BCF: Bike Chat Forums

winter tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pbassred
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:43 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: winter tyres? Reply with quote

I know its summer in the northern hemisphere but I'm thinking ahead. Are winter tyres a thing? They should be but I can't find much reference to them.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea for motorcycles, but I use them on my car Nov-Apr and they're superb. Common misconception they're "snow/ice" tyres; they do perform an order of magnitude better in such conditions, but they also perform better than normal rubber whenever the temperature is below 7 degrees, so I can see a potential application for the year-around motorcyclist, even if said person avoids the frozen stuff . . . assuming such tyres exist for bikes!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Michelin pilot road 4, road 5 or the Metzeller Roadtec 01 will do what you need though.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: winter tyres? Reply with quote

pbassred wrote:
I know its summer in the northern hemisphere but I'm thinking ahead. Are winter tyres a thing? They should be but I can't find much reference to them.

There's not really a lot about in all sizes. Heidenau have some; so do Anlas (a few more sizes https://www.anlas-tyres.co.uk/category/winter/ )

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: winter tyres? Reply with quote

pbassred wrote:

winter summer tyres are better if you fit them to extra wheels.

Not much use in our temperate zone IMHO.

Driving with care is more important all the time.

The suggestions above might be an improvement.

You need a tyre with a softer compound as the cold make the rubber less flexible so it doesn't make such a good sticky to the road.

But value is arguable.

If significant more insurers would be sighting their use for winter driving here in UK.
Presently we do not need them.

pbassred
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:21 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"need" is relative. My new job is in London so I need to ride to and through 5 days a week.
I already have a Pilot road 4 on the rear. I was thinking about some 80/20 tyres at least, but cold temperature grip performance seems more relevant to actual grip.
I like grip.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Not really. Michelin pilot road 4, road 5 or the Metzeller Roadtec 01 will do what you need though.

This ^

Had the roadtec01 for 3 winters, great tyre no issues and the PR3 before that, about the same. Just put on a set of road 5's to see how they fair this winter as my old set was done.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
kgm wrote:

This ^

Had the roadtec01 for 3 winters, great tyre no issues and the PR3 before that, about the same. Just put on a set of road 5's to see how they fair this winter as my old set was done.

Having used all of the above, roadtec are ok in summer with deep tread, but they wont compare to a half worn road 5 in winter. Roadtec drop off quite badly at 4mm on the rear.

Road 5 is thw best cold weather tyre and lasts a fuck ton longer than anything else. As it is summrr Im currently using a racetec k1 front. Transforms it, better than any other upgrade. Racetecs should not be used, or stored, below 10c...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, Michelin did make ''winter'' tyres for scooters some time ago. A quick google search says they still do.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbassred wrote:
My new job is in London so I need to ride to and through 5 days a week.

Do the roads in London ever freeze, I wonder?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:24 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet for cold performance and grip in the wet is a good silicone compound.

So PR4/ road5 then.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
pbassred wrote:

Only the Side roads.

I commute into london 5 days a week all year round for 12 years, I have ridden in heavy snow to work many times. Now I can't be arsed if the weather is too bad I'll just train in. I use PR4's.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not Canada Smile I only recall twice in as many decades of going "fcuk that for a game of soldiers" with regards to frozen roads in London. TBH you'd have more to worry about from salt corrosion than the tyres.

London also tends to be a few degrees warmer than elsewhere from the "brick heat effect" of all the buildings being giant storage heaters Smile

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the car I use vredestein quatracs which are all season tyres. They are more suited to the UK climate IMO when it's mostly cold and wet than a lot of pure winters. They are also great in the snow, which is handy when I'm having to drive in the Highlands. Personally I reckon they make a big difference in the winter on my car but I run Michelin pilot sport 4s in the summer and, whilst great summer tyres, aren't the best in the winter.

Both the PR4 and Roadtec 01 have served me well in winter, although there's still plenty life in the Roadtecs so I can't speak for them when more worn. I'll be trying the road 5 next probably although now I've bought a crf250L I'll no doubt be using they as my winter commuter. I'm interested to see how bad the knobbies are going to be!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live out in proper rural farming country and commute into the city every day all year so I do run into a lot of ice on the roads. Pretty much none of them get gritted out where we are so it's proper brown trousers till you get out on to the main roads.

I've used a mixture of Battlax and Pilot Roads (and a few other horrendous unmentionables...don't EVER use Tourance tyres in winter!) and I usually come back to the T30/T31 for winter. Just taken off a set of Road 5, didn't like them tbh.

All said and done though, there isn't a tyre made (without ice spikes) that will do a goddamned thing if you hit a patch of ice. It's much more about HOW you ride in winter, not WHAT you ride.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

All said and done though, there isn't a tyre made (without ice spikes) that will do a goddamned thing if you hit a patch of ice. It's much more about HOW you ride in winter, not WHAT you ride.

https://youtu.be/kTOfKYUhcEg

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/ZXIelsO.mp4

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

We shouldn't laugh at that.. Sad

Awww Fuck it.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:08 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbassred wrote:
Quote:
"need" is relative. My new job is in London so I need to ride to and through 5 days a week.
I already have a Pilot road 4 on the rear. I was thinking about some 80/20 tyres at least, but cold temperature grip performance seems more relevant to actual grip.
I like grip.

Shocked Youdon't get 'winter' in London man. Try winter up here North of Hadrian's Wall.

I've never had winter tyres, but my girlfriend who needs her car for her work swears by hers. To be honest, if it is frosty at all around here, I don't ride a bike.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the idea that most people commenting dont actually know what conditions winter tyres are actually for. There are for any conditions be it snow , rain, sun when the ambient temperature is below 7 degrees.

A PR5 is not a winter tyre, it doesn't have a high natural rubber content which allows it to stay soft at low temperatures. The same applies to race type tyres.

Some of my riders have used the Sava winter tyres on super scooters and they all highly rate them saying you can feel the extra grip in the rolling resistance.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying that mixed compound sport touring tyres are 'winter tyres'. If I was a better man I'd fit something more suitable in winter, I just don't have it in me (or my pocket) to swap out every season. My experience has been that these tyres are reasonably reliable in awful conditions, not downright unsafe.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
pbassred wrote:

Yes they do, main roads are normally good but side roads which don't get a lot of traffic on can be lethal.

Also it depends on what part of London, go north of the north circular can be a bit tricky.

As for Tyres, BT45 on the front and a Metzler on the rear of my CB250 worked out well.

My Inazuma's will have BT45's front and rear when winter kicks in so I should be okay.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Best bet for cold performance and grip in the wet is a good silicone compound.

So PR4/ road5 then.

Sillicone is for boobs, silica is for tyres. It is a filler, the rubber is still sbs.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5hV-ESBd0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2