Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

China Social Credit system.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
. Do you get annoyed about the fact that school students can't elect their headmaster? Why?

Ok, I give up trying to keep this thread on topic.

So sounds like your saying the Chinese people are essentially like children. There to be seen and not heard. If thats the state of the chinese people then why (apart from gross miliatary and economic power) should the rest of the world take the Chinese govt seriously? Presumably that government is made up of Chinese people, essentially a bunch of School Prefects?

Also why shouldn't we as a people of a democracy not be proud of that system and believe in it enough that we should have a very poor regard for autocratic systems.

At what point did I say the world should adopt the Chinese system?

I said it's a system that works for the people who live here. I also said that a key tenet of Chinese culture is to learn from (copy) things that are proven to work. The CCP has observed the successes and failures of the west and is now implementing policies based on what they have seen. For me to say that the west could learn a thing or two from the Chinese system is not to say the west needs to go into full-bore cultural revolution mode. It's just a basic case of learning by example. Pick out the good bits that would work in western society.

As for Chinese folk being like school children, well that's a funny one.

Firstly, no I didn't mean it that way. The analogy was more about the parents of school children. Parents don't vote for teachers or headmasters, yet they're still happy to put their children through several of education with 'unelected officials' for the entire of their child's upbringing. If the school changes headmaster, or your kid gets a new teacher halfway through the year, do you hear parents complaining of their lack of democratic freedom? No.

Secondly, culture is a massive factor which all you naysayers are overlooking here. You're assuming the entire world thinks like westerners do, but this is wrong.

For example, Chinese people always prefer busy places. They treat authority with reverence. They'll scramble to the front of a queue unless someone specifically tells them not to. They'll ignore problems in the hope that 'somebody else' will deal with it. They give zero genuine fucks about anyone outside of their immediate friends and family. (Interesting infographics here: https://wordlesstech.com/differences-between-eastern-and-western-cultures/)

To the outsider, Chinese people really do seem to act like, and be treated like, school children! But it's the norm for them, they're perfectly happy this way, and this is reflected in the wider social and political picture we've been discussing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Western thing they probably shouldn't have copied: property bubbles.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
One Western thing they probably shouldn't have copied: property bubbles.

Generally agree with this, though I did once read an interesting point that said the big difference here is that the CCP has absolute control over banks and the economy, so they can freeze assets/cash just like that to prevent the bubble from ever bursting. At the drop of a hat they can stop the bubble from growing any larger, and wait for the economy to catch up.

It was something along those lines anyway. Not sure if it makes sense or not. Probably needs some input from Itchy at this point.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Hong Kong, I wonder what the social credit score of all those protestors is? Carrie Lam for that matter as well?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
So, Hong Kong, I wonder what the social credit score of all those protestors is? Carrie Lam for that matter as well?

Minus a million.

I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the media, with all sides using it for political gain.

Western media for obvious anti-China reasons.

And China is doing the same. They sent a huge, huge array of military vehicles and personnel to Shenzhen over the past couple of days, and amateur footage of it went viral all over social media. Of course everyone now believes two things:

1. Things over there are getting really bad
2. The Chinese government is getting serious about dealing with it.

Meanwhile my mate (a British/HK guy) in Hong Kong this very moment tells me there's absolutely nothing going on, give or take a couple of tiny protests every now and again. Western and Chinese media are turning it into a circus for their own gain.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, this doesn't look very made-up to me: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/13/hong-kong-airport-reopens-as-trudeau-urges-china-to-address-serious-concerns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3xoJGCBPL2tvFH9rNwCMdgBrs_dkCVc8IXuCx-HlpAIFKkz5D5l-iQxF8

Hong Kong airport occupied by protesters for 5 days.

But it is the Guardian, so who knows.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie Lam is in a very unenviable position. It doesn't look like she can do anything without some s#it falling on her head.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Carrie Lam is in a very unenviable position. It doesn't look like she can do anything without some s#it falling on her head.

Sacrificial Lam(b) springs to mind Cool

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet she's cursing the twonks in Beijing for coming up with the plan to render people arrested to the mainland.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" is strangely relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 245 days between these two posts...
henrywilson This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit-10.com gave me arse cancer.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit-10.com gave me CoronaVirus.

And won't say sorry Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:59 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

credit-10.com are Dirty Berties.

Fucked and Donked by credit-10.com before realising they've given you the coronavirus. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3