Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG125 ‘81 Charging Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:27 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: CG125 ‘81 Charging Issues Reply with quote

Hi, I noticed today that my indicators weren’t working very well on my 6V CG125. I checked the battery and whilst running it was down to 3.96V. Obviously there’s no charge getting to it. I then checked the headlight but nothing happened. I’ve run some tests, here’s the results.

1 - I removed the two pin rectifier and checked for continuity. One way I got no reading, the other way I got 4.17 MOhms. Only getting a reading one way is fine, but the reading seems a little high?

2 - I checked the voltage across wires from the stator whilst the engine was running. I got 0.24V on yellow, 0.1V on pink and 0.86V on white and yellow. They seem really low and I thought they should be the same?

3 - I checked continuity across the coil and from the coil to the ground with the points open (White/Yellow to ground, black to ground and white/yellow to yellowas per the Haynes) and got continuity across all three. This means the coils are okay?

I would like to get a second opinion on the results and any other checks I should do next. I’m guessing the rectifier is okay but maybe on its way out. The stator coils are fine, but maybe grounding and so the output is low?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely one stator pickup goes to the rectifier to charge the battery and another runs the lights with a regulator that dumps excess power to earth.

Multimeter on the battery terminals, give it some revs, are you getting >6 volts? If not then you either have a duff regulator, bad stator or iffy wiring.

If there's not even a slight glow from the headlight when you give it some revs? Again, probably either the regulator, stator or wiring.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: CG125 ‘81 Charging Issues Reply with quote

That bike has no regulator, just a silicon diode so the battery gets DC
any regulation was done by the applied load of the lights and battery
which acts somewhat like a capacitor.

If the diode is fooked and it sounds as if it is, then the battery is getting unrectified AC and they dont like it up em.
the other tests are a bit too vague to make sense out of

Not sure how much an original plug in diode is, I'd save money and stick a
10A TO220 type in myself
They're cheap and easy to source if your prepared to do a wee bit of modding and add a heatsink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-1200V-Fast-Recovery-Diode-VS-10ETF12-TO-220AC-Rectifier-310nS-Multi-Qty/302808571852?hash=item4680cc1fcc:m:mKLcXpfsKQxZvq_JAOUUArg

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:53 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yes, there’s no lights at all and the battery voltage does not increase when the the engine is running or revved. It’s presently at 3.8V and doesn’t change when the engine is ticking over.

I admit that I don’t really know what to make of the AC voltage readings of the stator wires. I know the rectifier is reading one way and not another, and stator coils have continuity like the should.

I will look into the zener diode.

On a side note, when I loosened the flywheel cover a ton of water came out from the bike being out during torrential rains. Also, the thread on the flywheel appears to be knackered so my puller won’t screw on proper! Fun & games.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Zener diode!
Just a diode as a rectifier ( AC to DC)
Zener diodes were used as simple regulators on old bikes to keep the voltage within bounds
They are similar but are used and connected differently

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CG is a simple machine, if your charging system is testing fine with the multimeter then it will be a faulty earth on the loom, so you'll have to see whats going on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1