Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX9R carb balancing (and leaking)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: ZX9R carb balancing (and leaking) Reply with quote

While working on the ninja at the weekend I decided I was going to balance the carbs (having done a few sets in the past).

The only awkward(ish) bike was the CBR because I had to buy a set of carb sync adapters and some rubber hose.

I looked at the bottom of the carb for a place to attach my manometer and there were hoses everywhere, I then looked on the engine and found 2 hoses and 2 holes blocked off about 1cm away from the intake manifolds, I'm used to seeing 3 blocked off and 1 vacuum line on all the other bikes I've worked on.... so could someone tell me where the hell I attach the manometer and adapter sizes (if required).

Also when I had the airbox off, (tried to balance them with the temperature from the downpipes with a laser thermometer), after I switched the engine off I noticed petrol was flooding in to three of the carbs like.... best description I can think of is like shallow breathing.

Last time I stripped the carbs down the needles looked fine, but I've read that the needle seats can get a bit manky and a way to clean them is to attach a cotton bud to a dremel, dip it in to some metal polish, and polish them up to a mirror finish and that might sort the problem, has anyone tried this and had a decent result?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:58 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZX9R did something similar. It needed new emulsion tubes. The needles had made them hole in the middle go egg shaped and it would flood at low rpm. Seemed ok otherwise. New tubes fixed it. And i think i replaced the needle vales too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1