Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to the forums supersport advice needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tricky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: New to the forums supersport advice needed Reply with quote

I’ve just joined for some advise. I’m 29 years old 5 years ago I had an rs125 for a season just. My CBT has elapsed clearly so I’ve Boone that for 8th August at a cost of £130 and the theory for £23 on 17th August. I’m 6ft and just over 16 stone. I want a supersport and I know that a bike can only go as fast as your right hand allows.

I’ve read mixed reviews on which bikes are the most road easy and almost everyone rules out the r6 and I’ve sat in a Daytona and it seems very small so I’m thinking cbr600rr, gsxr600 or zx6r year 2006 and above.

I plan to wear RST leathers, boots and gloves with my agv k5 helmet. This bike is purely for good weather fun riding.

I’ve seen a cbr600rr 2009 leyla editition, 5k miles for £4250
07 gsxr 600 10k miles £4250

Or should I go slightly cheaper for my first bike incase of a drop or crash I seen a 2006 zx6r 18k miles £2500

All three have service history and long mot

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: New to the forums supersport advice needed Reply with quote

zx6r because it's cheap and good. You probably won't be able to feel a massive difference between them with your experience but it won't hold you back when you do learn.

There's no wrong answer really.

So, '98 R1 it is.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:23 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. Are you saying you don't yet have a license? If not, don't worry about what bike to get and get the A part first. The reason is you will want to ride them before you buy.

The looks are all great but the way they feel and comfort will only come when you test ride one.

Tricky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:41 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
I am confused. Are you saying you don't yet have a license? If not, don't worry about what bike to get and get the A part first. The reason is you will want to ride them before you buy.

The looks are all great but the way they feel and comfort will only come when you test ride one.

Sorry for your confusion yes I do not have a license as yet my CBT and Theory are within the next two weeks. I’ve only previously owned an aprilia rs125 which I rode on a CBT which has since expired.

I’m just after advice for anyone in around 6ft 14-17 stone who has ridden supersport a which you prefer for the road and also as a first bike should I spend up to £4500 on a newer less miles example or just go with £2500 incase or drop or damage that should of been my question. Apologies

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your 'full' licence and then worry about which bike you'll be riding. It could be months away. Any idea what the wait is for a full test in your area?

You'll probably do it on a school naked 650 and may find you prefer the seating position.
Don't commit to a particular bike until you're really looking and even then the price/value of what's available should be an important factor.

Last edited by Alpineandy on 15:55 - 29 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:54 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one to get is the one you find comfiest and you like the look of the most. Any of them will quite happily take all 16 stone you as fast as you want. Laughing

Spending £2,500 rather than £4,250 on your first bike is the sensible option, how sensible are you feeling? Laughing You could get something that's got ABS as that would help prevent you from crashing due to a a newbie braking error.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the Honda, don't get hung up on wanting the 600RR, the 600F is still a supersports, it's comfier and still has razor sharp handling, fantastic brakes and enough power to get you into more trouble than you can handle. Cheaper and there's a better chance a second hand one wont have been thrashed to within an inch of its life.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that new riders in 2019 still lusted after supersorts bikes or just sports bikes in general? I thought race bikes for the road was an outdated phenomenon just left to us 90's-2010 riders, and it was desperately unfashionable to like sports bikes now?? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:20 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wait time currently for the test is just over 2 weeks. I’ll be learning in the Suzuki SV650 my instructor has informed me.

I looked at the cbr600f and the ninja 650. I don’t mind the 6ppf but do not like the ninja 650 ultimately though I’m going to buy a supersport.

I hear you about the ABS option. For that I’ll have to max out my budget of £4500 and have a slightly higher mile example

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky wrote:
The wait time currently for the test is just over 2 weeks.

Surprised 2 weeks.... it's 2-3+ months in many places.
I guess Northern Ireland can become a DAS destination Cool

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:04 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth. I just went to the shops on the wifes 2000 CBR600F and it is definately a supersports bike. A totally bonkers little rev-machine. I left it in third gear the whole way, went fast enough to go to jail and never even got near the redline.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600RR is a bit mad. As mentioned previously a work colleague has one:

Hey, Chris, how fast can your bike go?

"I have no idea, my pooper went before I found out..."

says it all really!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a CBR600F with ABS that's comfortably within your budget.

As an example, this sold for £2,585 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312707979170?orig_cvip=true

I appreciate that you'd wanting one that doesn't have any damage to the front mudguard but this is just to give you an idea of possible options. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
CBR600RR is a bit mad. As mentioned previously a work colleague has one:

Hey, Chris, how fast can your bike go?

"I have no idea, my pooper went before I found out..."

says it all really!

It is not mad at all, it is a very linear delivery of its 100ish horses.

Faster than a 125, but its really not THAT bad at all. Rolling Eyes

Work colleague is woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Work colleague is woman.

How unkind Laughing

>150mph on UK roads? That'll be a size 14 dress for me please!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the ZX6. A member on here got one years back, was it Joe? Anyway, I remember seeing a picture he posted of the bike, with a big noisy pipe, in lairy green. I got an instant stiffy.

If I was after a sports bike for myself these days it'd be a Gixxer 750, but that's with a few more miles and years under my belt.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixxer 750. Wub One of only 2 sports bikes I every really fancied, the other being this, purely because of the colours........

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/a1/50/eca150eca4ec5b3c24ab0899461df531.jpg

Sadly my fat arse would never fit on one Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1