Disc lock causes fall.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
You don't so much "ride" a cruiser... you are gently and stylishly conveyed to your destination.

On a Jap cruiser, maybe.

On a PROPER cruiser ( Laughing ) you are stylishly dragged along by the engine torque until your arms are stretched out of your sockets and you have forearms like Popeye from trying to control the unruly beast.

But yes.
Stylishly.

I was thinking of getting a disk lock for the Snarley because I am sorely tired of having to lug a rucksack full of chain around the place*. But this thread has reminded me that at least twice in my early years, I have attempted to ride off with a disk lock in place.

*plus then I would have more room for Margaret's take-home goodies Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:23 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I was thinking of getting a disk lock for the Snarley because I am sorely tired of having to lug a rucksack full of chain around the place*. But this thread has reminded me that at least twice in my early years, I have attempted to ride off with a disk lock in place.

There MUST be a bolt-on accessory for this. If you can buy a harley branded tent with an extra-long porch to park your bike in, you can surely get an easily transported physical security device?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing God forbid ... maybe such an item exists.

But it will have a HD logo on it and therefore as susceptible to theft as the actual bike itself.

I'll probably stick to bitching about the chain Laughing

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
You don't so much "ride" a cruiser... you are gently and stylishly conveyed to your destination.

On a Jap cruiser, maybe.

On a PROPER cruiser ( Laughing ) you are stylishly dragged along by the engine torque until your arms are stretched out of your sockets and you have forearms like Popeye from trying to control the unruly beast.

But yes.
Stylishly.

*plus then I would have more room for Margaret's take-home goodies Laughing

If by proper you mean:

Overpriced
Under engineered
Plagued with problems
Purposely massively detuned to make you pay more to bring them up to the HP they're capable of from the factory.
Pathetic snobby dealer network, despite being in the UK where the whole 'hog' thing was never a thing in this country
£40 for HD branded earplugs
Mainly built in far east Asian countries, but pretends to be 100% American anyway
Awful design
Dry sump because, reasons?
Pushrods because, reasons?
Milwaukee 8 which looks and sounds like a Jap V twin because, reasons?
PRESSED together cranks, because cheaper? But i'm paying luxury prices
Wheel bearings made of cheese

Goes on and on. I've not seen a Harley engine exceed 40,000 miles without major repairs since the Evo era. Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.
Everything wobbles off anyway.
I've not taken the angle grinder to all the excessive live to ride stuff yet, but only cos I am scared of being in charge of one unsupervised.
Not sure mine is pre-evo, but I don't think there are many computerised parts on it.
But then, there's only 21,000 miles on this one, and I've put 2000 of them on it, and mostly since Easter.

I guess all those things are a worry for people who take them seriously, but I'm not really from that school of thought. When it doesnt work any more, I'll buy something else.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spose one saving grace is good resale value. That said if you want to make back anything close to what you paid (or sell for what its worth), you'll need to take it seriously once it fails, and repair it with evidence of said repair.

Hope its not an early twin cam...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/dyna-glide-models/198188d1311646532-more-cam-chain-tensioner-worries-2011-07-02_11-16-40_90.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea.
Whats that you have posted a picture of, then?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could just write a simple explanation* of what that is and why I would be interested that you posted it.

I'm just popping to the shops for some Chinese.
Try to avoid laying on the sarcasm, and stick to the facts.

Cos I like to learn stuff.
Believe it or not.

*words of one syllable or less, if you please.
Laughing

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
If you could just write a simple explanation* of what that is and why I would be interested that you posted it.

I'm just popping to the shops for some Chinese.
Try to avoid laying on the sarcasm, and stick to the facts.

Cos I like to learn stuff.
Believe it or not.

*words of one syllable or less, if you please.
Laughing

Jesus give me a chance!
Its a typical cam chain tensioner shoe on an early spring loaded tensioned twin cam.

