Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to sell a reg plate

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: How to sell a reg plate Reply with quote

The Mrs has got a new car that came with a private reg, its nothing fancy but she would rather put the original reg back on.
I have googled and there seems to be loads of sites offering valuations, anybody know of any legit ones? and how you would go about selling.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: How to sell a reg plate Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
The Mrs has got a new car that came with a private reg, its nothing fancy but she would rather put the original reg back on.

"Private" = personalised, or some other thing?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA sell non-fancy ones for £250 (I think £250).

So it may be worth at least that to someone.

I think a £250 one will be more difficult to find a non-fancy buyer and the agents handling may be significant.

Worth a punt out of interest though.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Regtransfers a few times, so I know they're legit, it is a bit of a lottery though.

They offer you a valuation and, if you're happy, they put it on their website (you don't get anything up front) and it sits there until someone makes an offer, which could be next week, next month or in 10 years.

The whole thing is entirely reliant on somebody searching for your plate, so unless it's a reasonably meaningful set of letters (how many people have the initials ZXA) it could be there forever.

Single digit plates generally sell better, 1 being the best, unless the digits can be read as something, so 14N works for me, as my name is Ian.

Having said that, I had a 1 plate with a reasonable set of initials (middle one was W, which made it more difficult) and that took more than two years to sell.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to read anything, it might just look good (palindromic plates can be nice) but if it's just some generically different thing, like the thousands of Irish plates starting Ixx, you could be sitting on that for a while.

You could also sell it yourself - get a couple of valuations, take a mean average and stick it on Egay, you've probably got just as good a chance of flogging it that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn’t you put it on a retention certificate? That’d get an age related plate generated to replace it on the car and also make stage one of the sale easier - namely convincing someone they want the ‘cherished’ plate as you can advertise it as ‘on retention and ready to transfer’.
I do rather think that the market is limited though and unless it’s a bit special you may struggle to make enough to cover your cost and time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done this. I inherited a car with a private plate. The valuation sites will add it to their listings promising
you huge monies for it but will want a large cut from the proceeds if anyone is daft enough to pay it. To give you
an idea I had P215 DAL on an old Golf of mine valued at 800 odd quid, and that was over a decade ago. Back to the car I
inherited, it was actually a 57 plate but the private plate was an 02 reg so I wasn't keen that it looked older than it was
when it came to time to sell it. You can surrender a private reg back to DVLA (who will add it to their listings again)
for nil pounds if you just want the original number back. If that had been allocated elsewhere you'll get a rendom generic
plate to suit the year of registration. You just have to write to them.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/give-up-private-number

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it? That may help to determine the advise.

All 3 of my vehicles have cherished numbers but only one would be worth trying to re-sell.

To sell, put it on retention and advertise it like anything else. Iirc the DVLA don’t charge an annual fee to keep it on retention anymore and it includes the transfer cost for the next owner (something I find private sites leave out)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Been there done this. I inherited a car with a private plate. The valuation sites will add it to their listings promising
you huge monies for it but will want a large cut from the proceeds if anyone is daft enough to pay it. To give you
an idea I had P215 DAL on an old Golf of mine valued at 800 odd quid, and that was over a decade ago. Back to the car I
inherited, it was actually a 57 plate but the private plate was an 02 reg so I wasn't keen that it looked older than it was
when it came to time to sell it. You can surrender a private reg back to DVLA (who will add it to their listings again)
for nil pounds if you just want the original number back. If that had been allocated elsewhere you'll get a rendom generic
plate to suit the year of registration. You just have to write to them.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/give-up-private-number

I must be disleksick.

P215 DAL

Was it the kids book author's Auld motor?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAL = Dagenham speak for anyone called Darren.

Reg plates containing DAV are usually disproportionately expensive too, sisters ex hubby was a Dave and his plate
cost her a packet despite being quite ordinary except for the DAV bit. I've sold a car with a private plate on. It was
car specific so not much point hanging onto it, bought for bottom money from DOOVLA (250) I just let it go with the car
rather than spend a third of that sum retaining it in the hope I could sell it. I still like short reg numbers the best. The wifes
is a 5 digit one. It's annoying as one of my initials is an I. So I can't get my initials as there's no such thing. Crying or Very sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
DAL = Dagenham speak for anyone called Darren.

Reg plates containing DAV are usually disproportionately expensive too, sisters ex hubby was a Dave and his plate
cost her a packet despite being quite ordinary except for the DAV bit. I've sold a car with a private plate on. It was
car specific so not much point hanging onto it, bought for bottom money from DOOVLA (250) I just let it go with the car
rather than spend a third of that sum retaining it in the hope I could sell it. I still like short reg numbers the best. The wifes
is a 5 digit one. It's annoying as one of my initials is an I. So I can't get my initials as there's no such thing. Crying or Very sad

I got a private plate for one bike. (Dvlarsehole 250 bangers.)

It's not a problem to swap if everything is in order but I got a wee bit of Proctalgia Fugax a few years ago when I traded one big for another. The mot and tax expired on the traded bike by the time I was registering the transfer. The Tobacco Hagg at DVLArsehole refused to swap over as the donor bike was not MoT'd
Cunts.... I told her I'd sold it the week before the tax expired and it was legal then.

Of course the mot was due too.

I had to call the dealer, they let me take the hoowur and mot the bastirt and then sorn it.
The DVLArsehole did the swap.
Win win for the dealer.

I got a plate sort of personal. My mates wife got him one with a movie theme.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for input folks.
The plate ends in AUD, i think the lady who owned it previous may have been an Audrey, suppose we will find out when the logbook comes through.
So basically i'm looking for an Audrey or an audi driver that might want it, she's been looking at a plate to suit us so i dunno, suppose if we could get the same as a new plate would cost that would suit her.
I did assume the sites would put an massive number on it, never thought about fleabay Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
Thanks for input folks.
The plate ends in AUD, i think the lady who owned it previous may have been an Audrey, suppose we will find out when the logbook comes through.
So basically i'm looking for an Audrey or an audi driver that might want it, she's been looking at a plate to suit us so i dunno, suppose if we could get the same as a new plate would cost that would suit her.
I did assume the sites would put an massive number on it, never thought about fleabay Thumbs Up

Or an Aud fellow?

I'll not take my coat off, I'd love to stay but there's my bus. Embarassed

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lovely next door neighbour is called Audrey. It's her 90th this year. True story.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My lovely next door neighbour is called Audrey. It's her 90th this year. True story.

Sounds like she's at about the right age to start feeding up her pet garden-rats.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

If you get her AUD for a number plate she'll probably let you pump her. :win

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Sounds like she's at about the right age to start feeding up her pet garden-rats.

She's as sharp as a tack mate. The poor old girls body is giving up one bit at a time but she's completely on the
ball and is far friom losing the plot. She has to lip read now, deaf as a post. Good job as I have been smashing
concrete out in my back garden with a road breaker all day today. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1