Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Missing rear axle/swingarm collar and nut

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:16 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Missing rear axle/swingarm collar and nut Reply with quote

So I was just looking at my bike the other day and notice that the right-side axle nut and collar were missing. It obviously freaked me out a little as I'd obviously ridden it that way to get home. I didn't notice any clunking sound or anything when riding so didn't notice anything wrong.
Mulling it over in my head as well as speaking to a couple guys separately at Honda, they both said it may well have been nicked! It seemed crazy but then I thought about it and it could be so.

I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about.

Anyone ever had this happen to their bikes? Have you heard of an axle nut and collar being nicked off a bike?

The only two places I wasn't always watching the bike was when out test riding a bike in central london while my bike was parked outside central bikes. The second was at Ace Cafe where the bike was out of sight when I was inside the cafe.

Any response is appreciated.

P.S I ordered replacement parts and have now fitted them, all good.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any arguments with anyone recently? Any neighbourly disputes, for example? What time and day (i.e. was it a weekday or a weekend) did you visit Ace Cafe? Daytime or night? An event day or a weekend?

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, nothing at all and even if I did, they wouldn't be able to get at it since my bike is parked in the garden. Last Friday I was there from 1:30 to 2:30. No event, just went in for a coffee

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Missing rear axle/swingarm collar and nut Reply with quote

hirmalde wrote:
I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about.

It hasn't come out.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Cafe does tend to get a very mixed crowd, but the day and timing of your visit makes it seem less likely someone interfered with your bike there.

There was another occasion you parked in central London. Was there a chain looped through your rear wheel? Perhaps a theft attempt was interrupted, i.e. someone wanted to quietly make off with your bike, and decided the best way to do this was to slip out the rear wheel.

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:43 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep sorry about the photo, it wouldn't come up in the preview. This is my first time using a forum of any sort so bare with me! How do I reply to something specific like you did with me, @Riejufixing?

And yes Bhud that's what I was thinking and moreover it's Ace Cafe for godsake, a place which is a safe haven or whatever for bikers...I think Wink
Perhaps yes, it could've been a theft attempt but again, right outside a motorcycle dealership?? If so then we are all doomed. It's to be expected in London I guess.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many possibilities.

In order of suspicions, the highest on my list would be someone trying to steal the bike while it had a chain and padlock through the rear wheel, if the rear wheel was secured in some way while you left the bike parked in central London. Nobody gives a second look to anyone fiddling with a bike with some hand tools in broad daylight in a public place. Leaving one of the wheels there is a common method of stealing pushbikes, so it's not hard to imagine someone whipping the wheel off while his gang are around the corner waiting with a white van.

The same could apply to when you parked at the dealership, if this is how you normally secure your bike. Bear in mind that (just speculating here), if the dealership staff were complicit in the theft by turning the other way and seeing nothing, they would stand to gain a small reward from the gang of thieves and a potential sale from you at the end of your test ride (the only way to turn your bad day into a good one would be to buy the new bike you just tested?) And a bike dealership probably has a spare wheel that fits your bike in stock, so if the bike wasn't there upon your return, they could plausibly claim to have heard nothing and seen nothing, even if they did it themselves. Not saying this is what happened, just pointing out one of many possiibilities.

Regarding Ace Cafe, there's a Youtube video where the staff there turn a blind eye to the presence of bike thieves inside the cafe, who are apparently regulars, and kicking out the guy who pointed them out...

London is the common denominator in all the likely scenarios here.

Last edited by Bhud on 16:20 - 25 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirmalde wrote:
Yep sorry about the photo, it wouldn't come up in the preview.

You have to press "Add an attachment" under the text for your reply, and point it to your picture's file.

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:39 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of suspicions, the highest on my list would be someone trying to steal the bike while it had a chain and padlock through the rear wheel, if the rear wheel was secured in some way while you left the bike parked in central London. Nobody gives a second look to anyone fiddling with a bike with some hand tools in broad daylight in a public place. Leaving one of the wheels there is a common method of stealing pushbikes, so it's not hard to imagine someone whipping the wheel off while his gang are around the corner waiting with a white van.

The same could apply to when you parked at the dealership, if this is how you normally secure your bike. Bear in mind that (just speculating here), if the dealership staff were complicit in the theft by turning the other way and seeing nothing, they would stand to gain a small reward from the gang of thieves and a potential sale from you at the end of your test ride (the only way to turn your bad day into a good one would be to buy the new bike you just tested?) And a bike dealership probably has a spare wheel that fits your bike in stock, so if the bike wasn't there upon your return, they could plausibly claim to have heard nothing and seen nothing, even if they did it themselves. Not saying this is what happened, just pointing out one of many possiibilities.

