Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

[PROJECT CANCELLED] Unfazed by the Fazer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: [PROJECT CANCELLED] Unfazed by the Fazer Reply with quote

Masochist that I am I bought a wrecked Fazer for my first big bike. TBH I think I might have bitten off more that I can chew going from 1 cylinder to 4 but I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!

The bike had obviously been dropped so I've got a few bits on order to replaced the broken stuff. Half the damage I've already fixed just by bending/bolting stuff back into place.

Overall the bike looks like it was well maintained for a 20yo bike, up until the drop. Apart from this:

https://i.imgur.com/vVhvzTt.jpg?2

OMG, seriously?! B&Q much? Proper studs cost almost nothing, for the love of gods, why?

Ofc, the internals of the engine might be in a similar state but it sounded okay when I turned it over so there's a good start Wink

I'll post more as parts turn up but just a little (horrific) taster...

Last edited by Easy-X on 18:31 - 31 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone wrecked the original threads getting the old studs out and this was their attempted repair. I take it you didn't notice ice this before purchase?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw it but apart from the drop damage everything else is great on the bike. Bit of a gamble but if I can get it running and it lasts 6 months I'll be happy - I just wanted a bog standard bike to experiment with to see if I really want arseless chaps another cruiser Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

How many owners, mileage, price, year, etc.? More pics too. ; - )

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS... you would ask for more pictures after I put the cover on. It's raining here... I say "rain" but I think 90% has evaporated en-route!

Good shout on the previous ownership. I'll let you know when the V5 turns up.

MoT Check shows 1 fail in the last 10 years: poor tread depth. There's a few advisories on tyres and chain tension but otherwise looks good!

My neighbour reckons the chain and back sprocket is brand new! Automotive Archaeology is fun Very Happy

addendum: mileage is 47,000

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-DAMAGED-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-NO-RESERVE-19234-/303226120323?hash=item4699af6883%3Ag%3A98MAAOSwuXtdJaTF&nma=true&si=JPEc1Ogh%252Fbhs8pCM%252FGvJqJVc%252BVI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Fuck... did I outbid you or something, sorry if I did Sad

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
That's it! Fuck... did I outbid you or something, sorry if I did Sad

No, I just guessed eBay as most of the salvage seems to end up there and completed listing in the last few days wasn't that many, that was the only recent salvage one and the header bolts can be seen in the picture.

Seems like an ok buy for the price. What's the frame like though where the crash bung got torn off? Can't help but notice there is no detailed image of that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that took the brunt of the force (along with the flywheel cover) when it sheared off so maybe it did the intended job Smile

Plan is to slap in a flywheel and cover. The stator surprisingly seems okay. If it runs at all reasonably after that then next would be sorting the exhaust manifold bolts which would, in turn, allow access to the oil filter.

While the exhaust is off I can take a look at the engine mounts. Any serious problems and I supposed I could go back to the salvage company and go "hey, this is a Cat S you gits!" but I guess things would have to be pretty bad for them to entertain that idea.

I have a feeling one of the mounting points for the front fairing may need battering into alignment but I may be wrong and it could just be the fairing bent out of shape. The sad dangling indicator arm popped straight back in and just has some road rash for its trouble.

If it's worth the time I'll do a full service as a matter of course: oil, filter, air filter, coolant, plugs, brakes, etc. The rubbers on the carb air intakes are starting to perish. Oh, and one of the coolant pipes is loose but I'm 80% sure it just needs tightening up. If/when I do a complete coolant flush I'll take the affected pipe off and inspect it.

Finally, if the bike really is worth the bother I'll look into how to balance 4 carbs - just for shits and giggles - and keep on the lookout for a salvaged front fairing and indicator lens.

Worst ways a pattern fairing looks to be £125 from Poland but I'd think I'd rather come up with a creative way of repairing the "war wound" as mark of respect to the machine's soul Laughing

Well, that's the project! Should keep me busy Smile Photos at the weekend if the flywheel turns up.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said - interesting. And now we know the price too. So just trying some really rough bangernomics - you could get a half decent 600/4 back running for...what? Pessimistic estimate = £250? So nearly £900 all in. Chain and (rear) sprockets looks new. Tyres look decent - so can cross off £400-ish there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your test pass. Interesting choice to go with a project as a first bike. Projects are never cheap, but I know how nice it is to get that hands-on feeling. Once you've got your new stator and cover and have heard it run, you should definitely give it a full service, including a clean and balance of the carbs. Good to know you'll replace the"exhaust header bolts" which have obviously come from the plumbing aisle at B&Q. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Any serious problems and I supposed I could go back to the salvage company

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be even more impressed if they used self tapping screws.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do a cheap repair on the fairing then acetone is the way to go. It sort of melts the two pieces together and you can melt some ABS with some and create a nice strong filler. Wont look to bad either if it's a nice clean brake.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
If you want to do a cheap repair on the fairing then acetone is the way to go. It sort of melts the two pieces together and you can melt some ABS with some and create a nice strong filler. Wont look to bad either if it's a nice clean brake.

Nah, it's pretty mashed. I'm probably going to clean up the affected area, fill it with red epoxy and reinforce it with staples: something like the aftermath of a Glasgow Kiss in A&E.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't sit about! Got the new cover today - such a shame, they seemed to have forgotten to mould in the Yamaha logo - and just had to try and pull apart the old one Smile

I don't think you can beat flywheels back into shape:

https://i.imgur.com/vasuUD8.jpg?1

Hopefully the salvage one turns up tomorrow. Old cover, smashed to bits. Stator, perfectly fine:

https://i.imgur.com/ZVZ8he4.jpg?1

Couldn't get the last screw off to release the cable. Probably going to have to disconnect the other end of the cable and hit the thing with an impact driver; annoying.

