Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yet another warranty thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Yet another warranty thread Reply with quote

So I heard a new one today:

"...for the warranty to be valid you must at least have servicing performed by a VAT registered mechanic..."

Thinking

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, pretty standard warranty clause.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit elitist! Plenty of VAT registered mechanics I wouldn't trust to change their socks let alone my bike's engine oil. And plenty of one-man-bands that are very good but too small to be VAT registered (£85,000 is a fair turnover.)

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:30 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it generally means they're more likely to be suitably qualified, as well as more likely to be traceable in the long run. (prove you used genuine Honda parts.....sure, here's the receipt where I bought them into my business) I know sweet FA about warranties, mostly because I don't tend to buy new vehicles, or vehicles that qualify for a worthwhile warranty but ultimately they can impose whatever term or condition they want so long as it falls within EU guidelines - its the EU who mandated that it wasn't necessary to only ever have your service at the main dealer who supplied the vehicle.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my apologies; apparently this is another one of my "You know nothing, Jon Snow" threads where I flop out my n00bness and wave it around for the general amusement of all...

I believe my subconscious was fixated on a servicing video for the Enfield Interceptor - it's an oil boiler and if you go with the (relatively) frequent dealer servicing schedule it would seriously hike up the cost of ownership of said bike. (I was seriously considering an Interceptor at one time.)

Looking in the Honda manual the next service after the initial (which I'd always do at the original dealer just to be sociable if nothing else) is 8000 miles... I'd be lucky to do half that in a year! So not the big deal I thought it would be Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ah, my apologies; apparently this is another one of my "You know nothing, Jon Snow" threads where I flop out my n00bness and wave it around for the general amusement of all...

I believe my subconscious was fixated on a servicing video for the Enfield Interceptor - it's an oil boiler and if you go with the (relatively) frequent dealer servicing schedule it would seriously hike up the cost of ownership of said bike. (I was seriously considering an Interceptor at one time.)

Looking in the Honda manual the next service after the initial (which I'd always do at the original dealer just to be sociable if nothing else) is 8000 miles... I'd be lucky to do half that in a year! So not the big deal I thought it would be Rolling Eyes

I've got an Interceptor, just had it's 3000 mile service, now, judging by what seems to be the norm on here, very people ride that in a year, so, for the majority, that's 1 service a year, hardly breaks the bank. I have to say, it's an absolutely cracking bike..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I've got an Interceptor, just had it's 3000 mile service, now, judging by what seems to be the norm on here, very people ride that in a year, so, for the majority, that's 1 service a year, hardly breaks the bank. I have to say, it's an absolutely cracking bike..

Haha! No, not knocking the Interceptor, 3000 vs 8000 though Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yes 8000, but, you'd wait 2 years for a service? Wouldn't have a annual service? If you did, service, wise no better off than the Interceptor in frequency. I admit, I'm likely to be 2 - 3 services a year on teh Interceptor, as it's not my only bike, so, financially wise, as far as services go, I might be better off with the Honda, but, non currently appeal to me

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'll probably go for an annual service regardless of mileage. So that's only paying dealer prices on 2 extra services (the initial one is a given for the first year) to keep the warranty sweet. The handy thing is the Honda dealer's a stone's throw from my office Smile

The Interceptor was tempting (and a bit cheaper so that might offset the extra servicing) but way more bike than I really need. The Bullet is a comparable weight and engine power to the Rebel but it gives off too much of an "old fogey" vibe whereas they got the "retro classic" thing spot on with the Interceptor Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a rebel 500 and an interceptor make similar power and weigh about the same? Don't Honda advise yearly services if miles aren't met? They did on my cbr500r, same engine as rebel.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel 44bhp/44Nm, Interceptor 47bhp/52Nm hmmm.... maybe you're right Thinking Closer that one might expect considering 471cc vs 648cc.

Still, the Rebel is smaller and lighter which suits my tiny, fragile stature Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1