Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Right brake slightly binding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Right brake slightly binding Reply with quote

Cbr6 2002 with Oe nissin 4 pot callipers. The front has had new discs, pads, callipers rebuilt and new fluid. Right disc and calliper are running hot - both around 50 degrees. Pushing the bike I can hear the right is rubbing (constant, no pulsing, it is not warped). Couple miles at slow speed, or 30 miles at high speed, its about the same. While the left disc is getting warm, the calliper stays cold, and is how I would expect it.

Previously (worn discs and pads) it would stay fairly cold unless I had just been doing hard braking.

Will this go away as the pads and disc wear in? Or have I got a fault somewhere - blocked master cylinder or such..

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dab of silicone grease on the seals helps with the backward travel of the brake pistons on assembly
Did you scrape out any of the crud that gets trapped in the seal groove of the caliper, I’m sure you would have .

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a blocked return hole in the master cylinder, both sides would be affected, so I doubt it's that.

From what I understand, it's the lip on the piston seal that very slightly flicks back the piston when you release the brake. This won't work properly if there's an obstruction (e.g. some dirt around the piston or seal, or a scored/nicked piston). Another cause of this problem may be hydraulic brake fluid that's no good because of molecular changes (e.g. it's old or got too hot once). There is also the possibility that you may have air in the right brake or in the brake line from the right brake up to the junction. Finally, old rubber brake hoses can do this, especially after they've been clamped with mini molegrips (developing cavities along the inside which misbehave irregularly).

It was more than one of these things on my project bike. It started as mild binding (still passed the MOT) and very quickly developed into an unusable and dangerous condition that threatened the disc with warping. Never pinned down exactly which faults it had, but by the time it was fixed, I had replaced all the brake lines, the master cylinder, the brake seals and flushed the brake fluid.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at most likely causes.
Shite build up in the pad slide areas. Old brake dust can bake to resemble metal.
Brake cleaner alone won't shift it and it needs a file or an old flat screwdriver to remove it.
Then a slight smear of an anti-seize copperslip molybdenum disulphate (or whatever it's real name is) paste. Sparingly as it can creep onto pads.
Wrong brake pads or incompatible pads. Metal backing plates do not have any clearance to slide freely.

If you've changed pad compound then it's prudent and recommended to remove the old pad residue from the surfaces of the discs too. Not a joyous or satisfying task but it will help your new pads to perform better.
Needs a few sheets of wet or dry.
I jacked the wheels up and drove the wheel around using my drilling machine and a buffer pad.
Don't go mental with the rpms your guaranteed to catch your fingers then. Embarassed
You should bed in the new pads too. Needs some moderate braking to warm up the pads and the discs.
Then hammer the brakes a few times to melt the material onto the discs.
If you can't resolve the binding issue then postpone the bed in.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has not resolved, calliper still getting hot. need to look at it today. I will pump pistons out, push back, see if one is sticking. Could test with worn pads and the pistons further out..
Everything was 100% clean, took fucking ages.red grease on dustt seals and assembledd with brake fluid. Worst case I will clean up the old calliper and swap it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bike with bent caliper once. With the old pads the brake worked fine, as they were adapted to the condition, but the moment I put fresh pads in, I had a problem.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip down the caliper properly, remove the pistons and seals, clean out the grooves the seals sit in.
This is normally the problem, corrosion buildup behind the seals, causing them to be compressed too tightly. If the seals are in good order refit with red Lockheed grease.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Has not resolved, calliper still getting hot. need to look at it today. I will pump pistons out, push back, see if one is sticking. Could test with worn pads and the pistons further out..
Everything was 100% clean, took fucking ages.red grease on dustt seals and assembledd with brake fluid. Worst case I will clean up the old calliper and swap it.

*** Warning : Random-ish poke in the dark***

If you remove the pads and carefully pump out the pistons then a wild guess would say the tight bastirt is the one/s that do not pump out.

Old stiff seals and as above, something built-up in the seal groove.

My Yamaha 600 Thundercunt was an arsehole for the front brakes sticking. Bike mechanic advised thorough cleaning with brake cleaner every few months.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always strip, clean and rebuild callipers when replacing pads. I never push dirty pistons back into the seals. They had just been rebuilt. Done 300 miles since.

There is a slight heat scoring mark on the disc, and small area of heat marking pea sized area of pad. Perhaps pads are not flat, visible that most of the pad has not bedded in yet.

