Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parenting: 2yo Stool Witholding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Parenting: 2yo Stool Witholding Reply with quote

Anyone got any experience of this?

Pumped him full of laxitives and the little guy is still holding with all his might. He's crying in pain each time. It's not fun to see, don't really know what I can do to help.

Try convincing a 2yo that it's ok to let the poo out. He refuses to listen. Everything was fine until a week ago. He had an impacted stool which was causing a lot of pain, but following laxitives he's still refusing to let it out. It's impressive how strong his will is.

Just don't know what to do to help him. I've scoured the internet and been to docs and even read a book on the subject. Real world experience of having gone through it is what i'm missing.

Any helpful advice is welcomed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the doctor say? Were "french" medicines suggested?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six pints of Guinness normally sorts me out. Thumbs Up

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Doctors are reluctant to do anything until it's a problem for more than a few weeks. Just chucked me a load of meds.

Just going to have to keep the meds going. Surprising how stressful this is. I know it's a trivial issue but watching your son in constant pain is hard to deal with. It's been over a week now

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him some Trinidad Scorpions, they'll flush his system out.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Give him some Trinidad Scorpions, they'll flush his system out.

Knew I could rely on bcf for some sage advice Laughing

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:19 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put him in a warm bath, then gently massage his belly, be prepared for a serious clean up after Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soapy enema if feeling brave Sick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Doctors are reluctant to do anything until it's a problem for more than a few weeks. Just chucked me a load of meds.

Just going to have to keep the meds going. Surprising how stressful this is. I know it's a trivial issue but watching your son in constant pain is hard to deal with. It's been over a week now

I don't think it's a trivial issue. I've been thinking back... perhaps this simple advice is helpful? https://www.nhsaaa.net/media/1580/20170222faecimpac.pdf I think you'll have to just keep very calm (especially to your son) and carry on. Maybe french medicine later (e.g. glycerine suppositories) IF your GP says...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:58 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many courics do you think it will be?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.
Yes had direct experience of it. Was my step daughter who was around 4 at the time. She'd become constipated and had caused a tiny split in her bottom. From then on the idea of pooping was hated by her. Long story short she became impacted.
Docs were excellent - we'd tried everything. In the end even suppositories failed and it was enema time..
Docs prescribed one enema. Instructions were not to use all of it and only to use a very small amount.
Must admit that seeing the bairn in so much discomfort was tough.
In the end her mother, my mother in law and my own mother grabbed the bairn and just did it - I was told it was a tiny amount of enema. They then placed the bairn on the loo and waited..
Didn't take long - just minutes. The days and days of laxatives and suppositories had softened everything and no damage was done with this giant poop.
Within ten minutes the bairn was playing with friends in the street as if nothing had happened.

You really need to push at doctors for this. It does happen and sometimes badly. So bad that docs need to provide that last bit of help. Seriously, go see a doc at hospital or something.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to give ours fresh orangejuice when bunged. Usually did the trick....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glycerin suppositories. Thumbs Up

Shocked

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, also had first hand experience of this, it's not pleasant, and it can quite often lead to longer term problems. Go to the doctor's, initially likely to be put on movicol pediatric, or whatever the generic equivalent is. You'll also get a 'pooh chart', dietry advise, and techniques for helping the kid relax. You may get referred to an NHS Children's & Adolescent Services centre, where you'll end up visiting regularly for check-ups.

Hope you don't get as far as the suppository requirement, it's not pleasant, either for you or your nipper.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah had this with one of mine (kids, not turds) about 25 years ago. Horrible to deal with but it's not particularly uncommon.
linuxyeti wrote:
Hope you don't get as far as the suppository requirement, it's not pleasant, either for you or your nipper.

I think it might have been glycerine suppositories which sorted out my kid. That part (ie insertion) really isn't at all unpleasant for a kid of that age, providing the parent doesn't freak out about it... it's only when mum or dad starts flapping around and making a big deal out of it that the kid panics, clenches, and has to be held down or something Shocked (see also - stupid parents in dentist's waiting rooms or waiting for vaccinations, winding up their kids to a frenzy of terror)

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Parenting: 2yo Stool Witholding Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Anyone got any experience of this?

Yes, bane of my f'king life. My little'un was two when this started (now four, still not completely over it) - the general consensus is that he probably got a bit constipated/passed a big poo which caused discomfort which then put him off the idea of pooing.
He ended up with an impacted bowel - the hospital administered an enema, which did make him go, but left the big blockage in place.
So the long term plan was to feed in a lot of movicol (doc put him on 8 sachets a day) - we were just getting 'blow-by' (where new, loose stool would get past the main blockage) - which did help because it eased the blockage nearer to the exit. Eventually (another 4~5 days) the blockage passed through with a lot of tears (after a warm bath) - it was like stone, genuinely rock hard! I don't know about him, but I certainly felt the relief when it finally popped out.

