Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fire extinguisher?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Fire extinguisher? Reply with quote

I can't find the answer so apologies if already covered.

My bike is in lockdown in what's basically a small workshop/larger shed. Brick walls, wooden roof, benching, small workshop machinery nearby etc.
I don't have a fire extinguisher in there and know about the various types available.
Does anyone recommend a particular type, size, make which they use for their own bike storage areas?
I rarely start the engine indoors. It has fuel etc. My concern is should it burst into flames I'd not get it out fast due to the amount of security involved during storage in there. Better to nip a fire out quickly so to speak.

Anyone??

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:31 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguisher? Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
My concern is should it burst into flames

Any particular reason you're concerned that it might spontaneously combust?

I hope you've not been buying flowers from the same place that Bristol bikelife bought (or stole) flowers from. Shocked

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah no real reason.
Yes I follow as per manual with disconnection of things (battery etc) but I dunno - petrol has a habit of creating fumes and thus a route back to the source of them. It just takes a small spark to ignite petrol fumes and it's too late. Could be taking a fuel line off when removing the tank for example. The tank will be off during the Winter at some point because I need to check valve shims and other bits. The tank has two taps (one each side) which means twice the spillage if it erm.. spills.

Mind you, I suppose a large wet blanket might work like it does on a chip pan..

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder covers most eventualities including electrical. I put one plus a fire blanket in my rental places kitchens despite having
no regulation to say I have to do so. Better to be safe than sorry IMO. I'm quite oversensitive to this as my mums house was
in a serious fire some years ago where the fridge was the cause.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Powder covers most eventualities including electrical. I put one plus a fire blanket in my rental places kitchens despite having
no regulation to say I have to do so. Better to be safe than sorry IMO. I'm quite oversensitive to this as my mums house was
in a serious fire some years ago where the fridge was the cause.

^^^ Wot he said ^^^

Dry powder can be used on all fires. Good knock down. Minimum rating 8A 55B, the 8A 34B or even 5A 21B (screwfix) you can get are not worth the airspace they occupy.

If you don't want the mess, CO2 is good for knocking down a fire and can be used on electrics but has no 'stay down' capacity, if the area is hot enough it will reignite once air can get back to the heat source.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can get an automatic dry powder one that you can hang from the ceiling. That would get around the problem of getting to get past your security in the event of a fire.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguisher? Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
My bike is in lockdown in what's basically a small workshop/larger shed. Brick walls, wooden roof, benching, small workshop machinery nearby etc.
I don't have a fire extinguisher in there and know about the various types available.
Does anyone recommend a particular type, size, make which they use for their own bike storage areas?

How small a workshop?

Consider:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-xtr-foam-fire-extinguisher-2ltr/7697f#product_additional_details_container

Possibly the larger:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-xtr-foam-fire-extinguisher-3ltr/5850f#product_additional_details_container

https://www.firesafetystore.co.uk/fire-extinguishers/fire-extinguishers-by-brand/firechief-fire-extinguishers-en/firechief-xtr-3-litre-afff-foam-fire-extinguisher/ (same a bit cheaper)

Edit again: Choose a foam extinguisher.

Don't buy a powder one for your workshop, since you might not be able to see where you're going after using it, and the powder can be bad for your stuff, and cause breathing difficulties. Water may be OK if your fire isn't (yet) a "petrol" one. A bucket of dry sand doesn't take much space...

Edit: Do look at information on how to use your extinguisher, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQckBXM6o-I

Edit: Your wet blanket (or fire blanket) is helpful only if you can apply it to the fire and pin down the edges to stpo air getting in.

Triumph1300
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my garage, I have a co2, foam, and powder!

All the big ones as seen at shopping centres, work etc.

All bought off e bay, all 3 coming from building site closedowns etc.

Dependent on the type, look up the checking requirements, and you can make sure there ok, either by the gauge, or weight check
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input. I hadn't realised that for an extinguisher there are different levels of usefulness - awesome help that.

Workshop is narrow but long - say about 8 feet by 20 feet. Quite awkward for working on things but better than getting wet. It has a serious amount of leccy available which powers various electric welders (I only weld outside/never near a bike) but no water supply. I suppose I could crack open a bottle of shielding gas CO2 and walk away but as said it has no staydown power.

I once worked in warehousing and did a full weekend firefighting course with the fire service. They did full instructions and allowed us unlimited use of devices. I can still remember the static electricity shocks when using the powder extinguishers!
I did think powder with foam a possible second. If powder ruins tools etc then fair enough because it's better than losing a shed or house.

I'd never considered an extinguisher until today to be honest and think better safe than sorry.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:21 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of powder extinguisher and fire blanket on Amazon. It wasn't very expensive.

The important thing is to make sure you have them accessible. Mine came with a bracket, they are mounted on the wall next to the door. When you do get one, first job is to fit the bracket and mount the thing, or you'll never get round to it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Workshop is narrow but long - say about 8 feet by 20 feet.

Single car garage size, then. Useful. If you're really thinking of making a blaze you could go up to https://www.firesafetystore.co.uk/fire-extinguishers/fire-extinguishers-by-brand/firechief-fire-extinguishers-en/firechief-xtr-6-litre-afff-foam-fire-extinguisher/ , the cost difference isn't great.

Sister Sledge wrote:
I once worked in warehousing and did a full weekend firefighting course with the fire service.

Very good! I reckon most people just get an extinguisher and think "Oh, you just spray stuff at the fire", and then get a nasty surprise, like people opening car bonnets to put out engine compartment fires....

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey they're much cheaper than I'd thought. I was expecting £80! At that price I might get one or two for inside the house.

There's always floor clutter so a bracket mount makes things far easier and there's a small wall which sticks out near a main door into it - ideal for that bracket. A good idea because it's also at a good height to lift off and be usable from that position.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted. Cheers everyone for the input. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1