BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50cc 2T more power needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:07 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: 50cc 2T more power needed Reply with quote

Hi guys after some advice here if possible please.

My work sometimes requires me to move vehicles around the local area and I often get stuck at the other end without a lift back. We live and operate rurally so public transport is virtually non-existent. I've bought a Di Blasi fold-up scooter which is awesome, was worth the money just for the comedy value alone, goes in the boot of any car and light enough to lift at just over 30kg. Perfect solution!

However some of the roads I have to use it on are 70mph dual carriageways. Some extra power would be handy. Currently getting about 30mph. Obviously I'm not expecting to get like 60mph out of it but another 5 or 10mph wouldn't go a miss! I have a full bike licence.

I've searched for Di Blasi specific big bore kits but having no joy. I don't mind spending a bit of money on it, is there anything I can do with this so get more oomph out of it? Happy to send the bore/piston away if they can be enlarged or whatever and carb rejetted if possible? I'm not overly mechanically-minded so would need to have someone else do the work but happy to pay for it.

Please help x

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:13 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just by a 125 monkey bike?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently same as the AV7 big bore kits - so can go to 74cc.

Will need to rejet and piss about with the variator to get the best out of it though.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about these.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why not just by a 125 monkey bike?

I wish! I looked at these and also the Grom but I don't think I can lift one of these at around 100kg and even if I could, it wouldn't fin in the boot of an average hatchback would it?

Bearing in mind it has to be road legal, registered, taxed, insured, MOT'd etc. so would have to be of a certain spec. I was looking at the 2018 Honda Monkey and the predecessor Grom as these are road legal. I know you can get smaller toy monkey bikes but don't think these can be made road legal?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:34 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Apparently same as the AV7 big bore kits - so can go to 74cc.

Will need to rejet and piss about with the variator to get the best out of it though.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about these.

That's valuable info, thank you x

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fold up scooter is road legal? Really?!

It looks like a similar engine to the 2-stroke push-bike conversion I did. You might want to seek parts and information in that area.

IIRC the main gains would be rebarrel to 80cc, a decent exhaust, traditional 2-stroke port fettling, boost bottle and racing carb... oh, and don't forget the basics: drop some teeth off the rear sprocket (or add some to the front one) and you'll get more speed at the cost of less torque.

If all else fails...

NITRO Twisted Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrNwRRcriY&t
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

look here

https://di-blasi-r7-tuning.de/zylinderkitdiblasir7.html

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:00 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power is force x speed. Faster you go, more wind resistance you get, so you need more poser still, its sort of an expomemtial, and for typical bike & person shaped vehicle like a motorbike, you need aprox 3bhp to go 30mph. 6bhp will get you to about 50, ie 2x the power but not 2x the speed; 9bhp, will nudge 60, so 3x the power for 2x the speed. 12 bhp gets you to about 70mph; 24 about 90mph, and then it starts to get daft, and 30 bhp just about gets you nucging 100, but to go faster still? 120 needs about 90 bhp, and you have a ramp that sort of suggests that each time you try dounle the speed you need tripple the power...
And even id you can make the power... you need the gearing to get the speed....
A-N-D we are talking about a moped motor....
When I was 16, long long ago in a galexy not too far away... I renovated a Yamnahga DT50E and my Grandad got a bit interested in 'tuning' the thing, diginng a cottonn bouind book calle tuning the 3T for speed, full of pictures of villiers lawn-mower motors and BSA bantam engines, out the loft.... getting over exited about 'primary compression', and filling the crank cases with ali loaded araldite, we di get the thing typ to almost 60 mph over a measued 1/2 mile,before it blew its crank seals out, leaving ME to push the fecker home, and Pops to make some seal stays and ponder the porting!
I did discover MUCH later he had ideas for the gearbox, to use on his lathe, and HOPED that I'd blow the thing up so he could have it.. but thats another yarn!
Point is, even going big-bore you are NOT really into the teritory of big power, and even 50mph on an air-cooled 50 motor would be an achievement, likely to be short lived!
And you STILL meed to match the geaaring to get the mph....
On which basis, my advice is better to leave it stock and gt back slowly, than have it go poip and leave you a long walk and hard push.....
Think about it, the LSR for a 50cc 2 wheeler, and thats a super-tuned streamliner, is still less thanb 100mph... trying to tune an air-cooled mini-bie motor, its like VW beetles.. huge claims are made cos they make so little to start with, but even the best of them dont actually make all that much power relecively....
And duel cariageways? Thr audi-cochs will still be tryomh to cruise at 2mp under insta-ban speeds up your chuff regardless... at least at 25mph it wont hurt too much if you jump off into the hedge top doidge one!!! It would hurt a lot more than 2x as much if you could make it go 50, and youd still not stay ahead of an Audi enema!!!
Personally, If me I'd refuse to move veghickle unless a 2nd person gave me lift back.... Do you get paid enough for this kind of shit? And what about insurance?: Do you have cover for work use to start with? How much will that go up if you declare tuning mods? And will workpay it?
Make then give you a lift or pay for a taxi, thats likely cheaper, safer and FAR more comfy, I say.... leave faffince with, moped motors to 16 yer-olds and the clinically derranged!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up Tef.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter answer: if you double the power don't expect double the speed!

