Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mk1 bandit 1996 need some advice usd and single swingarm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jason3249
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Mk1 bandit 1996 need some advice usd and single swingarm Reply with quote

Hi people I've got my mk1 bandit 1996 had it for years but think it's time to give it a make over.

I want to fit usd forks

Also want to fit the single swingarm

Been told all sorts fit then others say they don't fit does anyone know what will bolt on to the bandit

There saying the k1 front end fit for the forks or the strd

And there also saying the vfr750 Triumph t509 both them single swingarms fit

Anyone know 😉

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:34 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is likely a more difficult swap than you're anticipating. I've heard of frames needing modifying, swingarms that needed machining and all sorts of things. The chain run will be a pain, The geometry might be out and you might need to space out the front wheel to match the position of the rear, as there will be no scope for adjustment on the rear.

Personally, I'd sell the Bandit and buy something with a single sided swinging arm and USD forks like an early Speed Triple 1050.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Mk1 bandit 1996 need some advice usd and single swingarm Reply with quote

jason3249 wrote:

There saying

Where?

jason3249 wrote:

And there also

Oh, there. Thanks.

Marjay wrote:

Personally, I'd sell the Bandit and buy something with a single sided swinging arm and USD forks

^ This

jason3249
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjay not selling it has turbo conversion fitted so definitely not going anywhere lol had it from new so gotta keep it

Just wanna change the look of it all new bikes are crap 😉

The info I'm getting is from everywhere, saying the gsxr 750/srad usd forks fit with out doing anything cant be surely, can't I buy a set of k1's and get them pressed in to the bandit yokes same as the bottoms of the forks

Evil got anything better to do instead of trying to rack up your post points hahaha 😂😂😂

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason3249 wrote:
Marjay not selling it has turbo conversion fitted so definitely not going anywhere lol had it from new so gotta keep it

Just wanna change the look of it all new bikes are crap 😉

The info I'm getting is from everywhere, saying the gsxr 750/srad usd forks fit with out doing anything cant be surely, can't I buy a set of k1's and get them pressed in to the bandit yokes same as the bottoms of the forks

Evil got anything better to do instead of trying to rack up your post points hahaha 😂😂😂

Well I hate to say this but it will no doubt involve frame modification, swinging arm machining, perhaps even offset sprockets etc... It's not gonna be easy.

Before you proceed be aware that the following is my opinion, and it is probable that you might disagree with some or all of it... Worth consideration before you proceed. My aim is not to offend but as you can see from the little quote in my signature, I've felt this way for a while and about a lot of different bikes... Ok here goes.

I feel like if you are asking on a forum as to how to do it, it may be beyond you. If it were easy and there were a straight swap you'd have found out by now. If you were capable of measuring and modifying yourself you'd be doing it by now.

(see here for an example):

https://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45299.0

Or here:

https://section59mk1.blogspot.com/p/single-sided-swingarm-guide.html

The steel cradle frame on the Bandit is not all that in the first place, and one wonders why you'd choose a 600 engine to turbo over a 1200... but I will forget about that for the moment.

If you're still up for it after that, then you need to find somebody to help you do the measuring and cutting. It needs to be someone trustworthy who has done this type of work before. I'm thinking a reputable specials builder. I'm not really sure if there are any reputable specials builders, but I digress.

The other option is to just buy a tarty Bandit swinging arm.... I still think it might not be worth it at the end of it. If you're doing it because you like a project and you want to do the work, fine, but if you're doing it t get a better bike... Don't think you'll get that... You could just buy a nice GSXR and turbo that. It might well be cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1100 1990-1996 complete front end would be relatively simple to fit as the stems are the same.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
GSXR1100 1990-1996 complete front end would be relatively simple to fit as the stems are the same.

As are the bearings. They are iirc the only USD's that are long enough to maintain the standard ride height.

Virtually any USD's off an alloy frame Suzuki will fit, Suzuki has used the same length steerer and the same bearings on most models, no doubt there will be exceptions but not many but the problem is length, most are several inches too short.

As to the swinger most use ones that have a direct fitting shock i.e no linkage as its easier, BROS ones used to be common for this offset with a VFR or Triumph hub fitted for the wider rear wheel. Other option was welding a mount for a rear shock on a VFR750 swingarm so you didn't have to use the linkage.

Now I don't know your level of ability but none of this is hard. If you can't do the work you can measure and plan it and pay someone else to do it just like many others do.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a build thread on here if possible please - I’m sure it’d attract interest. To be honest a few photos of a turbo Bandit would be good now!
Best of luck if you decide to go ahead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1