BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CSCS Card

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: CSCS Card Reply with quote

My eldest needs a labouring CSCS Card for building work this summer. Has anybody done the test recently and if so, are the on-line mock tests anything like the actual one? I ask because we sat down this afternoon and did a couple of the mocks, and even I passed when I haven't done anything more than DIY for decades. I don't want him lulled into a sense of false security as surely the actual test is harder?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What test was it - basic site safety? If you can process oxygen you can pass that one just about. Anyone who didn't pass it first time I'd issue with slip-on shoes.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it several times over the years and it usually consists of about 5 hours watching slides and videos, followed by a 45min exam at the end. As long as you have some basic common sense and can stay awake through the slides, you'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cscstest.org.uk/#start-practice

Going at it completely green.

44/50, fail.

Wrong, should have guessed:

Small cut on finger. *
Male & female using lavatories. *
Inserting disposable ear-plugs.
Wearing a back support belt. *
Lifting a load from the floor. *
Making sure a ladder won't slip. *

* - "Duh, I knew that". Time taken, 4 minutes.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
https://cscstest.org.uk/#start-practice

Going at it completely green.

44/50, fail.

Wrong, should have guessed:

Small cut on finger. *
Male & female using lavatories. *
Inserting disposable ear-plugs.
Wearing a back support belt. *
Lifting a load from the floor. *
Making sure a ladder won't slip. *

* - "Duh, I knew that". Time taken, 4 minutes.

i got 44/50
got the back support one wrong
and the ladder slip one
the others i forgot

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that the actual test is no harder than the on-line mocks going by Pete and Stevo's experience. He's not doing the classroom bit, just the test, so I reckon if he does all the mocks on line plus learns his fire extinguishers and utility pipe colours that should cover everything.... He got 47/50 in the two mocks he did yesterday so the common sense element is already there.

A word of advice for anybody wanting a labouring job - get this qualification before you start because most reputable contractors won't take you on unless you have it.... It doesn't cost much but it does open doors!

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did the ECS card exam, same kind of thing, did a load of mock tests before, after a few you see the same questions, so unless he cant remember his name, he should pass no problem after 10 mock tests,
I got 99% with no trying first time out, the test took me 6 minutes to complete and pass, some companies wanted £300 + for the few days of help and the test, actual exam was about £30.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those £300 ones - a real con by the look of it.... The cost of his exam is only £41, so all's good there!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually re-new it before it expires by applying for a new card and sending off a picture etc.

I've done it a few times over the last 10years, but last time there was a cock up with sending off for a new card, so mine expired and I had to go on the day course. Its very unnecessary to do this though, but work pays for it so I don't moan and get a nice easy day off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass 47/50 - never worked in construction but 32 years Royal Navy.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

48/50

Mostly just common sense.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

43/50 oh dear, no chance of me escaping my air conditioned office and doing any real work Sad

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

44, also failed Very Happy

I worked on a few major construction sites in Australia when I first arrived there. I was a total fraud just looking for cash and I think a few of the supervisors saw through it. They only had me on menial work anyway, but even then I knew literally nothing about the ins and outs of the industry.

I remember being put with an Irish lad on a new project which I think became Perth's big new hospital. At the time it was just the foundations. We were tasked with wading across the iron gridding of the foundations and getting on our hands on knees to reach the couple of feet below to pick up snippets of wire tires from the floor. All day every day. We were the absolute bottom rung skivvy immigrant workers doing the lowest of the low tasks, while skilled Ozzie and Kiwi (plus a few British) tradesmen of all kinds did skilled trade things all around us.

It was 44 degrees C on the hottest day, sun cream was a freebie and it was a priority every morning. I remember one afternoon, after a sweltering day of constant sweat and humidity, I did that thing where you've been squatting in a funny way, then you stand up and blood leaves your head too fast so you start to black out. I was right in the middle of the foundation gridding and a faint of any kind would have looked extremely bad and probably would have had me sacked instantly. I had to do everything in my power to not fall over while my vision faded to black and my level of consciousness fizzled to about 1% capacity. I could feel myself slowly tipping, like the Titanic in its final moments before going under. Then pressure began to restore, my vision came back and normalcy was regained. Somehow, I had not fallen over. Win Very Happy.

A week or so later I got a job in a factory paying way too much money and had some of the best 6 months my early 20s ever saw.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine expired in 2011. So obvs I didn't fail. Not much point renewing, I only work on already built houses which I own
now, not on building sites. I don't remember it being difficult tbh.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I remember being put with an Irish lad on a new project which I think became Perth's big new hospital. At the time it was just the foundations. We were tasked with wading across the iron gridding of the foundations and getting on our hands on knees to reach the couple of feet below to pick up snippets of wire tires from the floor. All day every day.

They still do that nowadays but they use a magnet on a broomstick.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

PASS 47/50.

Wrong on:
Toilet Facilities
How to secure a ladder
Scaffolding distance from a structure

Not bad considering I've never worked in constuction.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

I remember being put with an Irish lad on a new project which I think became Perth's big new hospital. At the time it was just the foundations. We were tasked with wading across the iron gridding of the foundations and getting on our hands on knees to reach the couple of feet below to pick up snippets of wire tires from the floor. All day every day.

They still do that nowadays but they use a magnet on a broomstick.

Sorry, massive typo in there.

'Wire tires' should have been 'cable ties' (plastic ones). Magnet would have been useless!

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have just passed it.
Some of the questions are trick questions like the wet weather clothes.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the MAP test (manager CSCS) in June, but in terms of the best revision, just get the (right!) app - there's one for each test and it'll prepare better than anything else. When I did my first CSCS test back in 2005 it was a book-only revision but it was rubbish. In this day of everything-apps it's the way forwards. Thumbs Up

One Ball 1971
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend did her CSCS test today at midday. By 12:08 she was getting back in the car, 49 out of 50.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Ball 1971 wrote:
My girlfriend did her CSCS test today at midday. By 12:08 she was getting back in the car, 49 out of 50.

Yep. Thank god they don't require you to stay in there for the duration of the test. I spent more time talking to the guy on reception (who was a biker) than I did in the test room.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lad passed with no problems. My advice to anybody wanting summer holiday work - get your card!!!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 129 days between these two posts...
Leena990 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:40 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Here Is the one more website to apply for CSCS Card Reply with quote

Leena990 wrote:
You can apply CSCS Card or CSCS test online at construction Helpline.
Call our construction expert at 0207 199 9800 and know about all types of CSCS Card or CSCS Test etc.

Great 1st post. Posting spam on a thread that has been dead for 2 1/2 years. Spam

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:09 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste for mod.

Rain
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2