I rebuilt my ebike from 500W to 1500W - triple the power! - but that only got me from ~20mph to 30. So 300% power increase = 50% speed increase, YMMV obviously.

At best I would guess you might double the power output of that little 2-stroke. I reckon it'd top out at 35 if it's doing 30 now Sad

Completely left field suggestion: buy a car with one of those trailers with the front wheel thingies... like wot the AA/RAC use to tow your car if it's kaput.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Weighing in at 32KG’s it should push 40mph surely?
How much did an unrestricted FS1E push out and weigh? They were good for 50mph.

FS1-E I think was 4.7 hp and as you say 50-55mph on the flat with a 91/2 stone teen flat on the tank holding on to the fork leg. Realistically if you can get a genuine 40-45 out of it reliably you'll be doing well.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that it's a waste of time to mess with that tiny folding scooter, and that the engine isn't a tunable one. I've got some experience of just crap engines.

Ever wondered why people say not to tune weak poor breathing motors like the Peugeot speedfight 100? It's because they are either a poor design, something already pushed to the limit, or because they can't handle extra power well. I spent £600 on a 100cc Peugeot and got 4extra bhp out of it and 10mph when it ran right which was never really.

Don't waste your time and money, and buy a decent Monkey bike that'll fit into a car boot. You can probably fit a Honda MSX in the average estate car without taking anything other than the mirrors off.

If your scooter was a proper one with more brakes and better suspension than it needs, and it had a really tunable engine like the Minarelli AM6 then I'd say go for it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:33 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
That fold up scooter is road legal? Really?!

IIRC the main gains would be rebarrel to 80cc, a decent exhaust, traditional 2-stroke port fettling, boost bottle and racing carb... oh, and don't forget the basics: drop some teeth off the rear sprocket (or add some to the front one) and you'll get more speed at the cost of less torque.

If all else fails...

NITRO Twisted Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrNwRRcriY&t

Yep. Road legal. Really really! It has a proper registration plate and everything. Needs tax, insurance and MOT just like any other bike.

Suggestions for modifications noted and will be looked into, that's really helpful thank you, however there's no sprockets to play with Sad besides I'd be loathed to sacrifice torque in favour of top speed as it's pretty hilly round here, I'd be more in favour of leaving it standard or if anything going the other way.

Nitrous oxide is very tempting however I want to actually get to my destinations without breaking the engine in the first 60 seconds LOL

mpd72 wrote:
I’m not sure the handling and brakes will be up to much over 30mph though. Looking at the engine and pipe, I doubt it’s restricted, so a bore kit will be the best option if you’ve got the balls to do 45 mph on it! Smile

The 74cc kits are only £60, but up the carb main jet to match or it’ll seize.

Again, very helpful, thank you. I didn't realise that running lean would seize an engine. Is it because it runs too hot? Strange because you would have thought the opposite would be true and running rich would cause an engine to run hot... That's an invitation to educate me!

WD Forte wrote:

Awesome, thank you! There's nothing I can see about where to actually get the parts from though so I'll see if I can make contact with the website owner by email to point me in the direction to source the parts.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Something about not expecting to get double top speed if the power is doubled

Yes I do understand the principal of an ever increasing curve into infinity when it comes to power/top speed due to drag. I did hint that I wasn't looking to get massive power gains, I would be more than happy with an extra 5 or 10 mph. In which case I would be hopeful that reliability shouldn't be affected too severely especially as it's not as if I use it for prolonged periods of time on a daily basis. Average is probably about once a week for 15 minutes at a time. If, in time, it needs a rebuild, then I guess it needs a rebuild, c'est la vie, I can live with that.

I'm self-employed so no, work isn't gong to pay for it. Or to put it another way, work IS going to pay for it. Whichever way you look at it it's going to come out of the same pot eventually (my back pocket).

That's a good point about the insurance though. It's currently insured for business use, I get an ok price because the policy is for less than 500 miles per year total (private and business combined). It's kinda a bespoke policy though as the insurance company had never heard of the bike before and didn't have it on their database so I had to give them all the details about it (engine cc displacement, colour, fuel type, auto/manual etc.) so it's kinda like a policy you'd get for a custom-built bike or trike or a kit car or something like that so I doubt they'd mind too much but yeah, definitely worth investigating the potential premium increase before actually doing any modifications.

garth wrote:
Shut up Tef.

Be nice!

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Completely left field suggestion: buy a car with one of those trailers with the front wheel thingies... like wot the AA/RAC use to tow your car if it's kaput.