Regarding Ace Cafe, there's a Youtube video where the staff there turn a blind eye to the presence of bike thieves inside the cafe, who are apparently regulars, and kicking out the guy who pointed them out...

London is the common denominator in all the likely scenarios here.[/quote] wrote:

Yes, all valid points, unfortunately I didn't chain it up or even put a disc lock on it...what was I thinking? I did suspect exactly what you've said about the dealers having something to do with it.
I guess I feel a little better now that you've said what you have about ace cafe too. Seems there's a real shortage of decent human beings out there now.

I've just bought the Innovv K2 dashcam with cameras front and rear with a unit included which should alert me to any movement of the bike and/or recording the lowlifes that would do stuff like this (if they did).

Thanks for the insight

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:40 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirmalde wrote:

wrote:

Yes, all valid points, unfortunately I didn't chain it up or even put a disc lock on it...what was I thinking? I did suspect exactly what you've said about the dealers having something to do with it.
I guess I feel a little better now that you've said what you have about ace cafe too. Seems there's a real shortage of decent human beings out there now.

I've just bought the Innovv K2 dashcam with cameras front and rear with a unit included which should alert me to any movement of the bike and/or recording the lowlifes that would do stuff like this (if they did).

Thanks for the insight[/quote]

Haha fucked up the quoting my bad

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace cafe
London
theivincockneybastardland

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Ace cafe
London
theivincockneybastardland

Wrong side of London farm boy.

See how I made a sweeping generalisation just like you did Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all that London past Reading innit?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:18 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of part like that being nicked, and it doesn't make much sense. Whilst axles do tend to use an odd thread size so you often need to get the part from a dealer - no popping into screwfix for a general nut - they aren't that expensive, and ebay is full of cheap used axles and nuts.

If I was nicking parts off parked bikes to sell, I would probably nick bodywork and brake calipers.

More likely that the bolt wasn't done up tight and secured with a P-clip, and it fell off.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I have never heard of part like that being nicked, and it doesn't make much sense. Whilst axles do tend to use an odd thread size so you often need to get the part from a dealer - no popping into screwfix for a general nut - they aren't that expensive, and ebay is full of cheap used axles and nuts.

If I was nicking parts off parked bikes to sell, I would probably nick bodywork and brake calipers.

More likely that the bolt wasn't done up tight and secured with a P-clip, and it fell off.

Exactly this, it's obviously possible that it was stolen. But really?

I don't think so.

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:23 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my bike serviced (Not mentioning the dealer), Rode the bike home, about 5 miles, rode to work the next morning including a trip a long the A40 15 miles. I then had a hospital appointment which I rode to along the A4 as I was leaving the A4 the bike felt as if it was suffering from a puncture. Got to the hospital and noticed that the axle nut and collar was missing and the spindle had worked it's was out by about 5-6cm Shocked

Apparently the dealers new mechanic had only tightened it up finger tight.

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:23 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I did initially think that it probably just unscrewed itself. Then again isn't the axle fitted left to right with the nut on the right side so that it can only be tightened further by the action of the wheel rotating?

Regarding it being stolen, I thought nah...can't be. But you never know what people get up to in London!

I had to order the collar from Honda so I may as well have ordered the nut and washer straight from them too. But yes, it's bloody expensive. Cute Honda trying to be Ducati Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirmalde wrote:
To be fair I did initially think that it probably just unscrewed itself. Then again isn't the axle fitted left to right with the nut on the right side so that it can only be tightened further by the action of the wheel rotating?

Does your bike not have wheel bearings then?

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:40 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
hirmalde wrote:

Does your bike not have wheel bearings then?

It does..

hirmalde
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Punk wrote:
I had my bike serviced (Not mentioning the dealer), Rode the bike home, about 5 miles, rode to work the next morning including a trip a long the A40 15 miles. I then had a hospital appointment which I rode to along the A4 as I was leaving the A4 the bike felt as if it was suffering from a puncture. Got to the hospital and noticed that the axle nut and collar was missing and the spindle had worked it's was out by about 5-6cm Shocked

Apparently the dealers new mechanic had only tightened it up finger tight.

Damn lucky you got away with that one! One more reason why I just hate leaving my bike to be fettled with by someone that may not have a clue what they're doing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1