Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying bike with no mot insurance and tax

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

maaa242
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:21 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Buying bike with no mot insurance and tax Reply with quote

Hello.
Im just staring my expirience with bikes and looking to buy second hand 125 bike so I can learn and get my full licence next year.
I was looking to buy Honda cbf and they are not bad in price and pretty good to learn on.
I found one which is from 2013 and have only 2500 miles done but guy which is selling it didn't renew mot insurance or tax and bike was not sorn'ed.
Bike looks like theres nothing wrong with it but guy was just not bothered to do any of it.
My question is how difficult it will be to get bike mot'd insured and taxed. Is there gonna be any problems because he didn't do all that and bike was not sorn'ed?
What i should look for when Im gonna look at the bike?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was nothing wrong with the bike have him MOT it, it does not cost much and you know you are getting a bike that is at least road worthy.

Tax is now non transferable so you get tax yourself anyways.

Insurance is piss easy to sort out the usual way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance and tax are reliant on it having an MOT, which it does not

How difficult is it to get the MOT? Well, that depends on if it passes/fails, and what it would fail on

If you have the reg number, check the MOT history to give you an idea of what it might need from previous advisories

I'm always cautious of any 'bargain' advertised as easy/quick fix, because if it was so easy/cheap, why not get it done and sell it for more?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is not reliant on an mot.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Insurance and tax are reliant on it having an MOT, which it does not...

Not strictly speaking true Smile You can't get tax without valid MoT and V5 certificates, fair enough, but you can insure anything you like. Whether they'd pay out is separate matter...

BTW you are perfectly entitled to ride straight to an MoT test centre* without an existing MoT or tax (but you would need insurance as it's illegal to ride without it.) However if it failed the MoT you'd be f*cked as you couldn't ride it back!

<edit> *needs to be a pre-booked MoT appointment.

maaa242
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:39 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it to be fair.
Bloke didn't get mot as he use to use tit to commute and now he's got a car and bike is just sitting in his garage.
When I go to see him today I will get reg plate number and check if he had any failed mot or if its hpi.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the current owner hasn't been arsed to do any of that, might give you an indication as to how he's looked after in the time they've had it, just a thought. Oh, any outstanding finance on the bike, probably not, but worth checking.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he didnt insure, tax nor be bothered to SORN... read this.

Quote:
As a result of the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) regulations, you'll be liable for a fine as a vehicle owner that isn't covered by an insurance policy and hasn't been officially declared off the road by SORN. Under the CIE regulations, it's a legal requirement to have vehicles covered by insurance at all times.

Just because you're not driving the car on the roads doesn't mean you won't get caught. By comparing DVLA vehicle records with those held on the Motor Insurance Database (MID), the authorities are able to identify uninsured cars. Breaking the law by not insuring your car or declaring SORN will cost you.

If you don't declare SORN you'll be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) informing you the vehicle isn't insured. The letter will also tell you that, unless you take action by arranging car insurance, you will face a fine.

If you're found to have not declared SORN, you could face a fixed penalty notice of £100 and you risk your car being clamped, seized or even disposed of. There's an additional possibility you could face prosecution, with a maximum fine of £1,000.

Make sure you don't get lumbered with his fine.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:10 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

maaa242 wrote:
Bike doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it to be fair.

There are things wrong with it because otherwise the seller would get it MOT'ed and sell it for a higher price.

Get the registration before going to look at it so you can check the MOT history and you'll know what advisories the bike got last time it was MOT'ed.

Post a link to the advert and then we can tell you more about the bike.

How old are you?

maaa242
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:44 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 30 but like I said it's my first expirience buying bike and when I bought my car it was new so not really any expirience buying from private seller.

https://www.friday-ad.co.uk/bexhill-on-sea/motorbikes/honda-cbf-2013-17475960/

This is bike I'm looking at

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One massive question from me - why is it so cheap?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I think you may find your insurance will be invalid if you're riding around with no MOT

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same bike also advertised here as a 1.3 litre, 5-door Toyota YARIS. Laughing

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
One massive question from me - why is it so cheap?

Is it? It has no MOT, where as this one has 10 months and similar mileage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBF-125-2013-Only-5-000-miles-great-condition/323847474684?hash=item4b66d04dfc:g:LSoAAOSwoIFdB3qK

It's probably priced about right for a bike that has no MOT and has been stood for a while, but the question remains, if there's nothing wrong with it, why not spend what, £35 on the MOT and ask £1400 for it...

maaa242
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:28 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I can think of why he wouldn't her mot done is that he didn't want to her insurance and tax or get someone to take bike in the van just to get mot done if he wasn't planning to use it

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
its been kept indoors out the weather

Yet has bird shit on the seat and leaves around the stand.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I think you may find your insurance will be invalid if you're riding around with no MOT

I
Third party insurance cannot be retrospectively removed and I've never seen mot in the conditions of my insurance.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yeah lots of people think that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

maaa242
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a bike and guy is selling bike for his uncle as he's got cancer or something like it and one of the reasons why bike was not insured etc and it's sorn'ed.
To be fair bike looks really good.
Kept well no sign of anything wrong with.
Few spots of rust but they are tiny.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

maaa242 wrote:
I've seen a bike and guy is selling bike for his uncle as he's got cancer or something like it and one of the reasons why bike was not insured etc and it's sorn'ed.
To be fair bike looks really good.
Kept well no sign of anything wrong with.
Few spots of rust but they are tiny.

So it's SORN'd, no MOT/tax. Take someone to see it who can recognise the bigger problems, & if it looks OK, buy it.

If it's near you, get insurance, book an MOT and ride it to the MOT, get tax after, when you get home (if it fails its MOT, drive it home i.e. "to the place of repair"). If it's not near you or you don't want to do the above, hire a van (~£50 give or take) and get it home that way.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

maaa242 wrote:
Bloke didn't get mot as he use to use tit to commute and now he's got a car and bike is just sitting in his garage.

maaa242 wrote:

Thinking

Seller needs to get his story straight. Laughing

Personally I'd be wanting to buy a bike from the registered keeper at the address it's registered to rather than from someone at a different address who says they're the sellers nephew.

Is he including the blue bike cover that's in the photos? Laughing I don't believe that it's been kept indoors or garaged.

I'd be interested in the mechanical condition of the bike so that you at least know what needs work for the MOT.

As you're thirty there's no need to wobble around on L plates until next year. If you do decide to go for the 125 option then I'd be looking for one that's got less question marks over it.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 bike with few miles suggests it's been sat a while which isn't a good thing. How old are the tyres? If they're the originals I wouldn't ride on them. Likely to crack the sidewalls within the first mile.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy it because the seller couldn't even be bothered to rotate the photos correctly! GGGGRrrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad Alternatively...

"Well I have to sort out the MoT and then when I tax it I'll probably get a load of shit from the DVLA. It'll need a full service as it's been sat about, probably new tyres too...

"...so how about £500, cash? And throw in the cover."

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole. However, if you insist on pursuing it, get the vrm off the owner and run all the dvla checks to see if this matches the sellers story. Also carry out an HPI check to see if there are any other outstanding financial interests in the bike and also whether its been stolen or a write off. If all in order go and see it with someone who knows what they are looking at and is prepared to be honest and critical about its condition.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No but riding without the MOT will invalidate the insurance unless you can prove you are on the way to the test station.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2