Too much arsing around, coupling up heavy loads, strapping the wheels down to the trailer with ratchet straps, sounds like serious agg to me plus it would mean every car I move has to have a tow bar fitted. My Di Blasi is a perfect solution as it's light, portable and will fit in the boot of any car, can take it on the train etc. take it anywhere and you've got instant transportation. I wouldn't swap it for anything if only for the comedy value and the smiles, laughs and funny looks I get while I'm riding it plus it invites a lot of intrigued members of the general pubic for a chit chat.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy S wrote:
...Too much arsing around, coupling up heavy loads, strapping the wheels down to the trailer with ratchet straps, sounds like serious agg to me plus it would mean every car I move has to have a tow bar fitted. My Di Blasi is a perfect solution as it's light, portable and will fit in the boot of any car, can take it on the train etc. take it anywhere and you've got instant transportation. I wouldn't swap it for anything if only for the comedy value and the smiles, laughs and funny looks I get while I'm riding it plus it invites a lot of intrigued members of the general pubic for a chit chat.

Well just a thought Smile I'd love to take a look at the motor if you're ever in SW London Wink

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure next time I have to visit a client up that way I'll hit you up.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:27 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I personally think that it's a waste of time to mess with that tiny folding scooter, and that the engine isn't a tunable one. I've got some experience of just crap engines.

Ever wondered why people say not to tune weak poor breathing motors like the Peugeot speedfight 100? It's because they are either a poor design, something already pushed to the limit, or because they can't handle extra power well. I spent £600 on a 100cc Peugeot and got 4extra bhp out of it and 10mph when it ran right which was never really.

Don't waste your time and money, and buy a decent Monkey bike that'll fit into a car boot. You can probably fit a Honda MSX in the average estate car without taking anything other than the mirrors off.

If your scooter was a proper one with more brakes and better suspension than it needs, and it had a really tunable engine like the Minarelli AM6 then I'd say go for it though.

I'd LOVE something like that but I have to be realistic, at just over 100kg dry I've got no chance of getting that in the boot on my own even if it will physically fit, which as you say would need to be an estate car or bigger, hatchbacks got no chance. And even if I did get it in it would probably be on its side and leaking petrol everywhere. These scooters fold into something the size of a small(ish) suit case but the fuel tank remains upright so no spillages in transit.

Would it be feasible to replace the whole motor?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be some clues here if you read carefully:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3776786

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:48 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
May be some clues here if you read carefully:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3776786

Pointing towards the AV7 cylinder again. Seems like a viable way forward. Parts are inexpensive so might just be worth buying them up and thrusting it in front of a motorbike mechanic and say "what do you make of this?".

I'll keep you posted...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to be sorry you ever took the engine apart.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 00:26 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Yeah probably!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy S wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Yeah probably!

I'm being realistic here. Even if you let a professional do it, it won't be cheap and the results might not be what you were looking for. A short burst of power and fun redeemed by short service intervals and perhaps frequent engine rebuilds.

By the way

Lucy S wrote:
I didn't realise that running lean would seize an engine. Is it because it runs too hot? Strange because you would have thought the opposite would be true and running rich would cause an engine to run hot... That's an invitation to educate me!

The fuel cools down the head, rich = cool, lean = hot. However, rich mixture does wash out the protective film of oil on the cylinder wall, causing increased friction and therefor accelerated wear of the cylinder and the piston rings. Rich mixture also doesn't do any good for the spark plug.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy S wrote:
however there's no sprockets to play with Sad besides I'd be loathed to sacrifice torque in favour of top speed as it's pretty hilly round here, I'd be more in favour of leaving it standard or if anything going the other way.

If max power is at say 6000 rpm and gearing equates that to say 35mph, then it dont really matter how much extra power you find, it will still peak at 6K rpm and 35mph, you'll just be using a tad less throttle when you get there...

Scientifically, POWER = Cylinder pressure X Cylinder displacement X crank RPM's.

So in practice you will rarely get more power just from extra cc's or just a bigger, higher pressure bang, you get a bit from each and most often mostly from more RPM's... 2hich also help you go faster.. but ,not a lot...

Assuming it is a pretty modest tunes 2T with peak power at about 6K and 35mph... an extra 10 or 15 mph, is about 30-40% more speed... to get that on the stock gears would beg pushing peak power up to perhaps 8-10,ooo rpm.... good gayme, good gayme.... or in other words you would HAVE to tackle the gearing issue as well as power pron to get even the littls you say you want.....

Talon Spockets in Coventry.... I think its an asian carpet shop now... but in years past they boasted they would make ANY tooth sprocket set for any hub/output shaft, especially for 'Specials'. Mostly I recall grass-traacl amd trials as well as chops and stuff... If no after-market alt sizings listed I'd check if they are still trading, or who has picked up their trade in Back-street-Heroes, 100% Biker, T&MX News, etc. If a narow guage mini-moto chain, there will likely still be specialists that will offer alt cogs, likewise if a fan-bely or variator skootah drive....

This is not a stoppa, and is just as much an imperative to sort as tuning the barrel, if not more so, and needs a solution identifying vefore you start.

BUT... even if its coming out of your own pocket.... on the business plan cost analysis... I would especially for just 'occasional' use bet that the price of taxi fares comes in the cheapest.. so is there a business case to do this at all, or is it just your interests and aspirations colliding?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but it looks to be belt driven from the photos?

But yes... going from 49cc to 72cc on my scooter build did nothing for the top speed but it was noticeably more torquey Smile (Got it >40mph taking off the RPM restriction.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1