Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camper/Caravan/RV living

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Camper/Caravan/RV living Reply with quote

Thoughts on this?
Anyone got any experience, stories, know of others who do it/have done it?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Camper/Caravan/RV living Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Thoughts on this?
Anyone got any experience, stories, know of others who do it/have done it?

Are you talking of a caravan/RV on a camp site or moving. They are two very different animals.

I've lived on a 39ft long boat for months at a time although I'm not sure how comparable that is.

I'll tell you the worst things about it and you can extrapolate what is the equivalent for a land based living.

Heating in winter - I had a diesel stove for room heating and a gas water heater, it struggled in the depths of winter to keep me warm. 16 was the normal cabin temperature. luke warm was the shower temp.

Electricity - Solar was bugger all use in winter so had to run engine/generator every day to have enough electric even for lights etc. Because of that I used to spend evenings in pubs with wifi. It got expensive.

Having to keep stocking up on food - No deep freeze and small fridge so most food was tinned or dried. At least in winter you could put the milk outside.

Space - I was just about OK on my boat but if you are talking a small caravan or motor home it would drive me up the wall.

If you are talking a camp site with electric hook up, showers etc. then it's doable if you are organised, you can't let it get messy.

If you are moving day by day it's much more difficult , be prepared to be regarded as a pikey. Laughing

Saying all that I could happily live on my present boat but it's 48ft long and has every modern convenience a house has.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about a nomadic life.
I'm in a peculiar spot where I outright own a house, but I can't find work - I'll leave the reasons for that aside for now, but there it is.
I have a small steady income for life, but it's not enough to live in this house.

I have lived in a tent, twice for a month at a time, and once for 2 months. I consider those times to be some of the best, if not the best of my life. Nowadays, tent living for long periods is probably a bit too extreme for me, but how I'm living in a house right now - well, everything is pretty stripped down. Food is simple and cheap, I don't really buy anything else anymore. I don't miss buying stuff, don't need most of it, don't want it.

I'm going nowhere right now. I need a big change.

In my mind is also the fact that the UK is probably not an easy place to live the nomadic life once you go beyond tent living. I wonder about going to the US to do it. I know there would be all kinds of barriers about getting in legally and all the rest, but I have no real knowledge of these, and how I might overcome them, if they can be at all. I have no connections to people who might be able to ease a path through any of this. So I sit and I think, "probably, I can't do this." But I wonder all the same.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retired couple over the road from me spend most of their time in a camper travelling from site to site in southern Europe. Apparently there is a large 'middle class' travelling community down there. Personally I think they are camp site swingers...

Not sure this option will be available post-Brexit though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
The retired couple over the road from me spend most of their time in a camper travelling from site to site in southern Europe. Apparently there is a large 'middle class' travelling community down there. Personally I think they are camp site swingers...

Of course it will be. You just pretend you're Syrian or Libyan or something and move from immigrant camp to immigrant camp Laughing

Nah, if I could do it, I think it would have to be the States. So, like I say, probably not possible for me. But it's a discussion I'd like to have anyway. I don't have friends to talk to about it Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking the US and their type of RV then yes, easily doable.

Bloody great motorhome with all mod cons. Huge land area where you can just about pull over at the side of the road anywhere outside town. No stigma, at least, no where near as much as in the UK.

I take it you are thinking of renting your house out to fund yourself while you do it?

Oh, one other thing, those huge RV don't come cheap, have you got 40 grand to chuck at (a reliable) one?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I can find some kind of work meanwhile, everything would have to come out of the sale of my house. If there is any possibility of doing it, I have to think about it now, because I'm already in debt with the bank (just to eat), and time isn't standing still.

There would be all kinds of barriers for me to overcome to get there, but once there, I just think it would be a much more sustainable way of life for me. I read about people overcoming all kinds of problems, some worse than the ones I face, and yet they do it. I wonder if I could too.

It wouldn't be a "bloody great motorhome" - something a little more humble than those the rich go on vacation in (vacation - already getting the mindset Laughing ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't used ours as much for the last couple of years or so, do to various things, however, whilst it has improved somewhat in the UK, I don't think i'd fancy the nomadic lifestyle over here, also, bear in mind, November - March there will be very lean pickings as far open sites go over here in the UK.

