Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not got on a bike yet....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

forr3s
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:04 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking to book my CBT this week and after some advice really if possible.

Having not ridden a motorbike before would it be best to do the cbt on a 50cc moped or a 125cc bike, considering I looking at getting a 125 once I have the CBT.

Any tips on what to expect? Now I realise it not a test as such, but guessing you have to meet a certain level before being given the certificate.

I wear glasses for driving a car/van so what would suggestions be for a helmet suitable for glasses wearers?

Would it be wise to buy a new bike for first one or something a bit used?

Many thanks

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it on the geared bike with an instructor teaching you to use the gears. It's no harder to ride, clutch and gears aside. The only reason to do it on the moped is you're 16, don't intend to ride a geared bike afterwards or if you really struggle with the clutch and gears.

You do need to meet a competent standard to get the certificate - basically it's up to the instructor and you just need to demonstrate that you can control the bike and navigate the road safely. If you struggle some schools will offer a discounted additional session.

The school will teach you everything you need to know. No prerequisites.

I've yet to try a helmet they didn't work with glasses although some have a removable piece of foam where the legs sit which can help with comfort. For a decent budget helmet (if it suits your head shape) you could do worse than a Nolan N87 (I prefer mine is to my very expensive Shoei Neotec actually).

I'd always advocate a used bike (Japanese generally) as a first as there's a good chance you'll drop it at some point. There all some decent new deals but don't enter into finance if you think you might want to upgrade to a larger machine in the near future (decent chance you will unless you're purely looking for cheap transport).

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO!
Do it on a 125 geared bike.

You don't mention your age or what your long term intentions are.
If you're over 24 and want to have a bike for fun then you'll be aiming for a full licence asap, so a new 125 bike doesn't make sense.
If you're 18 and only want to commute for 1 year until you've sorted a car & licence then again a new 125 doesn't make much sense.
So a bit more info would help.

As for a Bash Hat, the training school will have full face helmets and you need to faff around feeding the glasses in after you've put it on.
You can do it with most full face helmets so probably not worth spending on your own stuff until you've got your CBT in hand..
When you get your CBT and start getting some gear like boots. jacket, gloves and a helmet then you'll probably visit a motorbike gear place like J&S. There you can try on various helmets to see what size fits best from a few manufacturers (Different ones fit different shaped heads better/worse) and if you're OK with the Glasses faff or if you prefer a flip-front helmet.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

forr3s wrote:
Having not ridden a motorbike before would it be best to do the cbt on a 50cc moped or a 125cc bike, considering I looking at getting a 125 once I have the CBT.

Any tips on what to expect? Now I realise it not a test as such, but guessing you have to meet a certain level before being given the certificate.

I wear glasses for driving a car/van so what would suggestions be for a helmet suitable for glasses wearers?

It doesn't matter whether you use geared or auto, 50- or 125. It's a day's intro, mthat's all, and you can learn gears after at leisure. Do whatever is easiest to get your CBT. When you've got your CBT, you can progress in experience, as you should intend to from the outset, and learn about gears etc. in your own sweet time. If you have never ridden a motorbike, I would tend to favour an auto.

You can find out what to expect by asking your CBT people, they will be chatty, or looking online. If the CBT people aren't chatty, go elsewhere.

You have apparently got some driving experience, which is very good. Revise your Highway Code, and think about motorbikes especially. There are problably online "tests" you can do; sameish for car/bike.

If you cave not bought a helmet, use whatever the CBT people lend you. FF or open, you can still get your glasses on.

Be enthusiastic! Have fun!!!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

forr3s wrote:

Depends on your pocket and knowledge.

If your pockets aren't deep, and you have a friend who knows about motorbikes, i.e. has done maintenance preferably on an old one, use that knowledge if you want to save money. You can always ask stuff here, too!!!

If money is relatively unimportant, buy a new one, and have the vendor service it at the correct intervals, and only look at what the owner's manual says you need to look up, at precisely the specified intervals.

forr3s
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:52 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
IMO!
Do it on a 125 geared bike.

You don't mention your age or what your long term intentions are.
If you're over 24 and want to have a bike for fun then you'll be aiming for a full licence asap, so a new 125 bike doesn't make sense.
If you're 18 and only want to commute for 1 year until you've sorted a car & licence then again a new 125 doesn't make much sense.
So a bit more info would help.

