Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

saw this really weird electric bike thing in town tonight

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: saw this really weird electric bike thing in town tonight Reply with quote

I tried google to see if I could suss out what this bizarre little "vehicle" was but I don't even know what to enter in the search box.

The thing was about the size of an anorexic's coffin, obviously electric powered. Looked sort of like a small bobsleigh - all white, w/ a flashing red light at the back iirc. Seemed about as safe as train surfing on the underground. Seriously tiny profile and really low to the road, silent, and maybe top speed of 25-30mph. The driver / rider appeared to be prone, legs out in front but all within the bodywork of the thing.

I think I've seen the future - and it looked a bit silly.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:05 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this yeah?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/onlyinbritain/getty-clive-sinclair-c5-alexandra-palace.jpg?imwidth=450

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: saw this really weird electric bike thing in town tonigh Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I tried google to see if I could suss out what this bizarre little "vehicle" was but I don't even know what to enter in the search box

Twizy?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing like either of those. It was tiny. Only a slim bodied person could fit in it. It's only about 18" off the ground - and no clearance is visible. Imagine a Cruise missile, with a small viewing slit.

Definitely the oddest vehicle I've seen. Like I said, I think it must've been electric powered but probably pedal assisted from a (very!) prone position.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something a bit like they use in these eco marathons?

https://whyhydrogen.linde.com/fileadmin/user_upload/keyvisual_meet_the_drivers.jpg

Maybe a one off home made but I presume if it can do 30mph it has to be registered.

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:05 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it something like this? I saw one a few month ago in london that looked like what you described.
https://lonniemorse.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/varna-pir-20103.jpg

I think they're pretty much a regular horizontal bicycle (or whatever they're called) with an aerodynamic shell on top.
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for long rides in the open, not too sure about that in the city filtering between buses and lorries though Mr. Green

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:24 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://whyhydrogen.linde.com/fileadmin/user_upload/keyvisual_meet_the_drivers.jpg

Maybe a one off home made but I presume if it can do 30mph it has to be registered.

Yes - and good point. In light of what Orennayar said, though, it may well have just been pedal, no lecky.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orennayar wrote:
was it something like this? I saw one a few month ago in london that looked like what you described.
https://lonniemorse.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/varna-pir-20103.jpg

I think they're pretty much a regular horizontal bicycle (or whatever they're called) with an aerodynamic shell on top.
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for long rides in the open, not too sure about that in the city filtering between buses and lorries though Mr. Green

Yeah it honestly looked like a recipe for disaster given how low it's profile was. I think you're right about it being just pedal powered, btw.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:57 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few people on recumbent bicycles in London, with little flags on a stick to give them half a chance of being seen at vehicle height.

Still not sure I'd much fancy it myself mind. Fibreglass splinters are horrible at the best of times, without them being smushed into my guts getting squished by a lorry whilst in that thing.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:05 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My girlfriend has one of those, albeit on a much smaller scale.
These battery powered things are really good for when you run out of gas.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:48 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_Motors_NmG

Corbin Sparrow?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowt like it - it only had two wheels

it was what orennayar posted but in white

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago I was following a recumbent bicycle which was doing 40 miles an hour on the A189 dual carriageway. I was amazed at the speed the guy was pedalling it at. 40 on the flat is some speed for a cyclist. he kept this up for a surprising length of time. I stayed behind him to see how long he could keep that up - until I got bored and passed him. This was before electric bikes were seen. My feeling was that the thing was pretty lethal. It could easily be missed by the kind of careless drivers who kill and seriously injure motorcyclists by pulling out on them (65% of mcycle deaths and serious injuries are caused by other vehicles failing to see them and pulling out in front of them or turning right across their path). I'd say you'd have a short lifespan riding one of these on the UK roads these days, with or without a flag on the back of it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a drycycle?

https://www.drycycle.co.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you can get ~30mph on a standard race bike the 40mph on a recumbent sounds reasonable. IIRC when first invented back in the early 20th century they pissed the Tour de France and were banned the next year.

They're much more stable than a standard push bike I would imagine due to the longer wheel base but way to low to the ground to be safe with other road users.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Was it a drycycle?

Wow... the guy in the photo totally doesn't look a tit Shocked

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
Was it a drycycle?

Wow... the guy in the photo totally doesn't look a tit Shocked

£15k Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
FROM £15k.

Seriously, please take my money. I don't want it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have that sort of money to burn surely one of these would be better:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/09/zero-srf-electric-motorcycle-review/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtfo, that drycycle thing can't be for real. Laughing

Which dickhead decided that a four point harness is appropriate or necessary for such a contraption?

That's got to be one of the worst wiperless ideas I've seen in a while. I'd still want to have a go on one just because it looks funny but no one would pay £15k for one of those.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Was it a drycycle?

From £15k. Surely this is doomed to fail. No sane person will pay any where near that.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell that MUST be a piss take Laughing

Quote:
IRON MAN SUIT COMPARISON

The closest thing to a road legal Iron Man suit! Gives protection from outside forces and enhances the power (energy) of the user.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
gtfo, that drycycle thing can't be for real

It is, I saw one on the road, they are based near here. Assume it's a working prototype.

Had the website plastered all over it. Looked it up when I got in and lolled at the price too.

Can just imagine trying to use that on a cycle lane. Laughing

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Was it a drycycle?

If it is limited to a maximum power of 250watts and 15 mph peak electrical assist speed it is a non starter. These limits are stopping much more take up of electrically assisted bikes. There is some talk that the power and speed limits may be raised, but it is an EU thing I thinks so don't hold your breath.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically they're slipping it in as a standard ebike. For 15 bags I'd have thought they'd have at least gone for something ~1.5kW and get it tested as a quadbike. But then you're talking about ppl getting CBTs or motorbike licences whereas this can be "ridden" by anyone over 14 years old.

Who the fuck looked at this project and thought "yeah, I'll invest!!! Take my money"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2