However, have spent a good long time traveling round France, Germany, and Holland especially, and over there, motorhomes are very well catered for, sites fees are cheap, if not free. Look online for France Passion, or the french Aires sites, which are dirt cheap, and are specifically for campervans/motorhomes only, to get you started

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the old story, if you can afford to take the hit, then why not. You might be dead next week.

I've spunked a large portion of my retirement fund on a new boat and a (relatively) expensive car. Wifey was not impressed but i have heart problems and people with what I have do not normally live 5 years beyond their first attack so fcuk it, why not do what you want to do.

I'm sure there are organisations out there that can help. It's quite amazing what groups there are even on FB if you dig deep enough.

Oh, and the American ladies love a British accent. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It's the old story, if you can afford to take the hit, then why not. You might be dead next week.

I wonder if I can afford not to take the hit. There is no point to where I'm at right now. I wondered even before I bought this house whether it was the right thing for me to do, and I'm now thinking it wasn't - or maybe was then, just to find that out.

It hasn't been completely wasted - the first couple of years where I went motorcycle touring with a firm base to come back to was an experience, or set of experiences that form another important part of my history that I wouldn't be without. But it's not practical for me to continue with that now, and lately my mind has been turning to more philosophical matters.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a way to look at be to decide what view you want to have whilst you are being philosophical? Texas sky or frozen food isle at Tescos?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was single I'd flog my house and spend the rest of my life on the boat exploring the waterways. It something I want to do and could live relatively well with no house costs.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking, you are no spring chicken are you Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Could a way to look at be to decide what view you want to have whilst you are being philosophical? Texas sky or frozen food isle at Tescos?

That's easy. Tesco is what I currently have to do. Texas (or better still, the Rockies) sky is what I want need need to explore further than I have, as far as that particular question goes. I also need a far cheaper way of living. I'm comfortable alone, although I don't always shy away from company, if the right kind is offered.

I'm happiest on a mountain flank, or walking in a forest, by a river etc. After 52 years, I know that, it's established. There's nothing to discuss for me on what I want or need in life. I know that kind of life would work for me, or could, at least. But I'm even limited in how much of that I can do right now.

So I want people to talk about if there is a way for me to actually do this. Is it at all realistic for me, given where I'm at right now? Because if it isn't, I don't know where I'm going. Well, that's not entirely true - I'm engaged on a philosophical quest; perhaps we're all engaged in that quest to some level or other, but I want to make it my main focus. I have no other ambition now, and it's a struggle, given my current circumstances and worries, to give it my full concentration. Doing nothing about it is becoming a less and less realistic option. I can see my future clearly if nothing changes, and it isn't a pleasant one. As to my age, mentioned above, and my health status, they seem to be largely irrelevant now. I can sit and succumb to everything, or die trying not to Laughing

Right, now I'm off for a walk by the river Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read this, you may find it both relevant and enlightening...

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, no surprise but I'm going to suggest moving to Cyprus and staying with bricks and mortar, by keeping your house in UK and renting over there.

Great weather, relaxed lifestyle, cheap living costs. Healthcare available.
Great roads for biking, beautiful countryside for walking, coastline for everything else.

English spoken nearly everywhere although you could exercise your brain by learning Greek.

Here's an example, our house there costs 80% less to run compared to the cost of our house in the UK and it is comparable in size etc. Council tax there is less than a twelfth than here. Utilities are way cheaper and obviously, you use far less gas & electricity.

Food costs are comparable or cheaper if you eat fresh, local produce.

You could consider renting your current place out, then renting in Cyprus. Your UK costs would be covered with some to spare to supplement your other income to fund your life in sunny Cyprus.

Finally and most importantly there is a great support network and social life (including bike groups) for ex-military types Wink

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An American lad interned at my office for a couple of months last summer. He seemed to think that Brits would have quite an easy time if they tried migrating to the US, regardless of whether that was done via legal means or just by overstaying a tourist visa. He seemed to imply that it would be possible to enter the country then just get on with life, and most people would leave you alone because Brits aren't really treated with much suspicion. I don't know how true that is though. His words, not mine.

If you have a guaranteed steady income for life, I don't think there's much to lose really.

Maybe get the 90 day tourist visa and see how it feels. A quick bit of research tells me you can stay in the US legally for up to a year, which is surely ample time to figure things out.