As for a Bash Hat, the training school will have full face helmets and you need to faff around feeding the glasses in after you've put it on.
You can do it with most full face helmets so probably not worth spending on your own stuff until you've got your CBT in hand..
When you get your CBT and start getting some gear like boots. jacket, gloves and a helmet then you'll probably visit a motorbike gear place like J&S. There you can try on various helmets to see what size fits best from a few manufacturers (Different ones fit different shaped heads better/worse) and if you're OK with the Glasses faff or if you prefer a flip-front helmet.

Yeah I didn't mention I am 48 and the aim is to get a bigger bike in a years time. Not into the cheaper transport ethos, for me it is purely to be able to get out on the open road with just me and my bike.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
you can learn gears after at leisure.

If you've got somewhere private to learn how to ride with gears then that's not a bad idea, but trying to learn them on the road can be rather dangerous, so if that's the only option IMO it's not a wise idea.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need more than one session/CBT to 'get' it.
Some places charge for a whole new day, some let you continue on another day for a smaller fee.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

forr3s wrote:
Yeah I didn't mention I am 48 and the aim is to get a bigger bike in a years time. Not into the cheaper transport ethos, for me it is purely to be able to get out on the open road with just me and my bike.

Talk to the riding school about doing lessons for your full test asap and don't get involved with a 125 after your CBT.
125s have a 125 tax, so even if you don't want to go real big bike straight away you can get a 250-500 and it'll be cheaper than a 125 (everything including insurance).

Plus riding a larger bike is actually easier than a little bike. More stable and less gear shifting to keep up with traffic etc.
It's only your throttle control which can make a bigger bike awkward sometimes as a newbie.

IMO

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
you can learn gears after at leisure.

If you've got somewhere private to learn how to ride with gears then that's not a bad idea, but trying to learn them on the road can be rather dangerous, so if that's the only option IMO it's not a wise idea.

Loads of quiet roads available at various times. It's even possible to take further instruction from the CBT provider. The chap's got experience of driving presumably non-auto vehicles; "gears" is nice, but perhaps an unwelcome distraction on a CBT(**).

Still, the chap's never been on a motorbike. I'd be inclined to learn to "pass" the test comfortably first. My son, for instance, did his CBT on a 50cc auto, and progressed to a geared 125 soon after. I winced at his early gear changes, but he "got it" after driving up and down a quietish road (outside rush-hour) a few times. Yon OP has experience of gears, albeit car-type rather than motorbike-type, and road sense, hopefully, so "learning gears" should noit be too hard, but return to "**" above.

I'm sure he'll work it out.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
after driving up and down a quietish road (outside rush-hour) a few times.

Quiet'ish roads aren't always close by.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ridden before?
ever?
may I ask what prompted this desire to be a biker?

Just do a cbt and see how you feel about it.
As you say, its training not a test so dont feel bad about having
an extra day or so if you or your instructor feels it would help

Some people get the bug and wish they'd done it years ago, some don't enjoy it
and the enthusiasm wanes when they realise how vulnerable they are.

If you do get the bug, don't throw money away on a 125
get something simple, cheap and cheerful until you get a full license
as whatever 125 you get will feel woefully underpowered pretty quickly

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
after driving up and down a quietish road (outside rush-hour) a few times.

Quiet'ish roads aren't always close by.

I'm not going to indulge in useless argueing about stupid points, it's up to the OP what he does, and good luck to (hopefully) another biker.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CBT on as big a bike as you can get (125) with gears. Any muppet can do the CBT on a 50cc auto scooter and come away with a piece of paper. Why not set the bar high and go for the challenge!

Unless you're particularly unambitious you'll get sick of a 125 in a few months so I wouldn't recommend buying anything new. Everyone I know that ever bought a brand new 125 to learn on has regretted it for a tragic waste of money.

forr3s
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:52 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Never ridden before?
ever?
may I ask what prompted this desire to be a biker?

Just do a cbt and see how you feel about it.
As you say, its training not a test so dont feel bad about having
an extra day or so if you or your instructor feels it would help

Some people get the bug and wish they'd done it years ago, some don't enjoy it
and the enthusiasm wanes when they realise how vulnerable they are.

