Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS125 carb issues?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:55 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Aprilia RS125 carb issues? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I have an Aprilia RS125, 2005 model, full power (derestricted arrow exhaust, modded CDI, powervalve with RAVE unit, Pipercross panel filter).

I'm having real trouble getting the bike to start, and even more trouble getting it to run. The bike starts of its own accord maybe 50 percent of the time. The other 50 percent, I have to use a syringe to inject a couple of millilitres of petrol straight into the barrel before it will start.

When it does start, it struggles to rev past ~5k, and on its way to 5k its very spluttery and weak.

The bike is sparking just fine. I have had the reed system, carb, and air filter out and cleaned thoroughly. The spark plug is oil-fouled, which I believe (and I could well be wrong) is because the bike isn't getting enough fuel? I took the card off again today, gave it a good clean, and put a larger jet in it (140) and my problem persists. I have played with the idle and mixture screws for hours, and have tried the needle on all of it's notches, to no avail. The filter is brand new, as are the reed petals and spark plug. I changed the coil recently as I wanted to be sure that it was sparking correctly, and it is.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next! Do I need a 34mm carb? The weird thing is that when I inject petrol straight into the head, I'll get one perfect rev, where the bike will willingly hit the redline if I let it, and then it 'bogs' down again, and won't do it again unless I inject a relatively large amount of fuel directly to the head. I have checked the fuel line, it's free and clear. The float bowl fills with fuel as it should. But even with the 140 (I tried a 145 and it was no better) jet it doesn't want to play ball. The carb had a 120 main jet as standard, and I've tried a 130, 135, 140, and 145 and none of them have helped. I've tried setting the carb back to stock with the 120 main jet and the screws set to around 1 and a half turns out.

Am I missing something? Is it possible that I just have a duff carb?

I've spent the last week reading posts on various forums, especially the ones marked as solved, and nothing seems to have worked for me. I'm new to carbs and 2 strokes. I've had plenty of 4 stroke bikes, and only ever had an issue with a carb on one of them and it was easy. But the carb on my Aprilia is baffling me. I just can't seem to get it working properly. It's a Dell'Orto PHBH28 BD, by the way.

I'm not looking for someone to serve me a solution on a silver platter, but even just a hint as to what could be going wrong would be a godsend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there's a mesh filter on the carb somewhere where the fuel goes into it, cant remember really but my mates superteen race bike had a problem that was down to this

OGR

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:48 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it back to a stock bike. Then you’ll be able to ride it and sell the mods on eBay .
No grief, a rideable bike Very Happy Very Happy

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Think there's a mesh filter on the carb somewhere where the fuel goes into it, cant remember really but my mates superteen race bike had a problem that was down to this

OGR

I noticed the filter when I stripped the carb down, but it didn't seem to want to come out. I'll give it another go today. Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have any 2-stroke oil in, is the autolube working, and when was it last rebuilt?

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS125 carb issues? Reply with quote

Danonymoose wrote:
Do I need a 34mm carb?

For the de-restricted version, yes you do.
Also, what spark plug are you using?

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Does it have any 2-stroke oil in, is the autolube working, and when was it last rebuilt?

It has 2 stroke oil (Castrol TTS). Recently drained the oil res and refilled with fresh oil. Autolube is working as far as I can tell. It was rebuilt a couple of months ago, but hasn't been run much since. It ran fine a while while it was being run in, and then all of a sudden the issues I mentioned set in.

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:42 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS125 carb issues? Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
Danonymoose wrote:
Do I need a 34mm carb?

I thought as much. From what I read though, there didn't seem to be a consensus either way. Some people saying a 34mm is absolutely necessary for a full power bike, while others are saying it's overkill and only necessary for track days and the like.

I currently have a BR9 (non-iridium) in there. The bike originally had a BR10 until I swapped them out to see if it made any difference,

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it working properly before you changed the plug?

Has it ever worked properly?

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Was it working properly before you changed the plug?

Has it ever worked properly?

No, the plug change was just to see if it made a difference, which it didn't. I've tried it with the BR10 and the BR9, and there is no perceptible difference.

Yes, it has worked in the past, but that was before the derestricted pipe was put on it. Like I said in my original question, if I inject some fuel into the head, it runs perfectly until it has burned through the fuel. Revs freely. But then it goes back to bogging down, and acts as if it's getting too much fuel, which seems impossible seeing as it had a 120 main jet in the carb when this started, and a 145 makes no difference.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oily spark plug, bogging down, only runs well if you squirt fuel in the carb?

Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel! You've cleaned the carb? Great! Clean it again Smile Also have you pulled the fuel pipe off the carb? Is fuel pissing out of the pipe... basic stuff Wink

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:24 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Oily spark plug, bogging down, only runs well if you squirt fuel in the carb?

Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel! You've cleaned the carb? Great! Clean it again Smile Also have you pulled the fuel pipe off the carb? Is fuel pissing out of the pipe... basic stuff Wink

This is what's baffling me. It seems like a simple fuel issue. I've cleaned the carb three times now, and I don't think it could be any cleaner. If I pull the fuel pipe off the carb, yeah, fuel flows freely out of it. If I undo the float bowl/main jet bolt, the bowl will have plenty of fuel in it. I have to squirt fuel directly into the spark plug hole to get any kind of response from the bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stopped working when you changed it for a different pipe?

Clearly needs rejetting to suit the new pipe.

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:39 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It stopped working when you changed it for a different pipe?

Clearly needs rejetting to suit the new pipe.

