Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fiddling with fork internals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Fiddling with fork internals Reply with quote

I'm playing lego with my forks... I'm also getting my brain tied in knots.

Just to confirm, with a cartridge fork, it's the cartridge that determines the fork length and travel? (within reason, assuming the fork itself isn't bottoming out or topping out against the bushes).

TL;DR at the end:

Basically, I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my VFR750. It's got showa cartridge forks but they are entirely non-adjustable. I also have a set of VTR1000 firestorm forks which have showa cartridges but these have adjustable damping. I'm putting the firestrom cartridges into the VFR forks.

Now the VFR cartridge is considerably longer than the firestrom one (a good 25-30mm) but I also have that much fork sticking up through the yoke so I can adjust the ride height back to what I normally use again.

I have actually done all this and fitted them, I'm just doubting myself because it seems saggy as fuck. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm used to having custom linear springs and the firestorm cartridge has standard ones (which weren't exactly renowned for their taughness at the best of times). I'm just after a sanity check before I push the button on a set of linear firestorm springs (calculated at roughly double the standard spring rate for my lardy arse).

...Why don't I just fit the firestrorm forks whole? I could but my pretec 6-pot callipers won't fit them.

TL;DR

If I put a shorter cartridge into a set of forks, the overall LENGTH of the forks will be shortened but the suspension travel/behaviour will be broadly the same as whatever bike the cartridge was out of?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1