Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Turning rubber into metal ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:01 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Turning rubber into metal ... Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a shit alchemist but I've managed to convert rubber into steel.

I went for a gentle ride in the hills and when I got back, I noticed this lovely metallic sheen on my tyre.

https://i.imgur.com/pVSmo56.jpg

It was looking a bit scraggy before I left but I'm sure I'd not eaten through the wear markers.

Any ideas on how many miles I've got left in it? Less than 1k?

Seriously though, I've never seen anything like this! I won't be fitting this brand in a hurry.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. A mate of mine whose tyre was showing the first signs of that happening came on a ride with us in Wales anyway. He said it'd be ok, he'd just take it easy on the straight bits Laughing Needless to say, it looked something like yours here, or worse, by the time we got back to his place - madness!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:54 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one go to that from being just above the wear bars in 3 hours. I also then had to ride it another 80 miles to the nearest bike shop to get it changed.

I was spanking the arse off it mind. Which I think is the issue, if you put a lot of heat into a very thin layer of rubber, it WILL start to come away from the underlying carcasse.

Seen it before, will undoubtedly see it again.

Anyway, it's fine, only gas-it on the corners.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at least another 2000 miles in that tyre.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ride it in the rain, the metal might start to corrode. Have you thought about applying some ACF50? Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some black insulation tape around the centre section. Make sure to apply it in the correct direction or it will undo.

A mates bike once lost the tread section - you could see how an outer band of rubber was applied to the carcass (at the factory) and a slight overlap made. That overlap undid itself and destroyed the rear mudguard.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it happen to two rears over the last couple of years. One was a Conti Motion fitted to my 1200 Bandit. I'd checked it as usual - near the wear bars but not on them, took a mate out on the back and gave it the beans for a bit, rode into town to refuel and noticed the carcass showing through on the centre.

I put that down to Contis being a cheap (if rather good nonetheless) tyre.

Then it happened on a Metzeler Z8 (again near but not on the wear bars) fitted to my R850R which isn't the worlds most powerful bike - fair enough, I'm not a slow rider by any means but still...

I'm of the opinion that tyre manufacturers are putting the smallest amount of rubber on that they can get away with because profits. Bah.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Turning rubber into metal ... Reply with quote

huskie69 wrote:
Seriously though, I've never seen anything like this! I won't be fitting this brand in a hurry.

I'm confused as to how its the tyres fault that you only drive upright and can't work out when a tyre is worn?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Turning rubber into metal ... Reply with quote

huskie69 wrote:

Not the tyres fault you cant use more than the middle 20%, or check it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:05 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. If you go to Fort William any summer weekend, you'll see guys looking folornly at tyres not dissimilar to that saying "But I thought it had a couple of thousand miles left in it.". Then getting dry bummed by the only tyre supplier in 80 miles.

That's because they aren't used to a) Riding at such a high speed for such a protracted period and b) Super high friction road surfaces for winter ice.

Moral of the story. Buy some Road 5s.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ContiSportAttack 2 been around a while now, latest generation rubber is better but it'll still wear quickly in the middle on "drag" bikes Laughing

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:34 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I bought the bike last month with a flat patch along the centre. I've been trying to round it off to no avail. I just didn't realise how bad the wear was. I'm lucky to have some nice Twisties up here but the commute to work is dual carriageway all the way

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think how much bike tyres cost and the poor mileage we get from them there should be an outcry and a strongly worded letter to Watchdog on the BBC.

Tyres only last me on average 5-6000 miles for the rear and only another 1000 miles for the front.

When you think you can pick up a car tyre for £50 or less and it will last 20k or more, we are really being shafted big time.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
When you think how much bike tyres cost and the poor mileage we get from them there should be an outcry and a strongly worded letter to Watchdog on the BBC.

Tyres only last me on average 5-6000 miles for the rear and only another 1000 miles for the front.

When you think you can pick up a car tyre for £50 or less and it will last 20k or more, we are really being shafted big time.

Bit of a difference in performance levels. You could of course use touring tyres, they tend to last a lot longer.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Skudd wrote:

Bit of a difference in performance levels. You could of course use touring tyres, they tend to last a lot longer.

Plus, you're not exactly a small guy, riding a not very light, 1000cc V-twin bike. That's about as bad as it gets!

I used to see over 10,000 miles out of the rear when I was a skinny 19-24 year old riding 600cc il4's, I got over 15,000 out of a front once too.

That's not too far off of equivalent level car tyres.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:01 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

When you get equivalent performance it ain't.

My Scooby is 'bike fast' 0-60 I think is claimed at about 5 seconds when stock at 265bhp, mine has 330. I do not know the 0-60 as I haven't tried a 'proper' launch because I can't afford a new clutch Laughing both my big bikes are quicker off the line, but would get destroyed at anything above 60-70. I reckon it would keep up with any sports 600 and probably pass it about 140.

The tyres on that are Uniroyal RS3's these aren't a top brand tire but are recommended as good for the scoobs and they are still £100 a corner. If I get much more than £5k from them I'll be impressed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1