Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nissin 4 pot front brake pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Nissin 4 pot front brake pads Reply with quote

So far I have always used OE pads as they are excellent, but expensive. 60 quid for a front set.

What other brands are good? Must be predictable and smooth in wet and cold weather.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use EBC and find them effective and predictable. Thumbs Up

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two reasons I was told to stay with OE before, which may have been utter bollocks. First is sharp/nothing/unpredictable in wet. Im thinking this is more to do with callipers state of service - has it been stripped and cleaned or the dirt pushed in with the pots.

Second is aggressive pad compounds abrade and eat discs very quickly. So to stay with adherant rather than abraisive pad compounds. Im told ebc are the latter and to avoid.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:22 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use EBC HH pads and my front discs are on 82,000 miles.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are cheap to run, and £60 for a set of pads is eye watering.

EBC HH. Have a look on Wemoto or SBS for the ones you need (make sure you have the code for both F/R and F/L if dual calipers up front as may differ, of which I'm sure you're aware).

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running SBS HH on the Busa and they are great, but the Brembo Reds in the TL are lightyears better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the ebc, sbs and brembo like in the wet and cold winter?
I note that goldfren are significanty cheaper. I am hesitant to but aftermarket, but chances are I wouldnt notice any difference...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I note that goldfren are significanty cheaper. I am hesitant to but aftermarket, but chances are I wouldnt notice any difference...

In my experience EBC HH are just all better overall. Cheaper, better feel, better power, better all weather performance. I wouldn't put anything else on these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a very nice experience with the sintered Brembo SA pads (red) in those very 4 pot Nissin calipers on a ZX7R.

They worked cold, hot, dry and wet, very predictable, not fading.

I'd say any road use pads will do, though. Whatever you choose, you'll be fine. Avoid racing pads, some require you to preheat the brake so it starts to work and some ''racing'' compounds eat away brake discs pretty quickly. *The front brake disc/s is the most expensive consumable part of your brake system.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Brembo SA.

However they are unlikely to be cheaper than your OE ones.

Do you know which brand the OE ones are? I know Honda used to use armstrong pads as standard, not sure if they still do.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oe are Nissin. I got about 20k miles from the last set, but they are not worn evenly and were not rotated.
I will try the ebc, which are 32 for the pair. Brembo sa are 52.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the EBC pads will be just fine. The differences between brake pads are pretty marginal, speaking strictly about open road use. Track days are a completely different story.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissin calipers on the VFR. EBC HH pads, no problems and I ride it in anything short of ice. I do prefer an organic on the back, but I don't like a "grabby" rear brake.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oe are Nissin. I got about 20k miles from the last set, but they are not worn evenly and were not rotated.
I will try the ebc, which are 32 for the pair. Brembo sa are 52.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

I wasn't impressed with goldfren sintered pads when compared to EBC, tokico and brembo. They seem more suited for someone that is highly prioritizing running costs rather than braking performance.

Then again I got mine on ebay so maybe they were fakes.

I ended up swapping them with a friend for some EBC GG pads. I'll be switching to the EBC HH ones when these are done though.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been running nissin 4 pots for the last 4 years or so now and I have to say I think the best pads for fast road riding with them are goldfren AD pads IF you buy them from a reputable source, theres a metric fuckton of fakes on ebay.

My 2nd choice is armstrong HH or brembo SA but I find both of those 2 have less feel than the goldfren ADs, the goldfrens just seem to give much better feedback and I'm more comfortable to progressively load them whereas the brembos always seemed a bit TOO aggressive for my liking.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EBC's appear to be excellent. Ridden in the wet today and they feel good. If they last 20k miles - as long as nissin oe, and without eating the discs, I will be very happy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1