BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Legalisation of Cannabis

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought that ALL drugs should be legal but under license.

By that I mean, similar to a driving license, you have to pass some tests on knowledge around each drug you want to enable your license for.
This would prove (in theory) that the person understands what the effects are, what the overdose treatments are, long term use dangers etc
Then there would be a period of quantity control you'd be allowed to buy.
eg you pass the alcohol test. It permits you to buy booze at 14 units a week. After a period of time (6 months maybe), it increases to 28 units a week.
If you get busted for D&D or drink driving. Your limits are busted down to 5 units per week or something.

There would be a base annual cost to maintaining this license. Let's say £25 per annum for a license with zero points on it.
Then if a person had an illness, visited NHS to get stomach pumped, or got fired for turning up to work stoned. The cost would go up.
This tax revenue would go direct into police, NHS etc

In short, saying fine, you want to do meth in the comfort of your own home, fine. But you need to prove some level of understanding, self control / responsible use. If you can't use it without causing harm / problems to others, then the increased cost on society will be brought onto those who consume those things.

I'd love it if people could just have the freedom to do whatever. But time has proven we can't be trusted and there should be accountability and sustainability.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Pointless^^^

So much hassle for so little gain.

The drug lords would just add illicit booze to their portfolio.

If they think I am going to spend money on a license and then not be able to buy my bottle of rum, they can take a flying f. I'll just buy it from the local underground supplier.

https://bayourum.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/The-Next-Generation-of-Spiced-Rums-720x720-article-720x500.jpg

Wub Wub Wasted Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with making all drugs legal. I'm only saying for cannabis and psychedelics, which are relatively safe and don't tend to cause problems in society.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't agree with making all drugs legal. I'm only saying for cannabis and psychedelics, which are relatively safe and don't tend to cause problems in society.

Shall I tell you about the pot heads I've known, that have lost their homes and families, or ended up in prison, or have turned into paranoid schizophrenics, or, like the bloke I work with now, suffered from massive mood swings, to the point where he has a tendency to throw things across the workshop or pick fights with his employers, normally when he's had to go all day without a joint?

I could go on, but I won't and I will also point out that lots of people end up the same way when alcohol is involved, but I don't think there are many people that will try and argue that alcohol is safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it depends more on the user than the substance. I smoked weed for years without problems. Equally to your tale of horror, I've known many cannabis users who have and cause no problems. Alcohol is the same. Some folks have no problems with it, others become a menace. If cannabis is illegal on the basis of what you are saying, so too should alcohol be.

Note also I said "relatively" safe.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 00:07 - 31 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of cannabis at all, it makes me feel dull as dishwater.

It should be legal though. It's blatantly not any kind of public menace, and if legalised there would be no black market or 'gang' aspect either.

Hell, the world should go the way of Portugal. All drugs legalised for about 15 years over there, and if you get caught with any you're recommended to a rehab clinic (if needed). Needless to say, things have improved greatly over there.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I'm not a fan of cannabis at all, it makes me feel dull as dishwater.

It should be legal though. It's blatantly not any kind of public menace, and if legalised there would be no black market or 'gang' aspect either.

Hell, the world should go the way of Portugal. All drugs legalised for about 15 years over there, and if you get caught with any you're recommended to a rehab clinic (if needed). Needless to say, things have improved greatly over there.

Really? everything? I am surprised.

Actually I'm even more surprised the EU hasn't got a common policy for drugs because if I live in Spain and want something. what's to stop me nipping over to Portugal to buy my stash?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:31 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have not legalised any drugs. Portugal decriminalised possession for personal use quantities which they define as 10 days supply,. Dealers still go to prison.

If you're caught with a personal use quantity then they'll take your drugs and you have to go to some discussion place about drug addiction. If you want help stopping then that what you get and if you don't want to stop then they'll help you with harm reduction. The people running those discussion places can impose penalties for possession but that only happens in a minority of cases.

Use has gone down, their approach has massively reduced the number of deaths and they've big reduction in the spread of HIV and the like from dirty needles. Generally speaking, the bad things from drug use have decreased, the number of 'new users' has decreased which is an important measure of drug policies.

They treat drug use as a medical problem rather than a criminal problem. It's about harm reduction above everything else and they accept the fact the criminalising drug use doesn't help.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, it's not legalised, but is treated very differently to what most of us are used to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/05/why-hardly-anyone-dies-from-a-drug-overdose-in-portugal/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:36 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Pointless really, Big corps that are pushing for it get richer / dodge tax

while the NHS picks up the tab for smoking related illnesses all the while people are losing their mind to the substance

Smokers contribute a substantial revenue for the NHS from tobacco tax.

Hopefully they don't live long enough and succumb to one of the many smoking related illnesses before they are able to soak up the investment. Shifty

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or like a bloke I know who really doesn't have a problem - he simply enjoys cannabis.
He and a bunch of us were in Bakewell in the middle of summer. We'd parked in a large open and busy car park at mid day which was heaving with visitors. This bloke needed a fix. He climbed from the car, shoved a bud into some contraption he'd made from a drinks can and ignited his fix to inhale. Dozens of people stood there with jaws on the floor watching him. I questioned his sanity. His response was classic: "Yeah but I only smoke buds and none of that horrible tobacco stuff". I reminded him that he'd just inhaled the plastic lining from inside the drinks can too. It was like talking to a brick wall.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether a good or bad thing no government is going to start legalising drugs in my view.

