Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you Buy a Bike you Haven't Seen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

LearnerLEGAL
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Would you Buy a Bike you Haven't Seen? Reply with quote

I've been shopping for my first big bike and have seen a Yamaha XSR700 on Superbike Factory. Now they are based in Manchester and I am in London. I've already test ridden an XSR so know that I like it, Superbike Factory have sent me a detailed blemish report with images. Being from a reputable retailer, it comes with a warranty etc and because they made a mistake with me earlier causing some real time wasting, have offered free delivery.
I know in theory it's not wise to buy a bike you haven't seen..but...are there some scenarios where it can be ok? And is this one of those scenarios?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'they made a mistake with me earlier causing some real time wasting'

Does that not answer your question? Sure they're now offering free delivery but is it truly free delivery or is the price slightly raised to allow that to be swallowed up?
OK start again. Suppose they hadn't wasted your time and you were simply a customer sniffing around and looking at the bike, they'd basically know you were interested. They might well have offered that free delivery in the first place to seal the sale of it anyway. What I'm trying to say is perhaps prices are slightly higher and they already offer free delivery as a bargaining tool..

Your money but as with anything like a vehicle purchase it pays to take off those roses tinted spectacles and not trust any of the people selling the machine to you.
Be interesting to see what others think here..

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance selling Regs would apply if you bought remotely; yes it'd be a faff, but you'd ultimately be covered I think;

https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/goodsandservices/distanceordering

I'd suggest asking every conceivable question, including some cover-alls, e.g. "Is there anything I should know about the condition or history of this bike" etc.

I'd also Google Maps / streetview the dealer to confirm their true location etc.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't physically check over the bike yourself then a) it has to be dirt cheap and b) don't expect to go straight on the road with it regardless of its MoT status.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought bikes unseen before, so far not had any problems, it's how I bought my Bullet 350 that I ended up keeping at least 6 years. It was fine, and, that was a private sale. Same again with my new HPS125 toy, bought that unseen, and again it's fine. Both had plenty of pics to send, and, with the HPS even a video

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a second hand divvy for my wife from a dealer sight unseen. Plenty of pictures and a long chat over the phone and I took a chance, it was fine.

However there are some unscrupulous bastards out there so it certainly isn't risk free.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not from leolion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:58 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my current z800 from KH motorcycles somewhere up narf without going to visit first. They delivered, plenty of pics and lots of phone calls. I honestly cant fault the bike. It has a slight dink in the exhaust and a tiny chip out of one of the side panels but I knew that from the pictures when I bought it.

They even done follow up calls a week later to make sure I was still happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:06 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not as even if I had ridden a similar bike I would want to ride the actual one to make sure it rides, sounds and feels right

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the vehicle tbh. If I was after something very rare or specific yes I would and have bought vehicles in-seen. Some things are so hard to find that you don't get to piss around agonising over or its gone.

If I wanted a modern bike like your XSR then unless I lived very remote or had no access to local vehicles or there was no market for them in my area, then sure I'd want to see the bike first. There must be 2000,3000 new and used XSR700's in the UK, so I don't see why you can't go and see any of them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I;ve done it - w/ mixed results. But, on the one occasion when it went quite badly wrong, I didn't end up out of pocket iirc. Close call though. Had to get a bit heavy w/ the seller.

Would I do it again? Eh - may be not. Depends. What kind of bike? How does the seller seem on the phone? What are the photos like? What's the quantity and quality of paperwork, service history w/ the bike, etc. A lot of variables.

I think I'd advise against it, unless you're quite experienced at purchasing big expensive things, and are able to frighten people quite easily. ; - )

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Smok3y666
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:48 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 2 bikes I brought were unseen. First was a 1997 Fireblade that I got maybe 10 years ago from eBay. Traveled from Stoke to somewhere in North Yorks and rode it back no insurance. That bike retired about 3 or 4 years ago and got into a state of cost too much money to put right for a least so I sold it on few months back. Recently after the break I brought a ZX6R from Matlock again from eBay. Maybe I just got lucky? Full history and standard except for an end can. Was very happy with both.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I;ve done it - w/ mixed results. But, on the one occasion when it went quite badly wrong, I didn't end up out of pocket iirc. Close call though. Had to get a bit heavy w/ the seller.

I think I'd advise against it, unless you're quite experienced at purchasing big expensive things, and are able to frighten people quite easily. ; - )

And ladies and gentlemen here we have a first class fucking tosser! Rolling Eyes

So you expect all (private) sellers to go out of their way to give you a good deal and make you happy and sell you a stunning bike that wants for nothing?

And if the bike isn't as good as you thought, or has a fault or breaks down, or maybe the seller just doesn't like the look of you, then you think it's OK to attempt to go back and intimidate or frighten them into giving you the money back or knocking down the price?

