Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

best show you my ride...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: best show you my ride... Reply with quote

Thought I may as well be brave and show you guys what I ride about on... no laughing now.. no only joking it gets laughed at every time I take it out... part of what it was meant to do

https://i.postimg.cc/KzD7VtD0/13254574-10209475728589067-7219612114430628388-n.jpg

Yes its a Bsa Ariel 3
built from the remnants of a bike that came with a complete one I bought, was missing its engine so as a former monkeybiker there seemed only one option

https://i.postimg.cc/L54kMhy2/phone4.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/pTHYqsz9/13227492-10209475706228508-1410216966642603743-o.jpg[/img]

If ive got it right this is a clip of it in action, I should point out the video is being shot from THIS bike at a ride out we had a few months ago, I use it as the camera bike as its got a little bit of poke compared to the stock ones...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSzYeYeGQqU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spare wheel on the back is a nice touch Thumbs Up

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, turned out to be a necessity as its only powered on the left hand wheel, and at first the tyres were lasting about 25 miles before being down to the canvas Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:09 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was the result of a ride from Evesham to Worcester.. to a local big bike meet

https://i.postimg.cc/NjrQxDgv/20180412-132824.jpg

have since found better tyres, and found that not hammering the living doodats out of it also helps tyre longevity

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose someone has to!

Interesting machines and I've some questions.
With that different engine - does it have cooling like the original does? I ask because surely it'll overheat trapped in that box??

Are they true 3-wheelers and if so, do you need to wear a crash helmet to ride on public roads?

That's crazy with the driven wheel and tread loss.

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:01 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey !! classed as moped due to width of rear wheels and fact one wheel only braked and driven.
Engine has been fine so far, front of box is opened up to direct air and and there are scoops at the front that are the width of the wheels (form the leading edge of the mudguards)
original engine had a pressed steel fan that only span when the wheel was turning, but amazingly you can wring their necks and they just take it (recently rode one to bristol from dauntsey and back again). biggest journey on this so far in one go was 38 miles on a moped road run and a fair bit of that was flat out, I tried to route the exhaust low and out of the box as quick as i could to prevent heat build up, its a work in progress Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wheel driven?! Eeek! My engineering OCD would kick in Laughing

Avoily
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:56 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. This car seems to have a lot of age.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wikipedia: Even the Ariel 3's promotion was ill-conceived, the sales slogan being "Here it is - whatever it is!.

Laughing

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:26 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are good fun, yes they are scary as hell on uneven roads (which in the cotswolds is most of them) ive got a stock one as well which is completely different in character to this thing, they both have their merits though

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one wheel undriven and unbraked. So it's effectively a combination?

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary bike with a built in stabiliser and no suspension (on the back anyways)

heres a closer look

excuse the wobbly video, im crap with cameras but this was a walk round video I made for the project when I first started it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-luEx3Zha1w

this is it out in the real world on a road run with a group of stock bikes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSzYeYeGQqU

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:10 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
One wheel driven?! Eeek! My engineering OCD would kick in Laughing

I think ive finally found a small enough diff with steel gears to add a bit of drive to the second wheel Very Happy also big enough to put a disc brake on
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1