Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leadership Contest - why so many rounds?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fake news, as usual!

mpd72 wrote:
Christ on a stick, Hunt is now doing a Corbyn and also promising to force tax payers to pay off student work dodgers debt and bar bills.

As you know, full well, he has said nothing of the sort!

What he actually said was:-

Some graduates, who go on to employ other people”

So, absolutely, nothing like the, hate filled, bile you posted.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:39 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No results found for “Some graduates, who go on to employ other people”.

Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have the full article rather than paraphrased select quotes from some Facebook / Twitter page. Wink

Launch a start-up and I'll wipe your student loan bill, Jeremy Hunt says

Jeremy Hunt has promised to wipe tuition fee debt for young entrepreneurs who launch their own business after leaving university.

As part of his pledge to “turbocharge” the British economy after Brexit, the Tory leadership hopeful said he will waive loan repayments for any graduate who launches a start-up employing more than 10 people for five years.

The Foreign Secretary, who made his fortune as an entrepreneur before entering into the world of politics, hopes the proposal will incentivise more young people to follow in his footsteps.

Just one percent of graduates start their own businesses at present - a figure Mr Hunt says must rapidly increase if the country is to prosper after Brexit.

The announcement is Mr Hunt’s latest attempt to position himself as the pro-business candidate, having already promised to slash corporation tax and exempt thousands of small companies from business rates.

He has also proposed cutting the interest applied to all student loans, having warned against the apparent unfairness of current rates, which stand at 6.3 percent.

Speaking at a Tory membership hustings on Saturday, he expressed concern that interest is being applied to tuition fee debt from the moment a student receives their first loan payment, several years before they are able to start paying it back.

Unveiling his latest proposal on Wednesday night, Mr Hunt said: “If we are to turbocharge our economy and take advantage of Brexit, we need to back the young entrepreneurs who take risks and create jobs.

“I started my own business I still use the lessons that experience taught me - focus, drive and the art of negotiation - every single day.

“I want more young people to have the confidence to take the decision to start their own business, so we create wealth and start thriving as a country again.”

Asked how the commitment would be funded, Mr Hunt’s team said the cost to the taxpayer in waiving the debt would be offset by an increase in tax revenues.

They cited figures showing that a company with ten employees earning the average full-time salary of £30,000 over five years would generate £440,600 in income tax and national insurance contributions.

Mr Hunt has been keen to emphasise his entrepreneurial background throughout the leadership campaign, having embarked on several business ventures after leaving Oxford University.

His first was a failed attempt to export marmalade to Japan, followed by a public relations agency, which he founded with a childhood friend in the early nineties.

Later, he launched an educational guidance company called Hotcourses, which was sold in 2017 for over £30 million, earning Mr Hunt a reported £14 million.

It came after Mr Hunt spent most of yesterday ratcheting up pressure on Boris Johnson over his refusal to take part in a head-to-head debate before Tory members begin casting their ballots.

Writing to national broadcasters on Wednesday, he asked them to press ahead with plans to host televised events with or without Mr Johnson, claiming that it was neither “fair or appropriate” to deprive him of screen time on account of his rival’s “shyness”.

Accusing Mr Johnson of attempting to “run down the clock”, he added: “This is wrong, and disrespectful to our Party members who have had to wait 14 years to be able to elect a new leader democratically.

“[It] also deprives the general public of the opportunity to get to know the person who becomes their new Prime Minister.

“I urge all broadcasters to press ahead with plans to hold live television events to scrutinize the candidates next week before ballot papers arrive, with or without Boris Johnson.”

Mr Hunt also received a major boost from Ruth Davidson, the leader of the Scottish Conservative Party, who announced she was now backing him to become prime minister on Wednesday night.

Ms Davidson, who has already endorsed Sajid Javid and Michael Gove’s failed bids, said she had chosen the Foreign Secretary because she believed he was the candidate most prepared to put the “Union first”.

Saucey sauce.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read up to 10 people within a given timescale.

Don't let the facts stand in the way of an attempt to discredit however Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:38 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than 10 people for five years sounds like not many students will be having their loan bill wiped.

In 2018 96% of all businesses in the UK employed fewer than ten people.

"In 2017 in the UK, there were 382,000 business births, down 32,000 on the previous year. This was the biggest fall in the number of business births since the series began in 2001."

Sauce: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06152/SN06152.pdf

So it's a nice idea that debt from tuition fees will be wiped for those who start a business after leaving university. But there'll be all sorts of small print to do with how soon the business must be started after you leave uni, are you expected to have ten employees from day one, do those ten employees have to be full time and do they have to be paid over a certain amount, blah blah blah, etc etc etc, tl;dr nobody will be getting their student loan bill wiped.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a single student who actually worries about paying back their Student Loan. They are more concerned with getting rid of their overdraft and settling with the bank of mum & dad.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, Corbyns plan for an investment bank to support startups is a better idea.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I don't know a single student who actually worries about paying back their Student Loan. They are more concerned with getting rid of their overdraft and settling with the bank of mum & dad.

Really?

In your fcuking dreams Laughing

I take it your kids have not gone through puberty yet because as they go thought that phase the bank of Mum and Dad gene kicks in. The one that tells them this is the bank that keeps on GIVING.

If my kids paid me back everything they owed me I could afford that private jet that keeps advertising at the top of the page. Laughing

Oh, and I wouldn't be the nominal owner of a bloody beer guzzling stroppy equine either.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Really?