They can sometimes last for years and a lot of miles, other times can unexpectedly fail and break into pieces. Typical life is up to 25,000 miles before at least one will need replacing.
Harley never admitted to the design fault, nor did they even list it as a maintenance item, instead they quietly released the twin cam v2 which had hydraulically tensioned shoes. Then on the newest engines the shoe design itself has been changed and improved. Millions of results you can read through:

https://www.google.com/search?q=twin+cam+chain+tensioners+forum&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB815GB815&oq=twin+cam+chain+tensioners+forum&aqs=chrome..69i57.6852j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pretty simple to check you basically just need an inspection mirror and a new cover gasket.
AFAIK the Evo engine didn't suffer this problem as I believe the cams were ran on gears.
Believe it or not aftermarket companies have made a killing by selling gear conversion kits, but even those wont work if your crank runout is too big, due to pressed together cranks Rolling Eyes you can't make it up!

In simple terms: The only thing stopping your engine from grenading itself is a cheap bit of plastic which Harley dont even warn you about.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:40 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Typical life is up to 25,000 miles before at least one will need replacing.

The photo you posted is from a post which says:

"91,000 miles on mine when I pulled them to do cams. coulda gone 50,000 more"

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
EazyDuz wrote:
Typical life is up to 25,000 miles before at least one will need replacing.

The photo you posted is from a post which says:

"91,000 miles on mine when I pulled them to do cams. coulda gone 50,000 more"

Thats why I said typical. Its pretty much luck of the draw.
37500 miles:

https://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv312/FXD2003Rider/fe724fc7.jpg

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/531841-tc88-cam-chain-tensioner-inspection-just-in-time.html

That thing was barely hanging in there.
£20,000 luxury machine. Yet a jap bike has a far more simply and reliable design.
Planned obsolescence or American engineering, who knows

20,000 miles:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/dyna-glide-models/124708d1277561444-tc88-cam-chain-tensioner-inspection-just-in-time-tensioners-20k.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan is sounding better by the day...

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

If by proper you mean:

Overpriced
Under engineered
Plagued with problems
Purposely massively detuned to make you pay more to bring them up to the HP they're capable of from the factory.
Pathetic snobby dealer network, despite being in the UK where the whole 'hog' thing was never a thing in this country
Mainly built in far east Asian countries, but pretends to be 100% American anyway
Awful design

Goes on and on. I've not seen a Harley engine exceed 40,000 miles without major repairs since the Evo era. Rolling Eyes

So it’s fair to say you’re not a HD fan then?
Live and let live, to each their own!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
EazyDuz wrote:

If by proper you mean:

Overpriced
Under engineered
Plagued with problems
Awful design

So it’s fair to say you’re not a HD fan then?
Live and let live, to each their own!

I like the look of them and the sound of them pre M8 engines.
Fit and finish is good too, pretty much on par with the likes of Triumph. That's where the good things end though. Their refusal to get with the times is really showing in their profits over the past few years. Now they're hoping to break into the electric bike market. Yours for only £30,000

https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/images/motorcycles/future-vehicles/livewire/global/hero-livewire.jpg

The specs are pretty good for an electric bike. 0-60 3 seconds, can get a full charge overnight using a normal wall outlet, none of that Tesla fancy charging crap. And 140 miles city riding on one charge, so IRL probably 100-120.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

I like the look of them and the sound of them pre M8 engines.
Fit and finish is good too, pretty much on par with the likes of Triumph. That's where the good things end though. Their refusal to get with the times is really showing in their profits over the past few years.

Personally I’m not a HD fan, but in the right environment I think they’re ace. I had a couple in Florida a couple of years back and on the long straight roads, cruise control engaged, converting lots of cheap petrol to noise was amazing. I wouldn’t have swapped for my Panigale. Yesterday however, flowing A roads, clean dry tarmac and warm tyres? Most definitely the opposite. If I’d been on a Harley Davidson I’d still have a great time however, just probably come back with no footrests left!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I definitely have a Ducati pegged as my next bike, cos I've not had one yet.

The HD thing just happened to come along, cheap on eBay at the time, so I got it and am seeing how we get on. Its alright, at least I've had the experience.

My favourite bikes (so far) have been my Super Tenere, my GPZ500 and my Honda XL125.

The GSX750 has promise but its not on the road at the moment. It was a sweet ride, coming back from Milan. But its been neglected these last couple of years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2