Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Energy cannot be created or destroyed...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Energy cannot be created or destroyed... Reply with quote

If energy can not be created or destroyed how can the Dyson air cooling fans work? There’s no cooling medium eg a chilled water system) or way of discharging ‘waste’ energy / heat (eg a pipe to poke through a window belching hot air) to my knowledge. Is my schoolboy understanding of physics all wrong? Are they ‘just’ a glorified ultra expensive fan with a smart way of moving the air?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Energy cannot be created or destroyed... Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Are they ‘just’ a glorified ultra expensive fan with a smart way of moving the air?

Yup.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the fact you can essentially buy a portable air conditioner for that price, it can fuck right off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
....a portable air conditioner....

Which has a hose to poke out of a window?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought mebbe a solid state Peltier effect thingummybob?
but that transfers heat similar to any fridge/aircon
so looked it up and........

It's just a fancy fan

Dyson customer supprt says

"Hello there, our Air Multiplier products cool you rather than the room. They are not air conditioning units as they do not have a cooling element nor do they reduce air temperature.

The cooling effect from the fan occurs as speed of the air flow from the machine comes into contact with your skin. This is the same as any conventional fan. Where ours differs is by providing a smooth and constant airflow, whereas bladed fans will buffet producing interrupted airflow"

Not cheap at all, sod that
My £15 fan can 'buffet' me all it likes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
At first I thought mebbe a solid state Peltier effect thingummybob?
but that transfers heat similar to any fridge/aircon
so looked it up and........

It's just a fancy fan

Dyson customer supprt says

"Hello there, our Air Multiplier products cool you rather than the room. They are not air conditioning units as they do not have a cooling element nor do they reduce air temperature.

The cooling effect from the fan occurs as speed of the air flow from the machine comes into contact with your skin. This is the same as any conventional fan. Where ours differs is by providing a smooth and constant airflow, whereas bladed fans will buffet producing interrupted airflow"

Not cheap at all, sod that
My £15 fan can 'buffet' me all it likes

Edit:
Out of curiosity I wondered how it worked
see here
https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/Howitworks/dysonairmultiplier.html

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would say about the Dyson fans is they don't have blades so perfectly safe when you have little kids larking about.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an expensive fan with timer and remote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-fs40-11nr-16-stand-fan-220-240v/7868k

Here's a cheaper one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ft-30eii-12-desk-fan-220-240v/6545k

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Physics AND biochemistry.

The cooling medium is the sweat on the surface of your skin. It is generated by passive osmosis of fluid following a concentration gradient created by a sodium ion pump driven by ATP proton donating molecules. This in turn derives energy from the breakdown of pyruvate molecules from the sugars in your food.

The cooling effect happens because of the enthalpy absorbing behaviour of the state change from a liquid to a gas as the fluid evaporates into a higher mollecular energy state. This effect is known as the latent heat of vapourisation. For water this is 2,260 kJ/kg (vapourising a litre of water will absorb that much energy). The dyson fan speeds up this effect by increasing the flow of lower humidity air passing over the skin:air interface.

The fan itself will not cool the room, it will actually heat it up by burning electricity. The room will feel cooler because your skin is a hugely effective air conditioning unit moving heat energy from your skin to the surrounding air (furtherheating the room).

Last edited by stinkwheel on 22:09 - 26 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Oooh. Physics AND biochemistry.

The cooling medium is the sweat on the surface of your skin. It is generated by passive osmosis of fluid following a concentration gradient created a sodium ion proton pump. This derives energy from the breakdown of pyruvate molecules from the sugars in your food.

The cooling effect happens because of the enthalpy absorbing behaviour of the state change from a liquid to a gas as the fluid evaporates into a higher mollecular energy state. This effect is known as the latent heat of vapourisation. For water this is 2,260 kJ/kg (vapourising a litre of water will absorb that much energy). The dyson fan speeds up this effect by increasing the flow of lower humidity air passing over the skin:air interface.

The fan itself will not cool the room, it will actually heat it up by burning electricity. The room will feel cooler because your skin is a hugely effective air conditioning unit moving heat energy from your skin to the surrounding air (furtherheating the room).

So in other words save £400 and open the window?!?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

So in other words save £400 and open the window?!?

Yes. Or go outside and stand somewhere both breezy and shady.

Or put a wet towel on your head.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my fans to be 18'' diameter and sound like a light aircraft taking off on an uphill grass runway, otherwise its not worth having.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
(stuff) The dyson fan speeds up this effect by increasing the flow of lower humidity air passing over the skin:air interface.

The same as any other fan but at more cost.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I like my fans to be 18'' diameter and sound like a light aircraft taking off on an uphill grass runway, otherwise its not worth having.

Do you like to put dangly things (No! Not that!) on them?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:22 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
....a portable air conditioner....

Which has a hose to poke out of a window?

Yes, but my response was to the aids price of a 'fan'. My AC just clips to a semi ajar window and seals it. Really cool at night and cost £215 Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by stevo as b4 on 23:29 - 26 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Never tried sticking anything long and dangly in it yet, but if I take a load of blue pills one weekend and run out of places to stick it I'll give it a try if you like OK. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:28 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, we do it all wrong. We fling all the windows open and sit there cooking and complaining.

In a well insulated house during a heatwave you should keep the windows shut and the curtains drawn during the day then open them at night to let the hot air out.

Look at houses in the med, they shut them up tight and close the shutters during the day.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Never tried sticking anything long and dangly in it yet, but if I take a load of blue pills one weekend and run out of places to stick it I'll give it a try if you like OK. Thumbs Up

Sorry, my eyes are watering so much I couldn't hear that.

I meant ribbons and streamers and things.

Oh, bugger, NO! Not "things"!

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading that hanging a damp towel in front of the air helps with cooling air. Was always recommended as a way to keep the ferrets cool, so should work for peeps as well Smile

Haven't needed to this year yet, but If it gets too hot try taking a cold, wet flannel to bed with you. I've fallen asleep with one on my face several times, lol.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Given the fact you can essentially buy a portable air conditioner for that price, it can fuck right off

I agree with this post.
I am not a fan either.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
I seem to remember reading that hanging a damp towel in front of the air helps with cooling air. Was always recommended as a way to keep the ferrets cool, so should work for peeps as well Smile

Haven't needed to this year yet, but If it gets too hot try taking a cold, wet flannel to bed with you. I've fallen asleep with one on my face several times, lol.

This IS a thing.

Evaporative Cooling has been around since Noah was just a Welder in Greenock.

They call them Swamp coolers in the South. (American South not South Ampton.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a fan with a water mister - they _really_ feel cool - I bought a little handheld rechargeable one, nicely effective:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQJ579S

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
hedgehugger wrote:

This IS a thing.

Evaporative Cooling has been around since Noah was just a Welder in Greenock.

They call them Swamp coolers in the South. (American South not South Ampton.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Cool coats and mats for dogs, same principle.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:56 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Evaporative Cooling has been around since Noah was just a Welder in Greenock

It’s been around since early hominids noticed that eohippi sweat, cave-gentlemen perspire, but Raquel Welch in a furry bikini only glows.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2