If you do get the bug, don't throw money away on a 125
get something simple, cheap and cheerful until you get a full license
as whatever 125 you get will feel woefully underpowered pretty quickly

Yeah never ridden, been pillion many moons ago (25+ Years), oh tell lie, rode a little Tomos 30 years ago in my uncles yard, in other words no never lol

Reason for wanting to take it up now? Always wanted to but with young children the bank of dad was always dry so to speak, but both older now , and as I am wiser and drive vans for a living and have done for long time, the time is right to expand my horizons and see places I wouldn't normally see driving a car.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Yeah because only so many millions of people have managed to do it up to now.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with Alpineandy's comments. Definitely consider going straight to direct access for a full license, bigger bikes are easier to ride so don't worry about the performance gap. You'll learn to manage the bigger bike quickly and from there it's just down to how far you twist the throttle.

I still recommend doing the cbt on a geared bike with someone to guide you.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:22 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! Here-in lies pain, poverty and madness! lol

Start here: Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'

Alpineandy wrote:

Cut to the chase, JUST do DAS like other numpties.

CBT is Compulsary Basic Training, and it IS very basic. If you plan a big bike licence, anyway. doing CBT and the L-Plate 125 'thing' isn't dodging diving into the deep-end toe in the water wayz about...

Bikes a bikes a bike and you face same dangers on a tiddler as you do anything else.... just without the training to cope with it... and most 125's is, if it's any measure of 'safety'.. is just as "Fast" as any motor-bike can legally go in this country... I know mine, a 3o year old four stroke, certainly is... I have the GPS snail trails to support it! Big bikes if you is 'daft' will just get you into high adrenaline trouble that much quicker, meanwhile with less mass and less flexible power delivery, big bikes in many ways are actually 'easier' to ride, particularly at slower speeds.

Quiet places? Err yeah. On the public roads, alone... how you going to 'learn' anything without any-one to 'teach' you?

Trial and error? Thats not teaching you... that is just punishing you with poverty and pain, for getting it wrong... you still have to figure out a) what that was b) what to do different 'next time' in the hope that is closer to 'right'... & believe me at our age bruises hurt more and take longer to heal than they did when we were teen-agers! And if place you try suck it and see is quiet? Who gonna be standing around with an elkasta-plast and sympathy?

Like I say JUST go do DAS, get the training, get a licence, and IF you still want to do the tidler toe in the shallows 'thing' nowt stopping you, its a ride what you like licence, and if you like to ride a 125 no-one says you cant... I do... just dont have to do it with an L-Plate, without a pillion or not on motorways.... Learner restrictions are entirely self impose... go get a licrence, Do the DAS, and as said, you probably wont want to, but cut to the chase, you can still get a 125 for the learning, which mostly starts after the testrs, IF you so want to... but do the full course... THRN weigh yp options... which rather makes question over CBT and whether to do CBT on twist and go 50 or geaared 125 rather redundant, dont you think?

See advice on webby, here and now, more important to check with bike school the catering arrangements for lunch, and preparing a packed lunch with, this whether, lots to drink (non alchofrolic!), and deciding whether to buy your own crah hat before hand and whther to go cheap nopen face just for training, or expensive fill face for future aspirations, etc etc etc..

Dont sweat the small stuff, and go Do DAS. And see webby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

forr3s wrote:

I think that's the right approach - you've decided that what you're interested in is riding around, you've only got a certain amount of time left, and with that in mind, you don't want to spend a lot of time learning new skills or tinkering. Also, projects and old bikes are often money sinks. I always felt a bit ignorant when it came to mechanical stuff and working on bikes, so an important part of bikes for me was to get that hands-on experience and basic competence, and some basic knowledge of how things work. It's taken a few years, quite a few mistaken purchases and experiments, etc. So if your main intention is to just ride, then you would be better off with a newish bike and leaving all maintenance work to pros or dealers.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Big bikes if you is 'daft' will just get you into high adrenaline trouble that much quicker, meanwhile with less mass and less flexible power delivery, big bikes in many ways are actually 'easier' to ride, particularly at slower speeds.

Big bikes easier to ride at slower speeds? Erm. I'd rather do Mod1 on a CG than a CBF600.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:44 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Big bikes easier to ride at slower speeds? Erm. I'd rather do Mod1 on a CG than a CBF600.

