BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wheelies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Wheelies Reply with quote

Hello, Hope you're all having a good day better than yesterday.

Wheelies. Every so often I see a lunatic/hero pulling wheelies around the town (Edinburgh).

Is the wheelier (Is there such a word?) a skillful hero that brings a smile to your face or is the wheelier a dangerous nutter ready to kill himself and others. Most I see are relatively safe and look skillful enough.

What are your thoughts on wheelies on public roads? Can you Wheelie? How did you learn?

TL;DR I want to wheelie before I'm 60.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say that everyone's got an opinion, just like everyone's got an exit-hole, but not everyone needs to see it. Laughing

If you've got to do it, you've got to do it. Whenever I've done one, it's been accidental. It will always be easier to learn wheelies if you're in your teens and seemingly made of rubber, and don't care about wrecking your(?) dual sport or classic 2-stroke. I wouldn't want to do it as I don't find it interesting, personally, and I'm not sure if it's the most dignified thing for me to try to do, but there are wheelie schools dotted around the country. Might make a different, interesting weekend away, at least, even if it isn't about your status in an adolescent peer group. We only get a certain amount of time to do what we have to do here, so why not, eh.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Wheelies Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Is the wheelier (Is there such a word?) a skillful hero that brings a smile to your face or is the wheelier a dangerous nutter ready to kill himself and others

There are sometimes a number stupidly indulging in such behaviour in Bedford town centre. Were they to pick somewhere away from traffic it wouldn't matter; but then they wouldn't do it, because they would not be showing off or trying to annoy people. So, these and people who do similar things in similar places, are utter, utter raesholes, plain and simple (appropriate words there).

Plus there's the fact that such behaviour gives motorbikers in general a bad name, which is unhelpful.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:20 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on wheelies on public roads?

Time and a place, middle of a town or anywhere with peds no way - long straight road no junctions with no traffic, game on

Can you Wheelie?

Yeh boiiiii

How did you learn?

Quiet industrial estates, Sunday evenings. Was shit when starting out but like anything it's all about practise

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wheelie on byways, to clear obstacles. It's 50/50 if I end up on my backside though. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:10 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through traffic on a supermoto, legend.

Sports bike on a motorway at 100+, legend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I?

No..

Not very well anyway...

!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:32 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can but I try not to!
Bike is basically built to be naughty and encourages it but I want to keep my licence.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:11 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only from the traffic light grand prix, only noticeable when the front wheel touches down again (ie only an inch or two off the ground,throttle and clutch contro....)

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Wheelies Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Can you Wheelie?

Did one once (so I'm told) accidentally. Really didn't end well. (Does it count if it's the rear wheel which is pawing at the sky?)

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Wheelies Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

What are your thoughts on wheelies on public roads?
Can you Wheelie?
How did you learn?

On suitable stretches of road Thumbs Up

Yes (badly).

Read a guide online (it may even have been on here). Industrial estate on Sunday to put it in to practice.

*Edit* - found it it was this https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=96113

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the polis see it your for the high wheelie.

They say even 1/4" off the road surface is dangerous riding.

You have to be kind of aggressive when serving the beans to wheelie.

Yes I can wheelie Like a Circus Poodle. Cool

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two. One was on purpose and I had no control, the other was an accident and I surprised myself how well I didn't crash.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried since I smashed up my arm and shoulder. Having wheelied my brother's 350LC over the top once, I know how quickly things can get out of hand, although that was down to a sticking throttle. But it worries me that my dodgy arm might not be able to keep things in check.

I used to be able to wheelie my 750 Turbo ok, my 350YPVS was a cinch, and my H2...well, I'd like to have seen someone not wheelie that!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually make that three. I'd forgotten my mate's DT100 I'd put in his neighbour's hedge.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
hedge.

Wub
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with wheelies is that you have to learn by mistakes. Many learn on other peoples bikes so that when they are damaged they can walk away with zero affect to them.

If you can afford to dump your bike, then go ahead and learn on your own bike.

I have wheelied but by error not design. I would love to learn, but can't afford to dump my bike so it will have to be a Wheelie School somewhere some day.

Oh and there is a time and a place.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:10 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You have to be kind of aggressive when serving the beans to wheelie.

I ride a Divvy, there are insufficient beans to counteract my bulk.

On the plus side, I don't want to wheelie so not having to worry about it happening accidentally is a bonus.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
The problem with wheelies is that you have to learn by mistakes. Many learn on other peoples bikes so that when they are damaged they can walk away with zero affect to them.

I learned ok on my own bikes with no resulting crashes, before stacking my brother's LC. As said, that wasn't my fault, but a sticking throttle.

Well, er, ok, he had warned me it had a tendency to do that sometimes, and still I gave it the beans off the lights Embarassed

But no actually - it was his fault for letting me ride his bike in that condition, without first fixing the problem Folded arms

I fixed his bike though. It didn't have much damage. I had to use a bit of filler and respray the tailpiece. And the cat walked over it while the paint was still wet. Twice.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my wheelies have been mistakes. The last one I did was coming off a mini roundabout, still lent over, gave it the beans and the front started to come up. Got a good head shake when it touched down.

Did feel like a TT hero for a couple of seconds while also considering that it could have ended badly and that I'd pretty much had no input in controlling it. The bike pretty much took care of itself because I didn't panic and do anything ham fisted.
Would not try to intentionally repeat.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know what you did to the cat after that? Laughing

Not sure if I'd want to give it its own Kenny Roberts paintwork job, or just use it as an aerosol can warming recepticle instead? Thinking

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do one every morning on the way to work, when i pull into the industrial estate. Early in the am so very few people around, and quite safe. Started doing them there in the hope it'd stop me wanting to wheelie every time i pull into my road on the way home from work.

Which it..er..doesn't.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about wheelies. I reckon it's entirely possible on my bike. Certainly, at the moment, I wouldn't mean to do one and not by design.

Power wheelies would also be possible I think but I'm not twisting the throttle quickly enough to even get close to attempting one.

Kudos to the ones that fly passed on one wheel Laughing

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:49 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings.

On one side, it's dangerous and stupid, on the other side it's super cool, bonus if you crash and end up in youtube.
I saw a guy do a one through a 30 speed camera, must be a new fine evading technique? I wonder if it worked cause he must have been doing ~50.
On long empty roads or estates, sure, not hurting anyone else I figure.

I'm still debating whether to try to learn or not, I don't think the wheelie satisfaction would ever overcome the sadness of dropping the bike. Plus PO geared it higher so might be harder to get up. Still, I can't help the cheeky feeling of "But I wanna!".

I've watched videos on it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I?
Damn right. I can hoist some proper mingers if I have the room and the bike. Not much more fun than sticking a supermoto on it's back wheel the length of the high street when you're in your late teens.

Do I?
Not at the moment. neither of my bikes like them. Even if I did, it would need to be somewhere I won't get caught or plow into shit.

Learned the same way most people will - Quiet carpark, industrial estate etc late night/weekends, although I learned to ride through smaller ones on a crosser offroad years before I touched tarmac, so I had a headstart on mates that hadn't ridden before.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2