In your fcuking dreams Laughing

I take it your kids have not gone through puberty yet because as they go thought that phase the bank of Mum and Dad gene kicks in. The one that tells them this is the bank that keeps on GIVING.

15, 18 and 21. My 21 year old has, in order of concern, his overdraft followed by what he owes us and at the bottom his Student Loan. This is because his overdraft costs him and we give him ear-ache, whereas the Student Loan does neither of those things until he earns over the threshold...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jeremy Hunt has promised to wipe tuition fee debt for young entrepreneurs who launch their own business after leaving university.

As part of his pledge to “turbocharge” the British economy after Brexit, the Tory leadership hopeful said he will waive loan repayments for any graduate who launches a start-up employing more than 10 people for five years.

The Foreign Secretary, who made his fortune as an entrepreneur before entering into the world of politics, hopes the proposal will incentivise more young people to follow in his footsteps.

Just one percent of graduates start their own businesses at present - a figure Mr Hunt says must rapidly increase if the country is to prosper after Brexit.

“I started my own business I still use the lessons that experience taught me - focus, drive and the art of negotiation - every single day.

“I want more young people to have the confidence to take the decision to start their own business, so we create wealth and start thriving as a country again.”

Asked how the commitment would be funded, Mr Hunt’s team said the cost to the taxpayer in waiving the debt would be offset by an increase in tax revenues.

Mr Hunt has been keen to emphasise his entrepreneurial background throughout the leadership campaign, having embarked on several business ventures after leaving Oxford University.

His first (of three failures) was an attempt to export marmalade to Japan, followed by a public relations agency, which he founded with a childhood friend in the early nineties.

Later, he launched an educational guidance company called Hotcourses, which was sold in 2017 for over £30 million, earning Mr Hunt a reported £14 million.

This kind of lucky, priveleged, self-righteous bullshit is typical of these posh "entrepreneurs." (Richard Branson is another.) Hunt is the son of an Admiral, a family descended from a pioneer of the East India Company, a student at Charterhouse, an Oxford BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics who could then afford to m(f)uck about on family money when the working class graduates have to knuckle down and get a job quick. Hunt's first job after graduating was as a "management consultant", though he can have known little about real Business and still doesn't. There followed English language teaching in Japan followed by three failed start-ups back home, later setting up and then richly selling a PR company. Barely a proper job in his CV before he decided politics was cushier. I doubt he created many jobs.

Heidi Allen (ex-Tory, ex-Change UK leader for a milli-second before departing again to be an independent) was also very fond of saying how she had given up her business to be a politician, yet she has another useless degree (Astrophysics) and what she means is she joined her parent's company R.S. Bike Paints in 2008 (established 1978) which is now run by her husband.

Privileged, deluded b/wankers, the lot of 'em!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Well said.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the other day a rather dodgy looking story in my local rag. It claimed that Boris Johnson was "considering" "in private" making a local port a free port. Utter boloks of course but I wondered if anyone else has noticed such obviously planted stories in their local press that look related to the tory leadership fight?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muck flies both ways though.
Hunt's in trouble for condoning fox hunting.
Also dared to criticize China China China over Hong Kong.

Someone's going to have to to rake up some more BoJo muck to even this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it’s been rumbling on at varying levels of volume for over a month now. When it gets sorted out can the country get back to the other important thing we need to sort out in the next month or three? We seem to have made no progress in recent weeks...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
When it gets sorted out can the country get back to the other important thing we need to sort out in the next month or three?

Wishful thinking, parliament leaves for their summer recess on Thursday and doesn't return until the 3rd of September.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be the lowest point of British political personality and effectiveness ever.

The leaders of the political partys.

BoJo the buffoon

Corbyn the commie

Jo 'I stand before you today not just as leader of the Lib Dems, but as a candidate to be prime minister' Swinson Liar

Wee Willie Krankie

Nigel

Brick Wall

The yanks have told us to fuck off and look after our own ships because we wouldn't support their policies against Iran and we have sod all assets to do it so are now going cap in hand to the Europeans.

https://i.postimg.cc/qqjg6XXW/67000914-2528372440558567-1466425967999188992-n.jpg

Bearing in mind our much vaunted Aircraft carriers have no operational planes and our ship based helicopters have no air to sea missile capability until the end of the year.

But hey, we are diverse, inclusive and hug hoodies. Thumbs Up

What a fcuked up country.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... I was looking at a map of the Persian Gulf and the closest major Iranian city is "Shiraz" I thought the mussies didn't drink?!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Maybe wr should be a bit more intetested in what haopens within our borders than where somewhere like Iran wants to sell its oil?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Maybe wr should be a bit more intetested in what haopens within our borders than where somewhere like Iran wants to sell its oil?

Well that's the two-edge sword of globalism: while you might feel warm and fuzzy mouthing the word "diversity" over and over it does mean all the nations of the world start to rely on each other for trade...

So, Iran, you want to sell some oil?

That's right.

And what are you going to spend all the money on? Feeding the poor, medical care, education...?

Oh no! We want to build nuclear weapons.

Right... okay, I think I'll buy oil from someone else.

DIE INFIDEL!

tl;dr don't ask too many questions Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Huh... I was looking at a map of the Persian Gulf and the closest major Iranian city is "Shiraz" I thought the mussies didn't drink?!

Iran was a pretty modern place until the revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF47rrHd7wo

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran was a developing western style democracy until....... https://www.us-uk-interventions.org/Iran.html

And worth a watch.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/secret-seven-sisters/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5