Compere like foe like, would you rathr do Mod1 on a CBR600 or a YZF-R125.... Oh-Kay, we;; I iz too big to even contemplate foldimg ,yself onto an R125... what about a DR350 v a Yzf 125.... I have done Mod 1 cones on Suzuki GN125, Honda CB125 TD-C, *(Wink) Honda CG 136 and an ST1100.. actually quite nice that last one,m if you counter-lean... ZXR6 I souyld say was horrible, through cones or OTR theough... far too scrunxhed and single minded.. made sense maybe round mallory, bur on A444 to get there? No! loll.. either its seat or mine needs more padding me-thi9nks, bur even that probably wouldn't be enough! Nut still.... on the whole bigger bikes tend to be easier to dtick through the cones... I'd certainly not hesitate as much to tackle on my Seven-Foifty as I woyld the One-Two-Five.... Oh Kay, the 250 cota might be traking the proverbial a bit... in fact be hard not to, and do the comes on the back whjee;..... oh yeah... thats how I failed my "Part One" on a JHonda H100 in 1988.... maybe not... but then again! Would be 'fun#'... you still got the ywo-strroke JCB? That coule be fiun, too... of the I can count to Van-Van! Lol!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Not got on a bike yet.... Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Yeah because only so many millions of people have managed to do it up to now.

Times change.
40 years ago when I did that the roads in London did have quiet times, but they don't now.
Depending where he is and how busy the area is means it may not be a wise idea despite millions of people having done it in the past Rolling Eyes

forr3s
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow,

thanks for all the replies, some really useful info you have all given me.

Will do the CBT on a 125 to get some familiarity with the gears and then if the school I am with feels comfortable I will then book for full licence course. And as much as I would love to do the DAS the cost is not viable as need to get a bike to get used to while learning.

I could do the learn as I go by riding locally as I live in a rural area with plenty of quiet roads thankfully.

One definite is that I won't be buying a new 125 and will wait for new bike until I have that A licence.

As for gear, I am going to a bike shop locally to check out different types of lids, Jacket and Gloves but will hold back until done CBT.

One thing for certain is that thanks to all the quality posts on this thread I am better prepared for the short term. Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

forr3s wrote:
And as much as I would love to do the DAS the cost is not viable as need to get a bike to get used to while learning.

See what the school says about it.
I've a few friends that all skipped 125s and the silly expense that comes with them, and all say they're pleased they did.
The school lessons should teach you all you need for a full licence without having to get a 125.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:04 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS is not a coiurse, DAS is the two rules of testing that sat you 'may' test for a RWYL licence on a bige biger than 125, and you may, train for them tests on same bike if under supervision of DSA approved instror.

You so NOT need do a full DAS course let alone an intensive DAS cour5se to get a RWYL 'A' licence; you may take weekly one pr two hour lessons, just like car drivers commonly do, or even go it-alone and 'just' take the tests, pr4ovided you have an A test eligibl;e bike to use, and way to lkegally get you and bike to the test center.... usually more practical and as cheap to go theorough a school, but its not mandatory.

As Webby 125's, Are they worth it? (TIME ON A TIDDLER IS RARELY WASTED!) CBT & L's can be a good 2ways about, BUT, you are still learning by your own mistakes, that tend to come paiful and expsnsive on bikes... so how many of them can you stand/afford? As said you do most of your learning post test and licence, and no-one says you MUST get a big expensive or brand new bike as soon as you have licence...

If you start via tiddler, probably as well to wait the year out and get the first NCB on your ticket before you get a bige bike any way, possibly a bit longer still to get full 1 years full licence histyory too... BUT,, just for sake of, my Seven-Fifty is actually about 40-50% CHEAPER to insure a year than my 125.... so good odds that all in it'd actuallty be cheaper to do a DAS course and get OTR straight away on a 'big-bike' than do the dangerouse thing and try tiddling.... as said my 750 is 40/50% cheasper to insure each year than the 125, it would also be cheaper to replace!!!

Good odds that you could save the pri e of a DAS course just on the price of a more sensible 2nd hand bog bike, AND you would get more bike for your money for it, as well as the licence, plus the safety provided by the lessons..... THINK abnout it, its all 'win' we aren't bl;owing smoke just cos we ride big bikes' yopu want to ride, ANY bike, do the sensible, go get trained.. as said no-one makes you ride a bike, lety alone a bigger one, you can Ride a 125 on a ful licenmce just as legally as you might a 600 or full litre.. I do.... so why not?

Stop thinking 'Bike' start thinking 'Learn to Ride'.,... if you were nbew to cars or HGV's,. hang-gliders or sail-boards, you would do lessons, so why not for motorbikes?

Money is NOT an excuse... if you cant afford lessons you cantr afforsd a bike... end of.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2