrific

I was starting to think that...

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:18 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people are just destined to be organ donors

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Triumph Daytona 600 2003 - First Bike - Help Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
HannibalCorp wrote:

You are a retard. Test centres do not provide bikes.

Also, as stated, the Daytona is 110bhp as standard. It may well be possible to restrict it to 47, but it still won't be a legal A2 bike as it will require restricting by more than 50%

Oh, I see. Thank you for the information man you helped the most lol I now know what to look for when buying a bike and that I need to take the test on it as well Smile

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:25 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
If you want a sporty-ish bike to do your tests on (supplied by yourself) you could look at the FZS600 or SV650, I recently did the A2 tests on my own FZS600, but the examiners didn't make it easy on me... Rolling Eyes

Nah not anymore, I'm going to look for another Supersports which can be restricted and actually qualifies for the A2 licence since I'll need to take the tests on it and I can't restrict it by more than 50% of its power.

HannibalCorp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:28 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
some people are just destined to be organ donors

Our choices define us and I guess dictate our destiny... Even If I get a larger bike I'll always keep in mind that I am not alone on the road and my actions might cause someone else to suffer the consequences along with me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1