Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the same tax on aviation fuel as they do on petrol... sorted Smile

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:37 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleugh!!

Nearly drowned on my way home from work tonight, I was soaking wet right through my waterproofs.

At thought about stopping at one point, I could hardly see because the rain was so heavy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:25 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
It surprises me that the earth has such stable temperatures really. When you consider how much closer the Sahara is to the sun than the UK is, and the temp there is so much higher.
However Solar flares can be much greater than that distance (I'm not sure if they even track such small occurrences) but when one is aimed towards us the temp doesn't suddenly become 200c.
If it did I'd definately get a home aircon unit...

Distance has literally nothing to do with why the Sahara is hotter than the UK. It's all about surface area vs the light from the sun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: This weather is getting ridiculous Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I've actually put my bike away now - I'm just cooking when I try and ride it, probably bearable if I lived/worked in the sticks, but trying to commute through Manchester in these temperatures . . . urgh. I can see why so many decide to ride in shorts and t-shirt (although I still think they're cockwombles for doing so).

On the other hand, the thunderstorms on Tuesday night were incredible (never seen so much lightning in quick succession) . . . might be more of the same later with any luck!

Sounds just like Florida, put a Disney in Torquay and think of all the planetary goodness that could be had in saved plane flights, the only difference would be more mingers in bikinis. Laughing

We had over a 1000 lightning strikes registered in this area in one storm last week, not so much fun when they are hitting the neighbour's outbuildings, 25m from the kitchen door or taking out the cable box by the front gate!

Oddly enough we have exceeded the expected rainfall amounts from January to present day by over 10" this year and yet we haven't had the usual daily afternoon rainstorms - currently day three without any rain and it's a tad warm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good thunderstorm. It's the nasty little low pressure systems that I don't like. They leave me feeling crushed, somewhat counter-intuitively.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweating like the 'proverbial' today. Just moved to Dalian, 33 degrees, real feel of 40 degrees. Sad

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Distance has literally nothing to do with why the Sahara is hotter than the UK.

Really... Nothing at all...
So is an acre a different size area in the Sahara than the UK?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant beat sat in the car with Air Con going full blast Very Happy

Stuff global climate change/warming/cooling. Or what ever they decide to call it today to suit their needs.

Was funny to see a interview with a guy from the Met office on TV. He carefully avoided when questioned any link to global whatever it is. Just that it was normal weather pattern we see when we get to summer.
Hot weather always leads to heavy storms Rolling Eyes Embarassed

But of course makes for good news.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Cant beat sat in the car with Air Con going full blast Very Happy

Stuff global climate change/warming/cooling. Or what ever they decide to call it today to suit their needs.

Was funny to see a interview with a guy from the Met office on TV. He carefully avoided when questioned any link to global whatever it is. Just that it was normal weather pattern we see when we get to summer.
Hot weather always leads to heavy storms Rolling Eyes Embarassed

But of course makes for good news.

Indeed. Here it has been pretty much "two nice days and a thunderstorm".
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Distance has literally nothing to do with why the Sahara is hotter than the UK.

Really... Nothing at all...
So is an acre a different size area in the Sahara than the UK?

First let us denote the solar radiative flux at the top of the planets atmosphere by So (for solar constant) and the albedo of the planet by a. Then let us figure out the total amount of radiation absorbed by the planet. To overcome the difficulty posed by the fact that the planets are spherical and their surface tilts with respect to the incoming radiation, note that the amount distributed over the sphere is equal the amount that would be collected on the planets surface if it was a disk (with the same radius as the sphere), placed perpendicular to the sunlight. If the planet's radius is R the area of that disk is πR2. Thus:

heat absorbed by planet = (1 - a) πR2So

The total heat radiated from the planet is equal to the energy flux implied by its temperature, Te(from the Stefan-Boltzman law) times the entire surface of the planet or:

heat radiated from planet = (4πR2) σT4

In radiative balance we thus have:

(4πR2 ) σTe4 = (1 - a) πR2So

Solving this equation for temperature we obtain:

Te = [(1-Aa)So / 4σ] 1/4

Does that clear things up?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold a football at arms length and shine a narrow focus torch at its equator. Now move the beam towards the pole. The small circle of light at the equator becomes a large oval. The source has the same energy but is now dispersed across a larger area.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn Pass the popcorn Pass the popcorn Pass the popcorn
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2