Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Idea for Honda OBD2 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Idea for Honda OBD2 Project Reply with quote

So I looks like I'll be riding about on a Honda Rebel by next week. Hmm... not much I'll need to do to a new bike surely?

Hehe, well not mechanically but after test riding and reading reviews most ppl cite the lack of a gear shift indicator (I iz n00b) and rev counter as being somewhat... annoying. I notice that you can plug things into the OBD2 plug under the seat like a shift indicator or a rev counter. No idea what you do if you want both!

In an ideal world I think I'd like a rev counter, shift indicator and coolant temp readout... maybe a clock, and so on.

I turned up this:

https://gonzos.net/projects/ctx-obd/

Where a guy interfaces a Raspberry Pi to a CTX-700 but he's got like web interfaces to smart phones and all sorts!

I'm thinking it would be more flexible to hack an off the shelf Bluetooth OBD interface to work with the red Honda plug and bolt a cheap Android phone onto the handlebars with something like the Torque app.

Anyone had any luck doing such a thing?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't look at the clocks when riding... so it would not be an issue. Perhaps try that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it. You are overthinking things. You don't need any autistic bolt on crap. You don't even really need clocks at all. Just get on with riding the thing.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo, maybe a neutral light. Indicators? Sure. That's it. Learn the bike, not the instruments.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you deaf?.... no!........ then listen to your engine, it will tell you when you need to change gear.
Develop the skill of listening to your engine, it called mechanical sympathy/empathy.
People have ridden millions of bikes for decades without a gear indicator, try it , it’s not that hard.

If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cota has no instruments. The Seven-Fifty's speedo cable snapped probably a deacade ago... I 'think' I stuck a new one on a bits order from DSS some years back, but I have never really missed it... or got a speeding ticket.. so never 'really' been an imperative.

Judge speed by other traffic and wind in your face.
Judge revs by how load the engine be
Judge coolant temperature? Err, yeah, this is the UK... listen to the weather forcast!
Indicator repeaters? Cant you actually see the lamps from where you sit?
Gear Possition? WTF? Need acceleration, change down! If not, see comment vis speedo, and or change up! Onlyt the Neutral Warnbing lamp is moderately halpful, and oft not that useful, especiallu on dee Italian Traactor!!!
Oil Pressure Warning, might be the most useful, but even there... had the sump-plug unwind (found it on the collector!), once, but even that almost total los of lube didn't make lamp come on... swuirming about of back tyre was more alerting!
What else I got on the dash? Odometer and trip? Err, see comment vis speedo cable. Moderatly useful if they worked for keeping track of fill ups and oil-changes.. Ignition/Alternator? Probably the most udeful bit of instrumentation... but then only if I have taken the key out of the ignition barel, without swithing ign 'off' 'cos lock worn!

You can live without evenb the most BASIC crap on an old bike... if you want all that chit.... take the effin car, and the missus to yell at you you are too close, to fast, too 'wrong'... whole point of a bike is to leave ALL this chit behind NOT take it with you.... loose the dumb-phone whilst you are at it... too

Take a paper map, or get lost and call it an adventure/exploring.... THAT is what a bike is all about.... NOT how many damn APPs you wired into!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:15 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could go full autist and try that.

No, it won't work very well. You'll always be fiddling with the phone to make shit work, and then the wet or noise, vibration and harshness will kill the OBD plug, the phone, or the phone holder.

If an OBD based aftermarket dash for bikes made sense, people would be using them. In reality, bikes make for a hostile environment for that sort of thing, so anything that works is going to be expensive.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip: if because reasons you want a rev counter then the best solution is to buy a bike that has a rev counter. Laughing

Gear shift indicator? Folded arms

Coolant temperature? Folded arms

Clock? Leave earlier. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:38 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap android device with bright screen or fastish e-ink screen and there's loads of options.

But yes, "JFRI".

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH none of the things cited would be looked at beyond a cursory glance from time to time it's more the challenge of making sh*t work. I could spend many hours constructing a tiny little Arduino LCD thingy and then probably never look at it on the bike!

I had a rev counter on the Superlight and the only time I looked at it was as a sanity check when the throttle seemed to stick open. (Cleaned the throttle body and it was fine after that.) Again with the shift light I added it was a sanity check pulling away "hang on, am I in the wrong gear?" 3 on display "...yes I am."

