Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Indicators and hazards failed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Indicators and hazards failed Reply with quote

I ride a 2018 Honda CBR650F A couple of days ago I booked my bike in to get new tyres.

The same day, on my way home from work, my indicators stopped working. I gave the bike a quick check when I got home. Everything was working fine, except indicators and hazards. The lights on the dash didn't come on, and neither did the indicators.

I didn't have time to poke around with a voltmeter myself so figured I could ask the shop to check what was wrong while they change my tyres.

Today (two days later) I went to take my bike to the shop (riding with hand signals), but the engine light and ABS light came on. After about 1 mile thr ABS light went out but the engine light stayed on.

Everything else appears 100% ok.

I hope to have the answer to what is going on later today but in the meantime, do you have any thoughts? I was wondering whether internal wiring could have corroded (I ride all winter) causing the indicator fault and perhaps this is causing the battery to get low, hence the ABS light on at first but later ok.

We shall see. I hope I can ride the bike soon. I've been borrowing my mate's ER-6F and it's just not the same as my own bike...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the two are related unless the ABS/engine use the same relay/fuse as the indicators.

For the indicators look for a blown fuse. If not a fuse, bypass the relay and see if they come on when turned on. Whilst bypassed they won't flash.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional altitude Thumbs Up
It's just possible taking the wheels out somehow damaged your wiring.
I assume you weren't there to observe any unfortunate incident like it falling or almost falling off stands.
I have seen some rough ways to lift bikes by people who should know better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Additional altitude Thumbs Up
It's just possible taking the wheels out somehow damaged your wiring.
I assume you weren't there to observe any unfortunate incident like it falling or almost falling off stands.
I have seen some rough ways to lift bikes by people who should know better.

Ah, yeah... I wasn't clear with my initial post
I only booked the bike in to get tyres, then these things went wrong. I hadn't actually got the tyres yet.

Anyway. I've got the bike back. The Avon Storm 3D tyres are great. Indicators still not working. Same warning lights coming on. The shop plugged the bike in to their diagnostics and got "Instrument Panel Communication Anomaly". They suggested I treat it as a warranty issue and take it up with Honda.

I've booked it in with the Honda dealer but they can't look at the bike for 3 weeks.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've booked it in with the Honda dealer but they can't look at the bike for 3 weeks.

Typical, Foulups I assume?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:01 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Typical, Foulups I assume?

They can't help how busy they are....

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the situation:

I found a fuse had gone,. Once I replaced it everything was working fine again so I foolishly cancelled the servicing at Honda. Foolish because as soon as it rained heavily the same fuse failed again.

I guess something is shorting out when it gets wet. With the massive experience of bike problems on these forums I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas where I could start looking for this problem. Any likely "problem spots"? Maybe water pooling somewhere and creating a bridge, or worn wires?

On the plus side I can just replace the fuse when the bike is dry and ride it as a fair weather bike, the irony being that I just put rain tyres on it. Ha.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:19 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 bike. Under warranty. Why should you be fucking on with the wiring on a new bike.

Get back onto them and ask them what they are going to do about it. In my book, a 3 week wait to fix your bike is unacceptable. You paid a huge premium to have a brand new bike, what is the point if they are going to take 3 weeks to even look at a simple electrical fault?

First place I'd check is up under the mudguard/subframe to see if any of the wiring to the back end has dropped down and rubbed on the tyre.

Chafing round the headstock is common as are wires trapped under bits of bodywork, the seat latch or between the tank and the frame/airbox.
The fact it's happening in the wet suggests it's somewhere exposed to water though so that tends to rule out under the tank or behind panels.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
2018 bike. Under warranty. Why should you be fucking on with the wiring on a new bike.

Get back onto them and ask them what they are going to do about it. In my book, a 3 week wait to fix your bike is unacceptable. You paid a huge premium to have a brand new bike, what is the point if they are going to take 3 weeks to even look at a simple electrical fault?

That, I'd expect them to provide a cover bike.. I wouldn't be fucking with a bike under warranty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

That, I'd expect them to provide a cover bike.. I wouldn't be fucking with a bike under warranty.

For contrast, how a motor vehicle warranty SHOULD be done. My Dads 18 month old Jaguar F-pace came up with an ABS warning light last week. He called up and there was a mechanic out to his house within an hour to look at it who decided it needed to be seen at the dealers. They put it on a flatbed, drove him and the car to the dealership and gave him a Discovery Sport to drive while they fixed it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the headstock things can rub, damp in a connector often causes problems but rare for that to blow fuses - which suggests more or less direct short to earth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1