Tried the new cover for size and out of the five cover bolts 2 are perfectly fine, 2 have half the thread missing and one thread is completely gone. The holes on the engine side are roughly 1cm triangles so I might get away with some "metal putty" to fill then. That stuff's fixed a grubby hole in an oil pan for me before so some nice clean surfaces should be no problem. Plus there's not even any pressure to worry about - only dust and water to keep out.

Regarding the bolts I'm wondering I should go as far as attempting to restore the half missing threads? What's there is enough to keep the cover on and aligned and it's not like the stator weighs much.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but it looks like a wreck cosmetically or just a well used daily work horse Fazer. They all look rough as a sunken ship after a couple of winters.

But they made millions of the things and there's enough of them out there to have been able to find a nice cosseted garage queen for not much cash, so why get a scabby one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Sorry but it looks like a wreck cosmetically or just a well used daily work horse Fazer. They all look rough as a sunken ship after a couple of winters.

But they made millions of the things and there's enough of them out there to have been able to find a nice cosseted garage queen for not much cash, so why get a scabby one?

Something to do Smile Just need to keep busy for a month or so till I get a new bike.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:48 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You absolutely sure that the stator sits in a dry place? Not all stators do - just saying.

There could well be a huge problem with the crank shaft - a damaged flywheel like that might have transferred some energy into the shaft and bent it - not by much (stator holds it a bit) but it could make clearance between newer flywheel and stator 'interesting'.

Final warning: We had a thread here recently where someone bought a copy engine cover and it failed to line up dramatically..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You absolutely sure that the stator sits in a dry place? Not all stators do - just saying.

There could well be a huge problem with the crank shaft - a damaged flywheel like that might have transferred some energy into the shaft and bent it - not by much (stator holds it a bit) but it could make clearance between newer flywheel and stator 'interesting'.

Final warning: We had a thread here recently where someone bought a copy engine cover and it failed to line up dramatically..

Yes, I totally acknowledge it's a gamble. If it doesn't run right after the cover + flywheel swap I'm not wasting time rebuilding the engine - I'll break it down and part it out.

Point taken on the alignment. Once I've swapped over the flywheel I'll go over the inside with a whiteboard marker and see if there's any rubbing.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reasonably sure that there should be oil inside that cover. The condition of the internal parts certainly suggests it. This is going to give you a real arse ache sealing it up with those broken main casings.

EDIT: actually, it looks like you are lucky and it's isolated from the engine oil going by the pics here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112522464684 but you'll still want to keep moisture out.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get the flywheel on Saturday Sad Had to do something though!

As mentioned I may need to give one of the fairing mounts a light battering:

https://i.imgur.com/LAGt4du.jpg?1

The two plastic clips have unsurprisingly popped out. The left is fine but the right needs a good shoving to get the holes to align. It may be okay if I just loosen all the fairing fixings and start with that one.

Got the final screw out of the old cover with some percussion. Everything swapped to the new one:

https://i.imgur.com/g5DInXW.jpg?1

It fits back on nicely but I'm missing a pin dowel. There'll be too much movement without it. Hey! Fowlers lists one for 94 pence Smile But £3 P&P Sad Better find something else to add to the basket.

Did I say all the screws? Actually I couldn't get the inspection one out, just does not want to budge:

https://i.imgur.com/1awrHBs.jpg?2

Probably end up ordering another if they're dirt cheap just to fill out the order.

So those exhaust, ermm... stud replacements. Did I get them out? Well you know those frustrating puzzles you get at Christmas... yeah, it was all angles you wouldn't expect. There was actually one conventional stud, looks pretty mashed:

https://i.imgur.com/xAYUOj0.jpg?1

The old "double nut" trick got it out. Let's see what we have:

https://i.imgur.com/U1WBKzj.jpg?2

Hmmm.... "one of these things is not like the others." Yes, we have 6 B&Q specials, one convential 6mm stud and an 8mm bolt! It looks like someone did a proper job of retapping the thread though so I'll just have to sub in an 8mm stud.

Aha! Exhaust off:

https://i.imgur.com/4TBbhLW.jpg?2

Finally! I can get to the bolt that got sheared off. I can just about get some mole grips on the end but it's painfully slow progress. Unfortunately I ran out of light Sad

https://i.imgur.com/24ktqjU.jpg?1

Probably shouldn't have bothered with the exhaust until the flywheel swap but fuck it, didn't have anything else to do Very Happy

Talking of the flywheel, any tips on getting it off? I'm assuming I need to stop it rotating (strap wrench?) and undo the big bolt. Do I need some sort of fancy puller tool after that?

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:24 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the front sprocket, might be welded on

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd... I get the impression that the standard exhaust studs for an FZS 600 are M8 and yet all but one of the threads are M6 Thinking

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:27 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later someone in this forum is going to admit to have previously owned a bodged bike..

The bolts and holes - perhaps some are helicoiled?
You can buy studs with different sized threads at each end if it helps?
The stator bolts: Make sure to Loctite them in. They can and often do come loose and cause havoc. It's a common fault/fix on the DRZ400 for example.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3