If I were in your shoes, the one and only thing stopping me would be the legal aspects of staying long term in the US. That issue aside, it sounds like the most amazing adventure waiting to happen. In fact I absolutely want to do similar at some point in my life. Maybe we'll bump into each other on the road someday Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with health is however irrelevant it is now, it will become very relevant especially if you want to go exploring the world.

You do have to factor in if you need medicines and doctors and costs like that.

OK, a totally over the top example but when I was flown back from West Africa in a hospital plane after a boiler explosion on a ship, the cost was in excess of 1 million. Then 60 grand a month in Cheltenham burns unit.

Now obviously I'm not saying something that bad will happen to you but think America, think health insurance, think repercussions if you fall down and break you leg in the middle of nowhere.

At your age you could afford medical insurance for a holiday, for long term insurance I very much doubt it except for the very basic.

Unlike the UK, they want their pound of flesh if they treat you.

One Ball 1971
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Of course it will be. You just pretend you're Syrian or Libyan or something and move from immigrant camp to immigrant camp Laughing

Nah, if I could do it, I think it would have to be the States. So, like I say, probably not possible for me. But it's a discussion I'd like to have anyway. I don't have friends to talk to about it Laughing

You have a whole forum of friends here matey.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted with moving to Canada right now... I'm literally a french test away from entry... unfortunately they don't tend to want retiring parties heading there, otherwise I'd have said move there to Muskoka and enjoy.

Going with the 'age' bit, Florida is a great place to fuck off to, but might be a bit to Yank like.

Go Cyprus. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm talking about a nomadic life.

I wonder if it would be possible to (mostly) live out the back of a Luton van.

Cheaper than an RV and more customisable. eg I would keep a pedal bike, a small motorbike of some sort (potentially a ped Embarassed ), mattress (hammock if it could take my weight Smile ) and cooking stuff.

Would give it a whirl for a month without having done anything too final at home, then adjust / tweak the vehicle, situation, country etc
Perhaps just renting out place at home to bank roll and keep a foot in.

But sometimes the all or nothing balls to the wall commitment means our choices are removed and we have to act Smile

Last edited by Pigeon on 22:39 - 08 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in a touring caravan for over 3 years now, so I have some perspective about what it's like.

First of all, not everything about it is cheap; the rent is sensible and I don't pay council tax, TV licence or water rates, plus my rent includes electricity, so I've never bothered with gas, I just made sure I could do everything electrically.

This was cool until my onboard heater packed up, followed by the fridge; these things are designed for holiday use, not 24/7 365 and as soon as you put "caravan spec" in front of any piece of equipment, it triples the price.

This is important because camp site hook ups typically supply half the current of domestic mains, which means if you use domestic appliances, you have to be careful about what you have on, in case it trips the main circuit breaker.

Replacing my appliances like for like would cost me over £1000, so I got a small fan heater and a table top style fridge (which there is no room for in the van, so I have it my awning, which presents another problem, more of which later) but I can't have everything on - in winter months, when you want to heat, light and cook, you have to decide which is the priority, because doing all of them will trip the breaker; my solution was to change all the bulbs to LED (less draw) and, when I come home from work, 30 mins with the heater to enable me to take my coat off, then shiver a bit while I was cooking.

The "another problem" is that domestic fridges and freezers (I've got one of those too) work in a different way and they really don't like operating in very high or very low temps, both of which you get in awnings - this time of year, I often come home to no electricity and the only things that are left on all day are the fridge and freezer.

In other news, it's 3 steps from my door (next to the bed) to where I sit, passing by the bathroom and through the kitchen and, when I get to the seating area, it's not very comfortable - again, the seating isn't really designed to be 'lived' with on a long term basis.

The shower is substantially more cramped than a telephone box and I have never got used to carrying a container of my own turds to the emptying point twice a week (that costs as well, you need chemicals to break it all down, cheap stuff doesn't really work, you need the expensive gear) plus I don't think I've had a really good sleep in all this time, because the bed is a put you up, not really designed to be lived with - there's a theme here............

Be aware that if a caravan is cramped (there are bigger, better equipped models than mine) then a motorhome is worse, unless you build it yourself or can afford a Winnebago style gin palace, but then you have to run it - think single figure fuel consumption, so regular touring will put a major dent in your income.