That's the conclusion that I came to. Most of the people online I've seen asking the same question have settled for much smaller (though larger than the stock 120) jet) jets than the 145 I tried.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:02 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been standing and just to humor us, whats the compression figure on it now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS125 carb issues? Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:

You might want to check the accuracy of your advice, and if you're right you better ring up and tell the Italian 125 production race champions like Rossi once was that they were all riding restricted bikes and doing it wrong.

It would be a bit funny if a kid riding his bike to work/college needs a 34mm carb, yet a championship winning SP machine (after 92?) only needs a 28mm (restricted) carb wouldn't it? Wink

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:24 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS125 carb issues? Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
andy_uk wrote:

You might want to check the accuracy of your advice, and if you're right you better ring up and tell the Italian 125 production race champions like Rossi once was that they were all riding restricted bikes and doing it wrong.

It would be a bit funny if a kid riding his bike to work/college needs a 34mm carb, yet a championship winning SP machine (after 92?) only needs a 28mm (restricted) carb wouldn't it? Wink

This is exactly why I asked. Some people saying that it's an absolute necessity to have a 34mm carb, others saying it isn't, and it's only really a requirement for a big bore kit. I've seen several bikes at full power with a 28mm and they seem fine. I've just bought a carb repair kit with all the o rings and seals etc, so I'll be rebuilding it a fifth time when that arrives 😂🤷

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tuning mod, and you need an engine that's already 30bhp+ to even see a tiny benefit from a larger carb, as 28mm can support over 30bhp.

If you're trying to tune an already well modified 125 two stroke to the ragged edge then it's fine, but the std carb isn't a restriction part as long as the slide is opening fully.

But please don't listen to me, better go check with Andy as he seems to know something even the factory doesn't know?

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But please don't listen to me, better go check with Andy as he seems to know something even the factory doesn't know?

I was merely quoting what I had read elsewhere when I was looking at de-restricting my RS125 engined bike...

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's a tuning mod, and you need an engine that's already 30bhp+ to even see a tiny benefit from a larger carb, as 28mm can support over 30bhp.

If you're trying to tune an already well modified 125 two stroke to the ragged edge then it's fine, but the std carb isn't a restriction part as long as the slide is opening fully.

I'm fairly new to 2 strokes (had one as a kid, always worked fine for the time that I had it) and carbs are pretty new to me, as everything that I've had previously has either worked fine, or been EFI. All I can do is listen to people's advice and weigh it up against what other people are saying.

I'm not trying to tune it to the ragged edge. I'm not even chasing numbers. If it's only making 20bhp that's fine. Right now, I'd just like a bike that runs! The slide opens fully. I've stripped and cleaned the carb multiple times now. It's absolutely spotless clean, and everything (Needle, jets, slide, float, choke etc) is pristine. The only thing I can think is that maybe something isn't sitting quite right, which is why I've bought a new mesh filter for the fuel inlet, and a carb rebuild kit so I can replace all the seals. The reed block is fine, not perished. The reed petals are new, as is the air filter. I've just bought a compression tester, although I'm sure (famous last words, I know) that the compression is fine.

I appreciate any and all advice and help, unless it turns out to be rubbish. Like I said, I'm new to 2 strokes and carbs, so I'm learning as I go, and if someone gives me bad advice and I follow it, at least I'll have learned what not to do next time, right?

Cheers

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
How long has it been standing and just to humor us, whats the compression figure on it now.

I'm asking as I had a bike with a fresh build but laid up for a short time.

But also you want to know those figures.

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:15 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I'm asking as I had a bike with a fresh build but laid up for a short time.

But also you want to know those figures.

It's been standing for around 6 weeks. It had a rebuild a couple of months ago, and was only ridden a few miles to the MOT station and back.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:22 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not run in at all, what figures do you have on compression tests, without putting stuff down the bore.

6bweeks probably isn't enough for anything to really dry out seal wise but it doesn't sound like it's been used much to really say...

Mine was fine at low rpm and then was shite afterwards, maybe up to about 9k, then it shifted but was always crap. Then it shat itself.

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:34 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
So it's not run in at all, what figures do you have on compression tests, without putting stuff down the bore.

6bweeks probably isn't enough for anything to really dry out seal wise but it doesn't sound like it's been used much to really say...

Mine was fine at low rpm and then was shite afterwards, maybe up to about 9k, then it shifted but was always crap. Then it shat itself.

I haven't got any figures on compression tests yet, as I'm waiting for my compression tester to arrive.

No, it isn't run at all. It's only done 12 miles since the rebuild. It ran fine (as fine as a freshly rebuilt engine can) for the MOT trip, and then was stood for around 6 weeks, and hasn't run right since.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 07:59 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you're getting lots of tricky questions is because its an RS125. People cock around with them, so there could be a bigger underlying problem.

If the bike is in otherwise good and standard-ish condition, then the only change required should be setting up the fuelling to match the new pipe. A bigger carb is not necessary to make it run right, but may (or may not) be required to get maximum power.

What is necessary is getting the carb set up to match the pipe. Sometimes the pipe comes with recommended carb settings, sometimes you can find it in forums. Either way, if you've gone up from 120 to 145 on the main jet, you should raise the needle height at least one position as well. The needle is really controlling the fuelling between one quarter and three quarters throttle opening.

Of course, it's an RS125, so someone could have messed with it. Common things include messing with the oil pump, disconnecting the autolube entirely and running pre-mix, and poorly done top end rebuilds.

So you want to do a compression check (on wide open throttle), and really make sure that the oiling is working properly. If it is blocked off, disconnected, or has air in the lines, problem.

Finally, if the trouble started just after filling up with petrol, that's a sign that it was running on pre-mix before and you've just trashed your engine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2