The doctor explained that he'd need to stay on some Movicol for another 6 months, because the blockage can cause part of the bowel to become a bit saggy - and prone to get blocked again, so the best thing is to keep the stools looser to allow the bowel to heal itself.
But two years on, he still holds them (not to the point of an impacted bowel though) - eventually lets go, (yesterday's one was 8 days in the making) - this is with one (sometimes two) Movicol per day too. He can go, he just decides to hold it - purely psychological now. The trouble is that he has little skidmarks where he's struggling to hold it in - but even then he refuses to go, _so_ frustrating. School starts next month, so we've been desperately trying to convince him to start going regularly (poo charts working towards treats etc help, but he's still stubborn)

So essentially it was discomfort which led to withholding, which led to an impacted bowel. Now it's all psychological, he's just holding it. (Weeing has never been an issue, never had an accident - it's all about the poo)

https://www.eric.org.uk/letstalkaboutpoo

But I feel your pain, hopefully it gets resolved quickly - but from what the doctors said, it's pretty common too.

Last edited by goto10 on 15:37 - 05 Aug 2019; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I think it might have been glycerine suppositories which sorted out my kid. That part (ie insertion) really isn't at all unpleasant for a kid of that age, providing the parent doesn't freak out about it... it's only when mum or dad starts flapping around and making a big deal out of it that the kid panics, clenches, and has to be held down or something Shocked (see also - stupid parents in dentist's waiting rooms or waiting for vaccinations, winding up their kids to a frenzy of terror)

My nipper was about 4, and was fully aware, what was happening, so, no, it wasn't pleasant. Oh, and we don't panic. Luckily she seems to be fully sorted now, more out of self regulation with her diet and fluid intakes, but, overall, it took about 6 years to be cured, however, even now, has the odd relapse. The problem is, faecal impaction, can cause the bowel to become enlarged. Either way, I would say your best course of action is to go to the doctors first and foremost.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add - I regularly catch him standing quietly in a corner or somewhere out of the way, I know he's pro-actively fighting/holding in a bowel movement - I say "Come on, let's go to the loo" - his reply is usually along the lines of "No, I'm just thinking" - he'll absolutely refuse to go, despite the fact it's _right there_ waiting to pop out. No amount of bargaining/talking will change his mind.

His constipation nurse (it's a thing) has said that it's best not to make a big deal about it - either when he's holding it or when he's done one (i.e. don't get the party poppers out and celebrate them), so we're currently doing the laissez faire approach - if he has a skidmark, just clean him up and not mention it, and when he does finally do a poo, just mention that it's good, but very low key. Essentially shrug off everything, so it removes any control that he may be exerting.

At the moment it feels like we'll be doing this when he's 18, but the nurse has assured me she's seen it lots of times and it's usually resolved whilst they're still young.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Just to add - I regularly catch him standing quietly in a corner or somewhere out of the way, I know he's pro-actively fighting/holding in a bowel movement - I say "Come on, let's go to the loo" - his reply is usually along the lines of "No, I'm just thinking" - he'll absolutely refuse to go, despite the fact it's _right there_ waiting to pop out. No amount of bargaining/talking will change his mind.

His constipation nurse (it's a thing) has said that it's best not to make a big deal about it - either when he's holding it or when he's done one (i.e. don't get the party poppers out and celebrate them), so we're currently doing the laissez faire approach - if he has a skidmark, just clean him up and not mention it, and when he does finally do a poo, just mention that it's good, but very low key. Essentially shrug off everything, so it removes any control that he may be exerting.

At the moment it feels like we'll be doing this when he's 18, but the nurse has assured me she's seen it lots of times and it's usually resolved whilst they're still young.

Party Poppers.

I'll have to admit that after launching a Brown Queen Mary on her maiden voyage down the pipe, I feel like broadcasting to folks about the achievement.

Statements such as "I'm feeling 3 stone lighter now."

Embarassed

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is one of these in the other end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSiFXhrxE3Y

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolate ice cream seems to make my daughter go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:07 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books. Many books about shitting. Many jokes about shitting. Fart loudly in front of him and blame it on his mother.

Toddlers are usually obsessed with shit and find it the funniest thing in the world.

Petting zoos are also good. Shitting animals everywhere.

Keep them hydrated to reduce future problems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:44 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorians would have dosed with castor oil twice a day until action.

Works both physically and psychologically. It's a genuine laxative but it also tastes utterly horriffic. Given the option of castor oil twice a day or pushing one out, most people would sit there until the job was done.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I broke my leg in the 80s and was more or less tied to a hospital bed for two weeks they didn't seem the least bit bothered so long as you could pee.
Eventually things got moving of their own accord, I pitied the rest of the ward.
It was utter bliss being able to use a normal toilet again soon after that.

The surprising thing was the volume and consistently was not particularly unusual.
(Too much information Razz Sick )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Victorians would have dosed with castor oil twice a day until action.

Works both physically and psychologically. It's a genuine laxative but it also tastes utterly horriffic. Given the option of castor oil twice a day or pushing one out, most people would sit there until the job was done.

Trinidad Scorpions would work in a similar way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2