This reads like a damning condemnation of caravan life, but I still enjoy the sense of adventure I get from coming home every night (that's very hard to explain) and I'm still very happy that I feel like I'm getting out of the rat race, every time I leave work.

But now I'm thinking I want to move to renting a static - same sort of money, same sense of wellbeing, but more space, proper plumbing, domestic type electricity and I might actually feel like I've walked from the sofa to the bed!

Oh, and I started out with a tourer because I had this notion that, if I fancied a break from my surroundings, I could up sticks and go somewhere else for a couple of weeks - I quite quickly realised that if I wanted a break, I wanted a break from everything, so a hotel would be best Laughing

Edit: Nearly forgot, have a think about the consequences of not having an official postal address and how that might impact your life - it's caused me a few problems.

**Tef mode off**

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What makes you think living in a camper will be cheaper than a rent free house?

My mate lived in a caravan for 2 years. It cost him £400 in pitch fees alone. He did it for the same reasons as you although he had a mortgage to pay. Even if you stealth or wild camp, you’ll need fuel and gas.

This is one reason why I wouldn't bother with this in the UK. In the US it seems to me there is much more opportunity to find places where you don't have to pay anything. The video I posted above also suggests this. I mean, it's a vast land compared to our overcrowded little island. Most of it is pretty empty.

I don't really know about the cost. Yeah, fuel - might be limited in the distances I could travel, as with the younger couple in that vid. But another guy talks about how little you actually need - I'm used to living on the basics, I can do that, I'm doing it now. Other things replace those 'needs' (and if you have a mindset like mine, you really don't need most of it).

Quote:
I built a VW LWB Transporter Shuttle into a full in tin top camper. It has 200w solar hidden out of sight in between the roof bars. In the summer this provides enough power for everything and everything from compressor fridge to tv to laptop adapter is 12V. In the winter though...no chance.

Another reason for going to the States - vast variations in climate depending on where you go and when. But again, affording fuel to actually move around much? Yes, could see that being problematic.

Quote:
Space will be your biggest issue. I use my bus around 15 weekends a year and even in my own, it’s cramped, but well insulated for sound and heat, so I get a good nights sleep in it.

As I said in a previous post, I've tented it for two solid months before, in a tiny backpacker tent. It wouldn't be as bad as that. The space you need is outside. Inside is just shelter from the elephants.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Edit: Nearly forgot, have a think about the consequences of not having an official postal address and how that might impact your life - it's caused me a few problems.

**Tef mode off**

I don't think it would affect me - I don't get any mail now, am not connected with anything or anyone. Ah no, wait... just my income source. Might be able to find a way around that...?

Yes, you make a lot of points, some of which I agree with. But you're also talking about doing it in the UK. I wouldn't bother trying here. Take a look at that video I posted above. Notice the ages of most of those doing it.
What I'm most interested in is the US. That's where I think it might work for me, if it were possible to surmount the problems of going over there permanently - probably wouldn't be anyway, so I suppose this is all hypothetical. But what I do know is right now I'm headed for a crash, with no escape lane visible.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Shaft wrote:

**Tef mode off**

I don't think it would affect me - I don't get any mail now, am not connected with anything or anyone. Ah no, wait... just my income source. Might be able to find a way around that...?

Yes, you make a lot of points, some of which I agree with. But you're also talking about doing it in the UK. I wouldn't bother trying here. Take a look at that video I posted above. Notice the ages of most of those doing it.
What I'm most interested in is the US. That's where I think it might work for me, if it were possible to surmount the problems of going over there permanently - probably wouldn't be anyway, so I suppose this is all hypothetical. But what I do know is right now I'm headed for a crash, with no escape lane visible.

You have a driving licence and passport (which will need renewing at some point) plus connections to HMRC, your bank account and, as you've mentioned, your service pension.

I've got round it by using my Sister's address, so there are ways, but it's aggro and it can go wrong.

As for the US thing, if you can get through passport control with access to enough money to buy and run a decent RV for a while, then go for it.

I think Percy is right, once you're in, it's not so difficult to stay in and your accent will open doors to casual income, but the biggest consideration (especially in your case) is meds.

I would do it in a heartbeat (I've always wanted to emigrate to the US) but my circumstances mean I can't even get through the front door.

I do think that if you go, you probably won't be coming back, so that might be a consideration.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2