Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Lambretta Rider! Advice on Licence Please!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:47 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: New Lambretta Rider! Advice on Licence Please! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my name is Stacy, I have loved Lambrettas and the Mod scene since I was 14. Finally, after 22 years of attending events, idolising the scooters and of course LOVING the associated music I obtained my CBT certificate yesterday and have ordered my first ever scooter!

As a total novice, the CBT was a tough day (7 hours in total), never ridden before, don't drive a car and until now have been a dedicated push bike rider, a mixture of determination and tenacity got me through it even though at one point I lost concentration, balance and bumped up a grass verge on the road ride (I thought I'd be sent home....) my instructor was lovely and as soon as I told him what I thought I should have done he simply said I was there to learn, I won't be the first and won't be the last. It put a dampener on the day a little but now I'm completing the paperwork on my new Lambretta V50 Special and I'm psyched to be able to finally ride!

I do need to get some experience before going for my test I know this, but a little confused by the procedure - I know theory first but in terms of practical (I don't ever envisage myself buying a scooter more powerful than 125cc) - do I need to do the AM test THEN the A1? I have read comments stating the A1 is pointless.... I may wish to go up to 125cc after a few years on the 50cc but as mentioned no desire to go above this.

All help generously received!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Don't kick yourself for making mistakes, kick yourself for repeating mistakes Wink

I dropped the bike during my Mod 1 training... whilst stationary, don't sweat it!

I have a friend of mine heavily into the mod scene and he rides around on a 125 scooter... and he's still not done the full licence! And he's 10 years older than me!!!

I don't recommend that path BTW. We were chatting about licences though and I totally understand for the type of scooters you're into the A2 and A licences would seem a little pointless so fair enough if you just want to go for an A1. Cost-wise you'd probably end up shelling out the exact same money whatever you went for so if you think you might, at some point, be tempted by bigger bikes maybe consider the full licence... only if you're up for the challenge though Smile

With regards to the levels - AM, A1, A2, A - there's no relevance past a certain age (25 I think) so you can jump right into whatever level you like with Direct Access (versus the Progressive Access kids have to go through.) Again, bear in mind if you want to "upgrade" later you'll end up doing the practical test parts again for the higher level.

Certainly you don't need to do AM before A1, yay!

Your CBT certificate is valid for two years. Take your time enjoying the scooter with the L plates and when you're really happy start planing for the test.

Some people like to get it all done ASAP but that's usually 'cos they're hungry for some 650cc race bike. Personally I would recommend taking it ultra casual. Do the theory test... pass... then book the Mod 1... pass then book the Mod 2. The whole process might stretch out over 3 months or more but you won't feel under pointless pressure to pass something 'cos you've got the next bit booked right after.

Two years... plenty of time: relax, enjoy!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mr Hardly said Thumbs Up

So you now have a 50cc scooter? You are going to find that a bit of a struggle after a while as it is not quick.
A good start if you’ve never ridden before , however car drivers will be dickheads when you are out on the road on your scoot.

When you’re ready , a 125cc scoot would be a safer and more enjoyable option.

Progress at your own pace Thumbs Up

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:43 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies.

Must admit logging on this morning to such a thoughtful reply from Mr Hardly was very humbling - thank you for your advice, and I'm glad I now understand which route to take. I am considering some tuition before taking the Mod 1 and 2, I think as a total novice it would benefit me to be able to practice under supervision while I get used to the scooter.

Regarding the 50cc, the bike I used at the test centre was a Honda (don't know the specific model) and it was pretty nippy, I don't plan on using my scooter for much more than my daily commute (3 miles in total) visiting family (about a 10 mile round trip) and standard trips to the shops etc(possibly rallies once I get better)... Yes car drivers can be idiots, I saw that on my road ride on Saturday but I guess it's all about confidence and defining your place on the road, my instructor advised me not to be bullied, I pay road tax now (as a cyclist I didn't - obviously... this I think is part of the reason cyclists are so despised by car drivers!) so I have as much right to be there as them. That said, I fully get your point but the 125cc option is far in the future for me right now, need to master the basics then maybe once I've done that I will upgrade and start travelling further. At the moment as a non-car driver it's actually an exciting prospect being able to visit my family without having to ask my long suffering car-driving other half to take me there (and in turn endure his in-laws... haha) or thinking to myself I have a 10 mile bike ride ahead of me at the end of a 45 hour week at work!

I'm feeling good, just a bit nervous. Your comments have helped! Thanks folks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:23 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most have said, practice. The more you practice the more confident you will become.

Most importantly, enjoy it.

If you ride dual carriageways regularly then a 50cc will be very slow and can put you in unnecessary danger, a 125cc will make those roads much more bearable. I would try to avoid 60mph dual carriageways if I were you.

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride dual carriageways regularly then a 50cc will be very slow and can put you in unnecessary danger, a 125cc will make those roads much more bearable. I would try to avoid 60mph dual carriageways if I were you.[/quote]

I was a little surprised we went on one of these on the CBT road ride to be honest and really, I felt a little bit wary, the other lady doing the course on a scooter got some real hassle from a cab driver - our instructor had to pull up beside him and ask what his problem was....
I don’t plan on using busy roads, I’m lucky as where I live it’s mainly little back roads and one bypass but this can be avoided by going through the town centre which is no big ordeal for me.

Thanks!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1