Come round here and frighten me if you like. If you had a 6hour drive to see a bike I was selling, you wouldn't get as far as spitting on the drive before being told to fuck off you pathetic piece of scum! Wink

Bellypopper
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

And ladies and gentlemen here we have a first class fucking tosser! Rolling Eyes

So you expect all (private) sellers to go out of their way to give you a good deal and make you happy and sell you a stunning bike that wants for nothing?

And if the bike isn't as good as you thought, or has a fault or breaks down, or maybe the seller just doesn't like the look of you, then you think it's OK to attempt to go back and intimidate or frighten them into giving you the money back or knocking down the price?

Come round here and frighten me if you like. If you had a 6hour drive to see a bike I was selling, you wouldn't get as far as spitting on the drive before being told to fuck off you pathetic piece of scum! Wink

Has someone had a bad day Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Funnily enough it was a KDX200 (can't remember the year), blue. I specifically asked the seller if the tank had been lined - oh no, absolutely not. I said I needed one with a decent tank, this was very important. Are you absolutely certain the tank's in decent nick with no lining shenanigans? Yes that's right mate. Tank's in great shape. Okay - cool.

Bike comes out of the courier's van, I get the key's, flip the cap - and it's like the tank has a tin foil bag inside it. So obvious, so bad. Even to someone with no idea about anything.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:17 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living up north, I've never viewed a bike before agreeing to buy and I've done it with very few cars either. Generally the stuff that matters you can see in pictures if the seller is motivated, and what you can't see will catch you out later even if you've viewed it.

That said I buy older stuff generally so a full service and replacing some bits is par for the course.

LearnerLEGAL
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:24 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Depends on the vehicle tbh. If I was after something very rare or specific yes I would and have bought vehicles in-seen. Some things are so hard to find that you don't get to piss around agonising over or its gone.

If I wanted a modern bike like your XSR then unless I lived very remote or had no access to local vehicles or there was no market for them in my area, then sure I'd want to see the bike first. There must be 2000,3000 new and used XSR700's in the UK, so I don't see why you can't go and see any of them?

I had seen quite a few but there's definitely a London Tax on the one's I've seen compared to the relative bargain I ended up picking up.

LearnerLEGAL
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad I went to see the bike. It had obviously been left out in weather, lots of corrosion, dry rusty chain and god knows what else I would have found when I got it home as it clearly hadn't had it's next clocked service. Ended up seeing a bike in Wolverhampton, took a spin over and fell in love. The guy selling it was a true gent and I had a good feeling about him right away so trusted everything he said and it turned into a very easy buy. Rode it back home on a 5 hour trip. What a way to break the bike in. All's well that ends well.

Thank you all for your advice and experience, as always much appreciation to the community.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah couple of times I've done it, always for cheapo bikes £500 or less, never had any real problems - but I've always bought bikes with quite lengthy descriptions that point out all the flaws, or chatted online to the seller

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a project, then yes. Project bikes always seem to be further afield than a 70-odd mile radius of London.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it several times without issues. However the last two i bought were FUCKING lemons. A VFR750 that had been flipped and a "Barnfindchopperbobbercaferacer" Enfield consisting of parts of at least 3 different motorcycles up to 60 years apart in manufacture date that had been loosely assembled into a rough motorcycle shape by a monkey with a stilson then rattle-canned black.

Luckily I had enough spares to rebuild the first properly and I only wanted the frame and some cycle parts off the second

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rare occasion I buy any vehicle (I run them into the ground) I decide on a particular model/year/colour/mileage/price so I'm quite limited; if I find one I'm having it. This gives me no wiggle room. When I wanted something bigger than a 600 I decided I wanted a blue 2002-3 R1 (because they're purdy and in the right price range) in original condition. This proved difficult until I spotted one on eBay 250 miles away which looked otherwise perfect. I tried to ignore it and the sale ended, but then it was reposted. I put in a late, drunken bid (at a fair price) and won. I thought I could pay a deposit via PayPal but it took the full amount. Oh, shit! When I asked for the registration to check the bike's status it came back as a Chinese scooter. Oh, shit! The seller said his wife had put the wrong letter into the reg details. Yeah, right! However, I got a lift to the seller's house and everything was spot on, in fact he was more concerned that I could handle an R1 until I emerged from his bathroom fully kitted-up in my worn gear like a proper biker. The bike has been exactly what I wanted. So, would I buy a bike I hadn't seen? I did, and it was fine. Still a risk though.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
If it's a project, then yes. Project bikes always seem to be further afield than a 70-odd mile radius of London.

Funny that. Most of the bikes that I fancy buying are down London way Sad
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1