The opposition would have a field day saying crime will soar and anti social behaviour will become the norm and there are enough anti drugs people who will believe that for it to be political suicide.

It won't happen unless all the major partys come out with a joint policy and that aint going to happen either. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Whether a good or bad thing no government is going to start legalising drugs in my view.

What about those states in the US who have?
And they are now allowing research into psychedelics also, after a 20-odd year hiatus.
The US has largely driven worldwide drugs policies, so once they've crumbled...
Once they get used to the tax revenues, they'll probably never ban them again.

There are a number of countries where cannabis has traditionally been a cash crop, so the authorities, despite being signatories to UN drug policies (again, largely driven by the US) mostly turn a blind eye.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

What about those states in the US who have?
And they are now allowing research into psychedelics also, after a 20-odd year hiatus.
The US has largely driven worldwide drugs policies, so once they've crumbled...
Once they get used to the tax revenues, they'll probably never ban them again.

There are a number of countries where cannabis has traditionally been a cash crop, so the authorities, despite being signatories to UN drug policies (again, largely driven by the US) mostly turn a blind eye.

But US state legislation is very different from central government in the UK. Trump can't be held responsible if Alabama legalises cannabis.

Sadly the County of Buckinghamshire doesn't have the power to legalise cannabis so Boris will definitely be held responsible if UK does the same.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Boris will definitely be held responsible if UK does the same.

Responsible for what?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Or like a bloke I know who really doesn't have a problem - he simply enjoys cannabis.
He and a bunch of us were in Bakewell in the middle of summer. We'd parked in a large open and busy car park at mid day which was heaving with visitors. This bloke needed a fix. He climbed from the car, shoved a bud into some contraption he'd made from a drinks can and ignited his fix to inhale. Dozens of people stood there with jaws on the floor watching him. I questioned his sanity. His response was classic: "Yeah but I only smoke buds and none of that horrible tobacco stuff". I reminded him that he'd just inhaled the plastic lining from inside the drinks can too. It was like talking to a brick wall.

Sorry was that in Bakewell or Well Baked? 🤔

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXGpVi-YRs

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
my bottle of rum

What, no Wood's, or Pusser's?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
I've often thought that ALL drugs should be legal

I'd legitimise the lot. Anything you want, you can have, and it can be sold by chemists or wherever at a reasonable price (less than "illegal" price).

However.

I'd also have severe sanctions for doing anything against the law in pursuit of the stuff, anything against the law while under the influence of the stuff: these sanctions to be at least as severe as for anyone doing such things while not under the influence. I might have other legal safeguards too, e.g. for employers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Boris will definitely be held responsible if UK does the same.

Responsible for what?

In the eyes of the electorate.

If Boris legalised drugs and I was Labour I'd be down his throat with accusations like 'selling yourself to the devil' 'making money out of peoples misery' 'encouraging anti social behaviour' 'increasing drug use' 'easier for school kids to get hold of' etc. etc.

It doesn't have to be true, it has to strike the right note with a large group of conservatives who will already be appalled at what he has done, be foreseeing 'The Purge' coming to our streets and he, and the Tories are toast.

I'm no PR guru but I guarantee I could PR a general election win for a party opposing another legalising drugs.

The difference in America is states can try this out and it doesn't affect the main parties. They can say it's up to the state what policies it puts in place.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
my bottle of rum

What, no Wood's, or Pusser's?

Spiced ones my friend. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXGpVi-YRs

Very Happy

How many people on the planet? 7.5B
How many people has he 'helped'? Thousands.

It will require a few hundred generations to 'significantly' improve human brain function.
When we all think like reasonable beings and not as cavemen?

Of course there are better methods of learning (ramming shit into a greyish gel) but that is experience not intelligence per se.

How many Internet Intellectuals do we have now-a-days?

I'd hazard a guess that general knowledge has taken a hit due to thew ease of finding info on t' Internet.

Ban Google searches.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Shame really. As it would be a great source of new income for any Government.
Would have a benefit of taking out a lot of criminal activity, drug gangs etc.
Could also be regulated to ensure users are not abusing the drugs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

In the eyes of the electorate.

If Boris legalised drugs and I was Labour I'd be down his throat with accusations like 'selling yourself to the devil' 'making money out of peoples misery' 'encouraging anti social behaviour' 'increasing drug use' 'easier for school kids to get hold of' etc. etc.

It doesn't have to be true, it has to strike the right note with a large group of conservatives who will already be appalled at what he has done, be foreseeing 'The Purge' coming to our streets and he, and the Tories are toast.

I'm no PR guru but I guarantee I could PR a general election win for a party opposing another legalising drugs.

The difference in America is states can try this out and it doesn't affect the main parties. They can say it's up to the state what policies it puts in place.

These are the very reasons the public are turning their backs on politicians. They have agendas instead of reason. But they're fooling less of the people less of the time.

Actually, I could see legalisation going by county, no reason that couldn't work.

But again, responsible for what, exactly? How about some detail?

Last edited by chickenstrip on 17:03 - 31 Jul 2019; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Ban Google searches.

Depends on how you use them.

Wait...are you one of those people who are afraid of intellectuals? Or shall we say, afraid of people who are smarter than you? Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5