BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buy pea shooter & ammo?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the issue is that while shooting the poxy things (and maybe the odd magpie or crow) is not a "capability" issue in general, right here it is. I don't want to be firing pellets or bigger, or any ball bearings, 'cos it would be irresponsible here, and could lead to Official Trubble with a capital "T". Even that little HW77 will fire a pellet straight through a jackdaw. So it's just something for amusement and relief from squawks and chakka-chakka-ing, to help the garden birds if I can, and avoid damage to people's person and posessions. Hence a pea-shooter or even as suggested plastic BB shot, although BB is a "step up". Traps are an option but it's rather late on in the year now.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
what about a gat gun, with some bbs, should sting abit but be non lethal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gat_air_pistol

try finding one for sale

I wanted one not long back and everywhere said the same

company went bust and no one else made them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an airsoft glock blowback, perfect for scaring away the birds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
what about a gat gun, with some bbs, should sting abit but be non lethal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gat_air_pistol

try finding one for sale

I wanted one not long back and everywhere said the same

company went bust and no one else made them

I've got one in my garage. had it for years, I can't even think where it came from.

you can buy from here apparently.
https://www.airsoft-guns.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Pistols.html

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As kids, my brother and I would get bored with shooting dried peas, so we raided our Mum's sewing box. Took a few pins each and started making darts. Get several tufts of wool, and hold by the head of the pin and then tightly bind it on with cotton (colour of your choice) whipping it around the wool and tying off.
They shoot a treat and stick in doors, dart boards, skirting boards, legs arms and stomachs, to the point of submission.

Have a crack at that for a bit of fun.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The bit of spud was fired out by air pressure. They could also fire caps, either by themself or at the same time, the cap wasn't the propellant.
Oh yes it was. If the hole got bunged up, your spud would not go. If you did not put a cap in, your spud would not go.

Yes absolutely, I remember those guns, they were awesome!:

https://cloud10.todocoleccion.online/juguetes-antiguos-juegos-coleccion/tc/2009/03/31/12673970.webp

I remember the trick was to put several caps in at the same time to increase the explosive power; but not too many or there was too much paper thickness for the firing pin to do its thing. It you got it right and fired it at your sister mate from close enough range, it really bloody stung!

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:23 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in air guns they should think about about buying them sooner rather than later before they try and have them licensed like the scumbags in Scotland have done.

The irony is the latest incident they were using to try and license airguns involved an airgun that needed a proper firearms licence and the swans from that article look like they were hit with buckshot. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Why are people calling for tighter air gun laws?

Legal air guns have been used in a series of horrifying attacks in recent years.

Stanley Metcalf died on July 26, 2018, after his great-grandfather accidentally fired a shotgun into his stomach.

Pensioner Albert Grannon, 78, was jailed for three years in July 2019 after admitting to manslaughter.

In December 2018, a pair of adult swans and their five cygnets died agonising deaths after being riddled with air gun pellets in Kent.

And in May 2019, a four-year-old moggie had to have her leg amputated after she was used as air gun target practice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895837/air-gun-law-uk-licence-safety-requirements/

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
But are wrinklly ones less aerodynamic? Are golf balls smooth?

Maybe time for an experiment.

Also, mung beans.

My thoughts exactly.

Also could a bike mounted exhaust powered pea shooter be a possibility?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:03 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The bit of spud was fired out by air pressure. They could also fire caps, either by themself or at the same time, the cap wasn't the propellant.

Oh yes it was. If the hole got bunged up, your spud would not go. If you did not put a cap in, your spud would not go.

Edit: perhaps you are thinking of a different spud gun.

I had one of them around 1962. It was great fun. The cap firing definitely propelled the spud out of the zink cartridge thing. The barrel was just a dummy item to make the gun look real in a kiddie way. It was far bigger than the projectile so it did nothing to increase velocity. The spud was essentially propelled directly out of the zink cartridge.

