Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motocross style armour for road use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Motocross style armour for road use Reply with quote

Not sure if this has come up before or not, but what's your thoughts regarding wearing that motocross armour or similar underneath a hoodie for instance? Seen some of it which covers fully down the arm, but wondering if it would hold up if you came off on a road for instance.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno really, give it a wizz and fall off on tarmac with a hoodie and a 'Vest' at 50mph a and post a video clip, be interested.

OGR.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do this when green laning, not very practical. With no mirrors and shoulder pads up above my ears, I got very nervous, on roundabouts especially. Also, ogr has a point, sliding 200m down a road wouldn't be nice. Weigh up the risks and make a choice.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see foam armour being safe on tarmac. Yes for the initial impact but the following grinding will soon go through it.

I was in J&S the other day and spotted hoodies and casual jackets with actual armour built in. I'm the same as you and fancied the idea (fashion..) but nothing would fit my large muscular build.
I'm just going to stay with my textile jacket until the moths have eaten it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fave jacket at the mo is waxed cotton with D30 armour. Do I think it will do me much good if I come off at 100plus.
No, not really. But it looks cool as F. As a general rule I don't worry too much about what might happen. I just wear
an amount of reasonable quality kit and cross my fingers. When they bring out a jacket that can soak up the impact of
hitting a lampost at 60mph, leaving the wearer unharmed.... I'll go buy one.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:04 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example of typical motocross upper body armour: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motocross-Motorcycle-Mountain-Snowboarding-Protector/dp/B00MW8T9TG/

Armour protects you against an impact, the mesh fabric which holds it all together will fall apart very quickly if you're sliding down a road.

The best answer is not to fall off in the first place.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more for protection if you whack a rock or tree trunk, the plastic bits are held in place by something akin to ladies tights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering buying one of these

https://boydsofbedford.com/products/knoxurbaneproshirt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 24 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Kevlar undershirt that will take ce armour, and then wear whatever you want on top.
It won't provide as much protection as a set of full leathers, but it seems a better compromise than waxed cotton or nylon mesh.

The ones I've seen with decent reviews are a bit pricey, which is probably why they don't seem overly popular.

EDIT: Similar to posted above, although looking at that one I don't see any mention of Kevlar or aramid fibres which does make me wonder how abrasion resistant it really is.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motocross style armour for road use Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
wearing that motocross armour or similar underneath a hoodie

A Kevlar lined hoodie?
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:58 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like https://www.weiseclothing.com/product/weise/textile_jackets/whste14/?c=921
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!
I'll have to travel into Middlesbrough (shudders) to see one but will do if passing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1