All just a confirmation of expected stupidity. Having said that a warning light that the coolant temperature was well up could actually save some pennies in the long run but even so that's a crutch for not checking over the bike properly before heading out.

Calculating MPG and expected range left in the tank would also be a neat trick but as my commute is ~15 miles - a little pointless.

Apologies then, I shall try and dial down the autism Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to mark the speedo with a little pen or some stickers at where the max power rpm is in each gear. There's several ways of finding that out.

As for fuel range, do a fill up and stick a small petrol can filled too on the back. Ride it really hard on a strong windy day until it runs out of fuel, and there's your range.

Wanting to keep track of each tank full in terms of target range or mpg chasing is pointless. Once you know the worst case mpg of your bike and the size of the tank, then you don't need to give it another thought.

I'm sure you know this, but what I'm not sure is if the fiddling Autist curiosity impulses in the way your brain is wired will let you leave it alone?

I won't be surprised if you do something daft like build your own air/fuel ratio meter or CHT reading and go out monitoring every ride with all your needless gadgets etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave it alone.

If you're going for dealer servicing, stick to their schedule and keep all the service history. If you're doing it all yourself, change the oil as often as Honda specifies, keep an eye on your tyres, brake pads and chain, ride it and stick ACF-50 on over the winter. Repeat next year.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I won't be surprised if you do something daft like build your own air/fuel ratio meter or CHT reading and go out monitoring every ride with all your needless gadgets etc.

Oh yes, I'd have a lot of fun building it but it wouldn't get looked at after that Smile The word "monitoring" is up there with "trainspotting" Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:05 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's easier to mark the speedo with a little pen or some stickers

Thinking

I've got some stickers which would be perfect for that. Mr. Green

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...and at 12,000 rpm the bike is for rectal use only." Shocked

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X eh?

hmmmmm

Y'know?
Cant help thinking Easy-X sounds like some sort of
laxative or rectal lubricant.

Hey, if your into that sort of thing that's fine
This is BCF we dont judge Wink
but if you want roll the dice on another moniker that's fine too.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Easy-X eh?

hmmmmm

Y'know?

It's not just me!
I was thinking this cool lad who's a cowboy at heart but a real stud with the girls. Decides to make his fortune and heads to the big city. Cinema scene follows!

Why the name change? Surely something like 'More Honda' would better??

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number plate ends "EZX" I thought it had a nice ring to it Smile

Anyway, no one was taking me seriously with the previous moniker so I thought it was time for a re-branding exercise Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Easy-X eh?

hmmmmm

Y'know?

And for some reason ppl previously associated me with arseless chaps!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Lax wrote:
The number plate ends "EZX" I thought it had a nice ring to it Smile

Anyway, no one was taking me seriously

We're all gonna take you real seriously now

Seriously

We are

No seriously, I mean it, we are

Seriously though, in all seriousness we really are taking you seriously

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Honda Rebel are you getting?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
What Honda Rebel are you getting?

There is only the one type sold in the UK: CMX 500 Smile

(not one of the old 250cc ones if that's what you were wondering.)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
There is only the one type sold in the UK: CMX 500 Smile

(not one of the old 250cc ones if that's what you were wondering.)

Christ! Looks like the type of bike a bloke wearing 'arseless chaps' would ride..

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/central/motorcycles/street/cmx500-rebel-2017/Honda-CMX500Rebel-Overview05-1x1.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/c2.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Christ! Looks like the type of bike a bloke wearing 'arseless chaps' would ride..

Well that's a relief, thought I'd have to sell them on eBay Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look too bad to me tbh!

1, No chrome Thumbs Up

2, fairly understated and with a parallel twin presumably quite revvy motor like the CBR500. Thumbs Up

3, no silly ultra high chopper bars, and no daft side mounted number plate. Thumbs Up

It's a far better looking bike than something like a Ducati Diaval IMO, and it doesn't look like it's sacrificing too much comfort and geometry and handling in the name of style.

Might be a decent little bike, if there's a reasonable amount of ground clearance too?

Then again I haven't said it looks like an assless leathers bum sex queers convention, so I guess I must be the most boring sad cunt in the world for not doing so?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2