There were other spud guns that were a sort of pump. You squeezed the trigger and the whole front end came back into the handle compressing the air inside. This was held there by the end of the barrel, a kind of spigot that was stuffed with spud and as you squeezed it hard, the spud finally broke free and was forced out fast by the compressed air.

By the way, jackdaws are highly intelligent birds and very annoying to shoot even with a proper rifle. Once they realise you are after them with a gun they will do one as soon as they see the gum, but they will hang about mocking you when you don't have it. Good luck trying to upset them with a pea shooter. They will more than likely be pleased and come and gobble up your peas that you fired at them.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:15 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
For those interested in air guns they should think about about buying them sooner rather than later before they try and have them licensed like the scumbags in Scotland have done.

The irony is the latest incident they were using to try and license airguns involved an airgun that needed a proper firearms licence and the swans from that article look like they were hit with buckshot. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Why are people calling for tighter air gun laws?

Legal air guns have been used in a series of horrifying attacks in recent years.

Stanley Metcalf died on July 26, 2018, after his great-grandfather accidentally fired a shotgun into his stomach.

Pensioner Albert Grannon, 78, was jailed for three years in July 2019 after admitting to manslaughter.

In December 2018, a pair of adult swans and their five cygnets died agonising deaths after being riddled with air gun pellets in Kent.

And in May 2019, a four-year-old moggie had to have her leg amputated after she was used as air gun target practice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895837/air-gun-law-uk-licence-safety-requirements/

Morons will aways abuse any item that is capable of being abused. This is true of guns, bicycles, alcohol, cars - you name it; they abuse it. Most people are not morons, but in the UK the default position is to treat everybody like a moron and ban stuff. They ban everything. We are expected to ask the state's permission to do anything except go to work, pay taxes and spend money on trash in shops. You can walk the streets as long as you don't stop too long anywhere. I object to this. I should be free to do whatever I like that does not harm other people and I don't want to have to ask the minions of the state for permission of a fucking license to do ordinary stuff. There are frequently attempts to make us buy a licence to keep a dog.

If you do buy an air gun - have a care about where you fire it. It is completely illegal to discharge an air gun in any public place, or on any land you do not own or upon which you have the permission of the land owner to use it. Unless you have a good sized space of your own private land, you will soon have plod down your neck. You can join a gun club.

I'm not against guns and shooting. I have several rifles and shotguns. It is a right old rigmarole to get the permits and strong security arrangements are required. Hardest of all is getting landowners to permit you to use them. Then there is the stringent wild life laws which make it illegal to shoot birds except in certain specified conditions of damage being done by them.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:25 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Well the issue is that while shooting the poxy things (and maybe the odd magpie or crow) is not a "capability" issue in general, right here it is. I don't want to be firing pellets or bigger, or any ball bearings, 'cos it would be irresponsible here, and could lead to Official Trubble with a capital "T". Even that little HW77 will fire a pellet straight through a jackdaw. So it's just something for amusement and relief from squawks and chakka-chakka-ing, to help the garden birds if I can, and avoid damage to people's person and posessions. Hence a pea-shooter or even as suggested plastic BB shot, although BB is a "step up". Traps are an option but it's rather late on in the year now.

Maybe one of those super soaker things would be right up your street. My lads had them about twenty years ago and they were a lot of fun. They were pretty good at scaring away cats that used to shit in the sand pit too. Best part was they cause no harm but provide a spectacular jet of water and can be aimed pretty well for about thirty odd feet as I recall. One we had was fitted with a good sized water tank so you weren't always filling it up unless the lads were having a world war three episode.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
Maybe one of those super soaker things... They were pretty good at scaring away cats that used to shit in the sand pit too.

Pressure washer.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Pressure washer.

A small shaver and a net.

https://petslady.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/pet-haircuts-10.jpg

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

]

I've got one in my garage. had it for years, I can't even think where it came from.

you can buy from here apparently.
https://www.airsoft-guns.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Pistols.html

no buying option just an advert for it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2