Pumped pistons out, cleaned, pushed back in -this reveals any stiff one, but all the same. Repeat a few rimes, applying some red grease. Noted that spring clip was not sitting square and may be restricitng pad movement. Noted ebc pads are plasma cut, the edges are not square, possibly rubbing on calliper and not allowing spring clip to sit nicely. Ground edges flat. More clearance now.

Will test ride in a bit..

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fucking luck. Right calliper is still binding and getting hot. Looks like I spend tomorrow rebuilding the spare. I will do another test, Ive swapped pads for some nissins that are getting close to wear limit, therefore pistons will be further extended.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Strip down the caliper properly, remove the pistons and seals, clean out the grooves the seals sit in.
This is normally the problem, corrosion buildup behind the seals, causing them to be compressed too tightly. If the seals are in good order refit with red Lockheed grease.

This. Pull the main seals, scrape out the white crud.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

... It has already been done. The callipers are also annodised and had no corrosion. I do this yearly, and never push dirty pistons in, so the seal grooves were very clean anyway. I then cleaned seals in brake fluid, inspected carefully and reinserted.

I must be missing something. Callipers never usually get hot -discs do, but shouldnt transfer to calliper. Not this quick. It doesnt transfer normally when really abusing the brakes.

I will service the spares and swap asap.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:55 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the master cylinder, ensure the piston is backing right off and all the orifices in the fluid are clear and clean.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read you correctly, then you're reusing old seals. Piston seal gone bad? Seal put in facing the wrong way?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done 70 miles with the old pads. There is still some balance issue with the right doing more. Right disk is getting slightly hotter, but calliper much less. Perhaps 40c right, 30c left. With new pads, right was getting 60c, with no differwnce after hard braking or no braking.

Suspect disc is distorted - will get indicator set up and measure it - any suggestions best way as nothing for mag base?
Or, new pads are convex, causing high spots to stay in contact.

Seals are not sided. The groves are cut with a taper so that they sit at an angle. Doesnt matter which way the seals go in.
Master is clean. While I have no stripped it, fluid returns easily (unlike rear master!). It reverse filled with ease, and pistons push in with ease -without pushing surrounding pisons out.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine you'd feel a pulsing or judder if the disc was warped. To check runout on mine I mounted the dial gauge to the fork leg using a series of lab stands (metal rods with 90° clamps). Both discs were warped - one I managed to 'straighten' with a large adjustable spanner. The other would not take it so I replaced both.

How is the caliper mount/alignment?
Are the calipers fed by individual brake hoses from the master or by a single line split two ways?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking it is lateral runout, with braking effort swapping side every 180 degrees. May be able to fix by rotating disc on wheel. The mounting faces had slight burrs and corrosion which I cleaned up with a file. Doubt its enough to make a difference, but it will be easy enough to measure and fix.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the disc rotor has got very hot ,has it dished, distorted , use a straight edge to check.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
From what I understand, it's the lip on the piston seal that very slightly flicks back the piston when you release the brake. This won't work properly if there's an obstruction (e.g. some dirt around the piston or seal, or a scored/nicked piston).

You understand wrong.

The piston seal is a square section so as the brakes lever is compressed the piston movement deforms the seal, when you release the lever the pressure drops and the deformed seal pulls the piston back.

Virtually no bikes have a tapered seal contrary to what people on the tinterwebs seem to think.

Sounds like a stuck pad which is pretty common with new ones, the old will be worn down slightly by vibration while riding. May also be caused by a slightly oversize brake plate, corrosion on the caliper or a pitted pad pin, all easy enough to sort.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

You understand wrong.

The piston seal is a square section so as the brakes lever is compressed the piston movement deforms the seal, when you release the lever the pressure drops and the deformed seal pulls the piston back.

Interesting, thanks

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 31 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Im thinking it is lateral runout, with braking effort swapping side every 180 degrees. May be able to fix by rotating disc on wheel. The mounting faces had slight burrs and corrosion which I cleaned up with a file. Doubt its enough to make a difference, but it will be easy enough to measure and fix.

I was correct. However it is not the mounting, but a completely fuckkered and bent disc.

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp4fr15X/IMG-20190831-155911.jpg

1.6mm of runout. Didnt even need the indicator. I didnt check earlier as needed to make a mount.. some scratchess indicate a disc lock as the cause. Ebay seller is a cunt.
As its a floating disc, suspect it is just sitting scewed on the bobbins and a few hard taps might get it square.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1